BROOKO'S REVIEW & DISCUSSION - LZ Big Dipper IEM
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 45
Ok, so I've spent a couple of days with the BD now and found my preferences with the switches and tips for them so here's some initial impressions and pictures:

First thing first: the switches.
Bass: Putting the bass switch to ON gives great subbass but unfortunately also too much midbass for my liking. A side effect of this is that soundstage width is seriously compromised and goes from a very wide and airy presentation to a intimate, more focused presentation. I definitely prefer the first alternative so this in itself is kind of a deal breaker for me when it comes to using the bass switch. I do also feel that the midrange becomes to distant when turning the bass on.

Midrange: Being a midrange lover I definitely prefer the presentation with the midrange switch set to ON. The midrange quality of the BD is crazy good with exceptional detail and clarity and I most definitely like to get it in focus.

Treble: Putting the treble switch to ON gives a really airy top end but to my ears it's just too much if a good thing and makes the sound less coherent, maybe even unnatural.

So in sum so far the only switch I'm using is the the midrange one.

To start with I found the BD to be really bass light and this sounding an I was honestly quite puzzled and a bit disappointed. Eventually I realized that I wasn't getting a perfect seal although I was sure that I did. Now, with some double flange tips, I get great bass impact and a full midrange with very little (if any) bass bleeding into the midrange. As a matter of fact I've never heard such a a full and rich midrange on any IEM's without feeling that they've got too much upper bass intervene with the mids. I'm also totally amazed that a pair of IEM's can offer such high resolution and clarity without ever sound fatiguing. I've also never heard so many perfect "s" in any IEM's before. Yes, if the recoding is sibilant the BD will show it but less so than many other IEM's I've heard. For me personally I tend to not enjoy IEM's or headphones that doesn't show sibilance if it's there in the recording as it is a sign that they're not detailed enough or roll off too early for me to enjoy them.

I'm comparison to the BD the Super Audio 6 (one of my all time favorite IEM's) sounds really mushy and the bass on the Magosi K3 HD (which has one of my favorite bass presentations) sound really boomy.

Lately I've pretty much been listening to full sized headphones as I've acquired both the HE560 and HD800S the last couple of months and the BD is the only IEM's that I can move directly to from either of these two excellent headphones without feeling initially (until my brain adapt) underwhelmed.

Unfortunately I have only heard a couple of other IEM's in this price range but the BD is undoubtedly the best IEM's I've ever heard. They're just so totally natural sounding, much more so than any other IEM's I've heard.

Isolation is also top notch and both build quality and comfort seems great so far.

Excellent a short review/impressions

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #32 of 45
My review was just published here:

http://www.aproear.co.uk

I'm going to post it here as well but it needs some adjustments first so it'll probably not be until tomorrow.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #33 of 45
Great review Peter - you just need to make one small change. The body isn't plastic - its made (by hand) using UC Curable Resin.

Same sort of stuff they use in customs.

Nov 8, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #34 of 45
@Brooko I am looking to buy my end game IEM but confused between Andromeda and Big Dipper. I am tired of trying mid tier IEMs which is consuming too much money and my time. For the sound signature, I love my FLC8S with red subbass filter and grey bass filter and golden nozzle. I love the bass and especially mid range on flc8s Treble is also fine on flc8s. Don't want any more sparkle. I just want better imaging seperation and resolution. I am also confused between different switches on BD as I don't want to spend unnecessarily. I like my mid range most of all. So what you recommend Brooko. I value your opinions highly.

Nov 8, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #35 of 45
Great review Peter - you just need to make one small change. The body isn't plastic - its made (by hand) using UC Curable Resin.

Same sort of stuff they use in customs.

Thanks for the heads up Paul, I'll make sure to change it.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #36 of 45
@Brooko I am looking to buy my end game IEM but confused between Andromeda and Big Dipper. I am tired of trying mid tier IEMs which is consuming too much money and my time. For the sound signature, I love my FLC8S with red subbass filter and grey bass filter and golden nozzle. I love the bass and especially mid range on flc8s Treble is also fine on flc8s. Don't want any more sparkle. I just want better imaging seperation and resolution. I am also confused between different switches on BD as I don't want to spend unnecessarily. I like my mid range most of all. So what you recommend Brooko. I value your opinions highly.

Hopefully you don't mind the rather large post. I find it easier to show graphs to tell a story. I don't quite have the accuracy I need at 9-10 kHz on the graph, but all will show comparatively the same so it shouldn't be an issue.

