Broke College student looking for a nice pair of cans...
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bookie78

New Head-Fier
As the title says I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones, but I'm on a slim budget ($100-130).  I've often visited the site to research some headphones, but there are so many choices, and I don't have a ton of time to look at all of them.  I was wondering if anybody could suggest some headphones that would fit into the things I need in my next purchase.  The music I listen too ranges from Mumford and Sons, to  Wale, to Blake shelton, so I need a well rounded headphone

Must Haves
  1. detachable cord 
  2. over-ear(would consider on-ear)
  3. Solid build quality
  4. tight bass

After doing my research I've absolutely fallen in love with the V-moda crosfade line...and I really like the Boomphones, but I want to make sure I absolutely get the best headphone for my dollar so I'm willing to be patient....Any wisdom you could impart on a budding audiophile would be greatly appreciated...

Oh yeah I absolutely LOATHE BEATS BY DRE, and headphones with cords coming out of both housing units(I can't be the only one)

Thanks to all that reply 

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 22
Highly recommend you give the JVC S500 cans a shot. They have quite a large following on Head-Fi and the majority of those who have heard them have nothing but positive things to say about them. 

Plus they cost only ~$50 :)

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
As the title says I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones, but I'm on a slim budget ($100-130).  I've often visited the site to research some headphones, but there are so many choices, and I don't have a ton of time to look at all of them.  I was wondering if anybody could suggest some headphones that would fit into the things I need in my next purchase.  The music I listen too ranges from Mumford and Sons, to  Wale, to Blake shelton, so I need a well rounded headphone

Must Haves
  1. detachable cord 
  2. over-ear(would consider on-ear)
  3. Solid build quality
  4. tight bass

After doing my research I've absolutely fallen in love with the V-moda crosfade line...and I really like the Boomphones, but I want to make sure I absolutely get the best headphone for my dollar so I'm willing to be patient....Any wisdom you could impart on a budding audiophile would be greatly appreciated...

Oh yeah I absolutely LOATHE BEATS BY DRE, and headphones with cords coming out of both housing units(I can't be the only one)

Thanks to all that reply 

Heya,

Look into:

Ultrasone DJ1
Brainwavz HM5
Shure SRH750 DJ
M-Audio Q40

Very best,

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 22
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MOC28/sr=8-1/qid=1361692936/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1361692936&seller=&sr=8-1

tight bass...allrounder.
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 22
That's not what I meant, sorry if you feel offended.
I'm not particularly familiar with US student load system. Aren't you supposed to pay that after you have a job?

Scholarships and loans pay for classes and sometimes books or supplies. They don't pay for beer, dates, food, or headphones and class-time and homework don't leave much free time for low paying unskilled service jobs that EVERYONE going to your college is competing with you to get.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
That's not what I meant, sorry if you feel offended.
I'm not particularly familiar with US student load system. Aren't you supposed to pay that after you have a job?

That's the theory, but even if you do get financial aid of any kind, it's usually just barely enough to get by and comes with all sorts of stipulations. Personally, I don't think I've met a single non-broke college student that didn't work their ass off on the side somehow throughout my university career (I fall into this category, but the workload seriously drives me bonkers sometimes). All in all, the education system and economic status of the average person in the US are 2 things I certainly wouldn't rate very highly over here.

Anyways, to the OP: I highly recommend checking out some used Sennheiser HD 25-1's. They are on-ear, but the isolation and durability are great, and they have really tight punchy bass (more so than any of the v-moda's).

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 22
Hello fellow broke college student! I have the Senn 439 and they fit all of your criteria and might be even cheaper. I got them and they are great! Solid SQ, comfy, light, looks good. I think they would be great if your still your looking or if anyone else is looking who also a broke college student

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 22
Is sound leakage going to be an issue? this will limit your search to closed back ones only.. 

Also what are you running them off mainly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back