Bristol Meet (Feb 24th '07)
Mar 2, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
At this point I should mention the generosity of Doctorjuggles (Justin) who sent me a bunch of Shure foamies for people to try with the various IEM's.

No problem, glad to help and hope they came in useful.

Dex, are those Maha Powerex batteries hooked up in the second pic there? If so, where'd they come from? I'm trying to get hold of the new 300mAh ones but can't find them anywhere in the EU.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dex, are those Maha Powerex batteries hooked up in the second pic there? If so, where'd they come from? I'm trying to get hold of the new 300mAh ones but can't find them anywhere in the EU.

Hi Justin,

They are indeed Maha Powerex 9.6V rechargeables. I got them from Thomas Distributing, along with the special Maha 9V battery "smart charger" and had the lot shipped to my parents back in the States, who forwarded them along in their next shipment of goodies for the grandkids.
wink.gif

Thomas ships internationally, but shipping and duty costs might become a factor for you.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 36
And here are some more piccies:

BrMeet15.jpg

Go-Vibe V5S with D.I.Y. external battery pack

BrMeet14.jpg

Qables SilverCab line-out dock in Ultrasone blue

BrMeet4.jpg

Stew's K-1000 w/Jonathan's AVI CD player

BrMeet5.jpg

Jonathan's Blue Dragon-cabled HD650 w/CanAmp

BrMeet6.jpg

Demonstrating the impressive girth of the Blue Dragon plug vs. stock Ultrasone cable
eek.gif

One more photo set and impressions to follow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #19 of 36
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with going home and things.
Just like to add my thanks for everyone who attended the meet, and who let me listen to thier gear they bought along. I was surprised how friendly eveyone was, and how layed back everyone was about letting others listen to thier expensive equipment.
I think my favourites of the day were the K1Ks, Floats, and the RS-1s. It was also really good listening to some of the amps which were about. I really enjoyed a couple of the tube amps which were floating around.
Stew, sorry you missed my Sharps, and the Beyers. I'm glad you thought they were a comfy fit, despite weighing about 600g. I bought them for thier extreme looks
smily_headphones1.gif
Have a listen next time, deffinately. I had to be elswhere, but I could have easilly stayed for the best part of the day listening and comparing all the different rigs. I'm sorry I had to run.
Thanks once again to everyone who I met, and especially Stew for hosting the meet. I was really surprised at the friendly atmosphere, can't wait for the next one
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Justin,

They are indeed Maha Powerex 9.6V rechargeables. I got them from Thomas Distributing, along with the special Maha 9V battery "smart charger" and had the lot shipped to my parents back in the States, who forwarded them along in their next shipment of goodies for the grandkids.
wink.gif

Thomas ships internationally, but shipping and duty costs might become a factor for you.

Thanks for the info, Dex.
Yep, I've seen them on Thomas, that's the first place I learned about them, but figured that kind of shipping charge means I'm probably better off either waiting for them to become available in the EU or just sticking with the Tysonic and Accu-Power that I already have.
Cheers.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, Dex.
Yep, I've seen them on Thomas, that's the first place I learned about them, but figured that kind of shipping charge means I'm probably better off either waiting for them to become available in the EU or just sticking with the Tysonic and Accu-Power that I already have.
Cheers.

Try looking for outlets in the UK that sell paintballing supplies. I believe that's where most of these fortified 9-volt rechargeables end up, serving duty in the service of splattering opponents.
gun_bandana.gif
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 36
Hi folks,

Here are a few of my impressions - sorry about the lateness.

First of all, a big thank you to Stew for organizing the event. I really enjoyed meeting you all, and listening to the kit too.

The K1000s rule. Wonderful sound, and with a non-headphone-like quality I've never heard in anything else. Thoroughly exciting presentation, but felt like you would never get tired listening to them. They do show up the quality of the source though, so they seem like a serious investment, but well worth it.

Dex's Ultrasone collection was a revelation. All great headphones, but my favourite was the 2500: open really does beat closed for an all-round enjoyable sound IMVHO, and the 2500's are more subtle and detailed than the Proline 650 I use at work. The Heed is clearly an excellent amp too (hard to tell just how good under meet conditions).

Finally, Pete's ER4's have a lovely sound, beautiful as well as detailed, but I couldn't get used to having them stuck in my ears.
frown.gif

That's all I can remember. Hope we can do the same again next year.

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #26 of 36
Good to hear some impressions from you Jonathan, I was wondering where you'd got to. My initial guess was busy unpacking all of those boxes again.
tongue.gif

It's interesting that after a week or so, without reading my impressions back, the few that stand out most strongly are probably those you've just listed. K1000's rock big time (well okay, not hard to remember as I'm wearing them). Ultrasones are a nice surprise, and the ER4's sounded great but were a pain in the ass to use.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 36
Apologies for the late impressions.

Jonathan and I arrived to find Stew setting-up in a nice spacious student meeting room with good tables and plenty of electrical outlets. After some shifting around of chairs, we began to set up. We were soon joined by Matt and Pete, so it was mainly the five of us for the time I was there.

Beginning Chez Stew, while I'd seen it plenty of times in photos, nothing could quite prepare me for my first encounter with the notorious Jecklin Float, a relic from a bygone era, if not another planet!
icon10.gif
Slipping it on was like awaiting a countdown for a launch. It was a comfy as it looks, and much lighter than I expected. The sound, while not exactly audiophile quality, was decent enough and altogether quite engaging, once I was able to set aside self-consciousness. Great fun!
cool.gif

Naturally, I was thrilled to spend some more time with a pair of K-1000s. They really are just magical in their way and share lots of the speaker-like attributes that I've come enjoy with my Ultrasones, particularly the PROline 2500. I'd love to have a pair on-hand if only for acoustic music. Perhaps AKG will re-launch them eventually.
k1000smile.gif

I felt fortunate to be sharing my table with Pete. Our respective gear was quite different, yet quite conducive to mixing & matching. His yellow-foamed Alessandro MS-1s were just a wonderful surprise. For what they cost, they do just about everything one could reasonably ask of them and with a real flair. Lightweight, comfortable rockers in a lovely, tidy package. I found myself returning to them more than a few times, trying them with different sources and amplifiers. They just made me smile and I could not find much fault in them.

Pete's HeadFive was a surprise of a different sort. It just couldn't manage the grunt to properly drive my 40 Ohm PROlines. Switching back to the Alessandros, I tried in vain to understand the effect of the crossfeed circuit. But I failed to hear any useful difference with this pairing.

Likewise, the LittleDotMicro+, while cute and cheerful, is not quite in the same league as the Go-Vibe as it struggled with my Ultrasones. So it was no surprise to me that Pete ended up buying Stew's PA2V2, which I didn't get the chance to hear.

Jonathan was easily the Father Christmas of the meet, pulling out goodies and toys continually for the rest of us to ogle and listen to. Of these, my favorites were his Stax SR-001 Mk2 portable ear-speakers, which, aside from looking dead-cool in all the right ways, were and absolute sonic delight. And I shudder to think that an evening spent surfing the Audio Cubes site with an itchy credit card could land me a pair of these dandies one day.
eek.gif

End of Part One, more still to follow!
basshead.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 36
I'm most interested in the impressions of the canamp. That amp has been teasing me for months, and it doesn't help that they are elusive and the hype-o-meter blasted clear out of the sky! SO PLEASE GUYS : CANAMP IMPRESSIONS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back