"Brother In Arms" - Dire Straits
Oct 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jordanross

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been looking for a new copy of "Brother In Arms", but for some reason all the stores in the area only carry the "digital remastered version". In my limited knowledge, I think digital remasters are a unwelcome change from the original piece, tell me otherwise if I'm wrong...

So I guess my question is: Whether or not the Dire Straits "Brother In Arms" digital remaster is superior audiophile-wise to the original CD?

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 21
I have an original cd bought on release and the more recent re-master. The sound quality on both is excellent but surprise surprise the re-master is much louder and has more than likely lost some dynamics in making it 'hotter'. Compared to some of the re-mastered recordings that have annoyed us all recently this one is still 'audiophile'. Either that my or original disc is fading away...
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 21
You might want to poke around eBay for an original - it is a good recording. You may want to consider the SACD version since it has a Redbook layer and sounds wonderful. I listen to the SACD layer, but ripped the other to my iPod for use in the car and it sounds good.

Which reminds me, I also have a copy on vinyl. Not a special audiophile pressing, but sounds fantastic. I think it was about $3.

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound quality on both is excellent but surprise surprise the re-master is much louder and has more than likely lost some dynamics in making it 'hotter'.

Yeah, I couldn't put it in to words but that was my concern. But it's nice to hear that even though they "spiced it up" (IMHO it's unfortunate that they have to) that the SQ is good.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I couldn't put it in to words but that was my concern. But it's nice to hear that even though they "spiced it up" (IMHO it's unfortunate that they have to) that the SQ is good.

I have not gone down the route of normalising my library and I have got both the versions on my ipod currently. I actually have to be careful when the ipod is playing in the car as when on shuffle the transition from the title track to anything by Green Day, Red Hot Chilli Peppers et al......shock and awe....
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 21
Anyone else have any experience with this CD, any more input?

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 21
I have and original CD and the DualDisc DVD-A version. I don't think theres a great deal of difference in the Redbook versions (apart from the DualDisc CD side won't play on my PC).

The DVD side has it in DVD-A 5.1 and 24bit 48 Khz 2 channel PCM, which is nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 21
You're in luck, the JVC XRCD catalogue only has three rock/pop entires: The Eagles' 'When Hell Freezes Over," Steve Miller's "the Joker" and Dire Straight's "Brother in Arms" I just got the "Brothers in Arms" cd, and it's probably one of the most amazing sounding CDS I've ever heard. Right up there with MFSL remastering of Supertramps' "Crime of the Century." I would suggest you get ahold of this CD -- if you're a fan of that album -- before it goes OOP and starts costing $150 on ebay. I read somewhere that the XRCD version of "Brothers" sounds better than the SACD. And the good thing is, you can listen of XRCD on a regular cd player. It's all about meticulous analogue mastering and precise production that makes XRCDs well worth the $30 they cost.

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to poke around eBay for an original - it is a good recording. You may want to consider the SACD version since it has a Redbook layer and sounds wonderful. I listen to the SACD layer, but ripped the other to my iPod for use in the car and it sounds good.

Seconded, the Hybrid SACD is very nice, both layers. If you have no SACD player you might want to try the XRCD but I guess it would be harder/more expensive to come by.

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 21
The hybrid SACD CD layer is very good. The newer SBM Super Bit Mapping remasteres are also very good not distorted in any way however they are a bit louder. This does not matter because there is still a lot of headroom so there is no clipping at all.

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 21
I have the original redbook CD which is quite good, and Stan Ricker's vinyl 1/2 speed remaster which sounds a bit better to me. That could easily just be my preference for vinyl though--they are both excellant. I haven't heard any recent remasters on CD.

What a great album.

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great album.

Yes it is

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're in luck, the JVC XRCD catalogue only has three rock/pop entires: The Eagles' 'When Hell Freezes Over," Steve Miller's "the Joker" and Dire Straight's "Brother in Arms"

If you're in the US, the 2 official pop/rock XRCD releases for this country were Steve Miller's "The Joker" and Tina Turner's "Private Dancer". After that, JVC's XRCD program were shut down in the US. The XRCDs of Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" and Dire Straits' "Brother in Arms" were commissioned by Hong Kong Universal Music, which also commissioned the XRCD of "Carpenters - Gold Greatest Hits", Diana Krall's "Look of Love", and several other pop XRCDs. As with all XRCDs, these were all remastered and manufactured in Japan.

If you're interested, there was a discussion on the XRCD of Carpenters' XRCD at the A&M Forum (A&M was the Carpenters' label in the US)

Back to "Brothers in Arms", I have the US Warner Bros. CD version, the European Vertigo-labeled SBM-remastered CD version, and the SACD (actually I also has a sealed digipak collector version of the SACD). I found the stereo SACD version to sound the best, with a more natural presentation and more slam when needed. The SBM-remastered version is excellent as far as CD version is consern....I think this is what's on the CD layer of the SACD.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IBack to "Brothers in Arms", I have the US Warner Bros. CD version, the European Vertigo-labeled SBM-remastered CD version, and the SACD (actually I also has a sealed digipak collector version of the SACD). I found the stereo SACD version to sound the best, with a more natural presentation and more slam when needed. The SBM-remastered version is excellent as far as CD version is consern....I think this is what's on the CD layer of the SACD.

Same experience here. This pretty much sums it up for me.

I've given away a couple of other copies and only have the SACD and Vertigo SBM copies at this point. Must try the XRCD.

Also have the 1/2 speed remastered 180g vinyl by Stan Ricker. Probably the best of the lot, but I prefer vinyl (as do most) so there is probably a bias there. Something about the ritual gets me more stirred up before dropping the needle and sitting down for a listen. Plus, I tend to listen to the vinyl version when doing demos of my system for friends, so the mood is a big part of my preference.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 21
The hybrid SACD is horribly compressed (both layers), even worse than the late 90s remaster.

Look for the original CD version, try to find a Japan or West German pressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back