Broken headband on DJX-1 and Steelseries Siberia - best way to fix it?
Feb 25, 2011 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jema

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Some time back I had an accident with my bike, in which the cable to my DJX-1 was in the wrong place. Instead of the headphones flying off my head and smash to the ground, or the cable break, the headband snapped right off in the extendable part above the right speaker.

I bought it second hand and have no insurance, and have not contacted Beyerdynamic to see what it would cost to fix. I don't know if you can buy a new headband from the same or another model and use that? The cables are fine so the headphone still works, and the pieces fit together. So is there any good way to repair it yourself? Maybe a really strong glue and some metal reinforcement? Or is a new headband the best alternative?

I have a similar problem with my Steelseries Siberia, that got a crack from frequent use and eventually broke. I don't use them much, but it would be nice to be able to sometimes - they are extremely comfortable.

Thanks beforehand!

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 8
So, some more info:

I sent a mail to the distributors of Beyerdynamics in my country, but haven't heard back from them. I didn't think I would, but you never can know for sure.

I asked a friend who had some experience with using glue on different things, and he said that a strong one can in many cases create a bond at least as hard as the original material. I know that the pressure needed to be withstood depends partly on the size of the two surfaces being put together, and the kind of material. If nobody have tried this specific repair, could you maybe comment on using glue on this type of material and size of surface?

May 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Hello, sorry to hear about your DJX-1's.  Careful application of Krazy glue should work excellent, and virtually bonds to anything - especially plastic (be careful, it also bonds to skin).  By the way, how is the sound on the djx 1's?  I'm seriously considering getting myself a pair. :)

May 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 8

Thank's - finally a comment :)
Good to hear someone is comfident glue will work - Ill try that one or an equivalent option.

Regarding the sound, they have been broken for a few years now, so it's been quite a long time since I heard them. I remember that I preferred them to my Philips SBC-HP890, and the above mentioned Siberia. Punchy bass and I think they had pretty good extension in the highs - I really liked them back then and they isolated decently, but they clam pretty hard and hurt after an hour or so. There are a few others on this forum that have them and seem to like them.

I'll try to fix them this week, and if all goes well I can do a little review if you like, compared to HD580 and HD25-1.

May 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:

Thank's - finally a comment :)
Good to hear someone is comfident glue will work - Ill try that one or an equivalent option.

Regarding the sound, they have been broken for a few years now, so it's been quite a long time since I heard them. I remember that I preferred them to my Philips SBC-HP890, and the above mentioned Siberia. Punchy bass and I think they had pretty good extension in the highs - I really liked them back then and they isolated decently, but they clam pretty hard and hurt after an hour or so. There are a few others on this forum that have them and seem to like them.

I'll try to fix them this week, and if all goes well I can do a little review if you like, compared to HD580 and HD25-1.

Oh yeah!  Would love to see a review on these!
gs1000.gif

I in the meantime had pulled the trigger on another new DJ phone - AthPro700mk2 - will be in tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back