Broken Zhaolu d2.5a Suggestions?
Nov 20, 2008 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dclancy

500+ Head-Fier
It won't turn on period. I get no light, no sound.
Tried changing the fuse. Tried another cord.
I would love to fix this so I can just sell or trade it away.
Any suggestions?

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Well, it could be the switch, of course. I seem to remember the d2.5 has a complex ac line filter inside the metal shield; that could be the problem.

Do you have a multi-meter?

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 16
Zhaolu's had IEC inlet with integrated fuse, but the metal part of fuse holder often got loose and lost contact with the IEC blades.

If this is the problem, soldering the metal fuse holder to IEC blades from inside the DAC will fix your problem.

If not, it could be one of many other possible problems you probably can't fix yourself...

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I get a hold of a multi-meter, what the first thing to check?

With the DAC unplugged, put the DMM in ohms mode and connect it to the two blades of the AC plug. Turn the power switch ON (remember this is unplugged from the wall). If you do not get a pretty low ohms reading (under 100 ohms I would think), you do not have continuity thru the IEC/fuse/switch. If this is the case, start tracing thru the IEC to the fuse, etc. until you find the problem.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 16
Alternatively, you could check for the line voltage coming out of the IEC module. Put the DMM in AC volts mode and put the probes on Hot + Neutral (L & N).

If you don't read the line voltage across these terminals, you've found a problem. If you do read the line voltage, you should then find the output of the power supply and measure the DC volts across it.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 16
If you can't fix it, you can send it off to me, I wouldn't mind playing with another broken DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't fix it, you can send it off to me, I wouldn't mind playing with another broken DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

I was waiting for dclancy to get frustrated and then I would make the same offer. I have some experience with the Zhaolu 2.5. It's a bitch getting the chassis apart because of the shield over the line filter between the IEC inlet and the transformer.

d25_1a.jpg

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 16
^^Ha!
Tell you what. I bought a multi meter Sun, but haven't messed with it, the Zhaolu's still sitting in my office, I keep forgetting to bring it home.
I'll try a few things, nod a few suggestions.
I honestly wouldn't know what to charge for a busted Zhaolu. Something fair on both ends. Seriously, this has less than 10hrs use, it's prestine. I turned it on once, played with it a bit, turned it off, it never turned back on. I screwed up by not returning it. (long story, hectic 1st qtr, long story)
I'm sure it's a simple fix. If someone wants to buy it, I'll take it to the other forum, and start PM'ing those interested, I won't start shilling on this thread, I want to stay focused.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 16
I think I found the culprit. I wasn't getting any readings from the get-go. So it was simple to take out the power PCB. and when I flipped it over I found it wasn't making a connection (bottom right hand part of the board).

Well, I want some suggections, buy a new PCB, or solder a wire jumping the 2 points. If so what gauge, and where could I buy a new board cheap?

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 16
I would just solder a #22 gauge solid uninsulated wire to replace the missing trace.

I have read that the Zhaolu sounds better without this board, which is only a power-line filter.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 16
^^^ Interesting! I can bypass it?
The more I think a bout it the more I want to fool around with it and keep it.
I'll try to solder it this weekend. Thanks for the help all! I admit I would love to be a DIY'er, but if I even want to find time to listen to music nowadays, I have to stay up till about 2 a.m., let alone make the gear to play it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back