Lets start with the first one - all compared to your preferred FLC8S red/grey/gold

Vs Andromeda - and unfortunately I don't have the Andro here to directly compare (mine was only ever a loaner)
I can't directly compare - but the Andro is pretty close - won't have the mid-range bump you like, but is tonally more accurate, and it does have the sub-bass you like

flc8s vs andro.png

Vs Dipper - in this case with bass off, mids on and treble off
Similar bass (FCL8S has more sub), but you can always increase the bass with the dipper. A lot more mid-range emphasis with the Dipper - it is coloured in thsi regard, but one of the rasons I love it. Turning the mid switch off changes the shape of the curve but not the amplitude. Personally I prefer the Dipper - but I like emphasised mids. I usually use the Dipper with bass and mids on and treble off. In that config - they are quite balanced, but with lower mid-range a bit recessed

flc8s vs dipper.png

One you haven't considered is the Alclair Curve - here in two configs (one with Comply foam and the other with Shure Olives)
Curve has less bass and is quite a bit flatter - but the mid-range is really good. Might no have the vividness you are after though

flc8s vs curve 1.png flc8s vs curve 2.png

Next up is the Earsonics ES3 - flat lower mids and mid-bass, elevated sub-bass, really nice mid-rang and a bit of bump at 7 kHz (Cymbals)
Nothing offensive and a really nice signature which isn't too far away from what you like. personally I like the mid-range a little better on the ES3 (more natural in its tonality)

flc8s vs ES3.png

And last but not least - a really good IEM but on the expensive side of things
64 Audio U10 +G1 module. You can see how close they are. With the U10 you get a very wide stage and extremely good clarity. I've revised my original review score up a notch as tme has gone on, and I am seriously considering asking 64Audio if I can buy the review sample I have .....

flc8s vs 64 audio u10.png

Not sure if all of this will confuse matters more or help :wink:

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #37 of 45
Hopefully you don't mind the rather large post. I find it easier to show graphs to tell a story. I don't quite have the accuracy I need at 9-10 kHz on the graph, but all will show comparatively the same so it shouldn't be an issue.

Lets start with the first one - all compared to your preferred FLC8S red/grey/gold

Vs Andromeda - and unfortunately I don't have the Andro here to directly compare (mine was only ever a loaner)
I can't directly compare - but the Andro is pretty close - won't have the mid-range bump you like, but is tonally more accurate, and it does have the sub-bass you like

Similar bass (FCL8S has more sub), but you can always increase the bass with the dipper. A lot more mid-range emphasis with the Dipper - it is coloured in thsi regard, but one of the rasons I love it. Turning the mid switch off changes the shape of the curve but not the amplitude. Personally I prefer the Dipper - but I like emphasised mids. I usually use the Dipper with bass and mids on and treble off. In that config - they are quite balanced, but with lower mid-range a bit recessed

One you haven't considered is the Alclair Curve - here in two configs (one with Comply foam and the other with Shure Olives)
Curve has less bass and is quite a bit flatter - but the mid-range is really good. Might no have the vividness you are after though

Next up is the Earsonics ES3 - flat lower mids and mid-bass, elevated sub-bass, really nice mid-rang and a bit of bump at 7 kHz (Cymbals)
Nothing offensive and a really nice signature which isn't too far away from what you like. personally I like the mid-range a little better on the ES3 (more natural in its tonality)

64 Audio U10 +G1 module. You can see how close they are. With the U10 you get a very wide stage and extremely good clarity. I've revised my original review score up a notch as tme has gone on, and I am seriously considering asking 64Audio if I can buy the review sample I have .....

Thanks for your time and elaborated response. I think the U10 will fit me perfectly, but they are above my budget. Dipper has problem with male vocals. Andromeda lacks the mid focus but looks much more balanced. Choices choices....

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #38 of 45
I think you'd probably quite like the ES3. I'll see if there is anything else I can think of.

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #40 of 45
For me personally - yes, but if you love the FLC8S already, then you may see it as a side-grade.

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #42 of 45

very nice Brooko, you really deserve for 22K+ likes ,

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #43 of 45
Nov 9, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #44 of 45
Great review Peter - they and the Curve are my two favourites. Nice reading some other comparisons with gear I don't have too :)

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #45 of 45
Great review Peter - they and the Curve are my two favourites. Nice reading some other comparisons with gear I don't have too :)

Thanks Paul!

I'm really super impressed of how large a step up they represent compared to all of my other favorite IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back