Brisbane NOVEMBER 2012 Meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #46 of 236
yeah i'll have something, if I have a date to work towards even if i'm not finished with installing the 2nd stereo dac in the case i'll knock that on the head and neaten up the 2 channel format for the meet since its of little importance to headphones till I can convince the MCU to switch between 2 channel dual diff headphone and 4 channel 2 way crossover mode. I need to just deal with the fact that this dac is going to be a 2 box affair I think, the many armed toroid and stick regs have really made things easier, but i'm filling up space as soon as I clear it. setting up the spdif/i2s fifo with synchronous clocking on the bench at the moment, should be interesting and yes, loving the Si570 DSPLL announcement

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #47 of 236
Still trying to figure out what dac to use with the i2s out, looking at the Ackodac but can't really make head nor tail of the site and what's needed, qusp, you are just up the road from me, can I drop up at somepoint so I can understand a bit more face to face please?
Anyone have suggestions for DAC to use?
As a thought, how about 26th of May for the meet?

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #48 of 236
I'm only 15min drive from qusp, though he has more dacs than any human really has rights to! :D

My thoughts are that in terms of diy dacs the acko dacs are VERY nice, not a my-first-dac project though, they will not just be a plug and play build. Also not the cheapest option going, though in this case you can see where the extra money over the alternatives is going. Don't start building a diy-dac with the primary objective to do it on the cheap no matter which dac you chose, you will likely come out disappointed.

For my dac build I am avoiding current output dac chips intentionally to remove the I-V stages from my build, even if it is an intentional stop-gap just to allow me to have a functional reference point for testing.

May 5, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #50 of 236
here we are in May, any thoughts ?
smile.gif

May 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #54 of 236

Quote:
For my dac build I am avoiding current output dac chips intentionally to remove the I-V stages from my build, even if it is an intentional stop-gap just to allow me to have a functional reference point for testing.

You can always be like me and (much to master q's disdain) completely butcher the current output with transformers and other such sticky things 
cool.gif

May 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #55 of 236
Quote:

You can always be like me and (much to master q's disdain) completely butcher the current output with transformers and other such sticky things 
cool.gif

current output? what current output?

May 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #56 of 236
You're an angry man.

May 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #57 of 236
Here's a thought experiment for you then, v-out WM8741 through a BAL-SE 'The Wire' buffer OR your favorite ess dac fed into transformers ... which is more offensive to the audiophile within? 

Next you'll be suggesting some sort of toob device?!
eek.gif

May 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #58 of 236
I loved the 8741 when I had my dac using it, nothing offensive hehe

Suggest!? Try push at every turn  =)

May 18, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #60 of 236
try reading the last few pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back