Sweet pics - lots of nice gear!
Now time for the pics of the girl with the incredible body
smile.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #32 of 88
Great!
Plenty of excellent gear around there. Lots of attenders as well. :D

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #35 of 88

Quote:
I came home injured. It looks like the MS ultimate mod finally ko'ed the crappy Grado glue holding the driver shield in place. I've been putting off this for half a year and it took all of 4 minutes to do lol. Now I want to redo the other side too.

Well I've got the audio bug again. I have money. Oh crap...

:S Sorry Niall!!! Oh no, I hope they're ok, I put half the blue tak on so they wouldn't damage anyone's cans, looks like that was still too much. :SSSSS

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #36 of 88
Nah all it would have taken was a bit of a push. Grado glue ftl. It's sitting on the kitchen table drying :p. I'm going to do the other side too so they look newish.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #40 of 88

Quote:
I happened to have listened to all of the four (owning 2). The HE-5 is pretty different to the other three with a much larger and more spacious sound. JIGF was saying that he's had a hard time finding an amp to drive them better than the EF5. They sounded good to me out of the EC Balancing Act but I never got a chance to listen to the EF5 :p. The other thing that was interesting was how smooth the HE-5 was compared to say a RS-1. 

Interesting that they sound smooth compared to the RS1.  I would expect the HE-5 to sound pretty good out of a $4k+ amp :)
How did you find them for bass impact and extension?

Quote:
On my concerto and stagedac I found the AD2000's to be veiled compared to what I've become accustomed to.

I think the only holy crap moment I had was listening to my pro900's on jrisles rig with some extremely well recorded drums and it was great watching other people listen to the same track because you could see the changes in peoples faces as soon as the drums kicked in. 

Wow I thought I would never see the day that the AD2000 was said to sound veiled - but as you say it is all relative and subjective.  I remember you saying that 1 of the things you wanted to discover was how much difference a good dac makes... can you shed any light on how that went :)

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #42 of 88

Quote:
First off, thanks to everyone who helped put together the meet. The amount of gear on display was impressive and everyone was very generous in allowing it to be used by (essentially) strangers.

I managed to get a brief listen to the RS-1s and found a lot to like about them, they were just a bit too forward compared to the MS-Pros for my taste. 

The DT880s were pretty nice out of the Burson, a good contrast to the MS-Pros - a more spacious sound, more bass.

Tried the K701s and wasn't that impressed - on one track I encountered a pretty exaggerated and unnatural soundstage (tried it with both the Burson and the Red Wine Audio amps) which put me off.

Found the (modded?) GS-1000s with the bowls just too boomy in the bass, although they were more comfy than the stock MS-Pro foams.

Plenty of amps to try and I had a go at most of them. Didn't glean too much except that just about everything I tried is going to make my MS-Pros sound better than with my Corda Move. 
smile_phones.gif

Yeah I've got the burson and dt880 and I think it is a better combination than my hd600 with the burson.  The DT880s are a little bit polite but the burson really breathes life into them. Its a good synergy. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #43 of 88

Quote:
JIGF - thanks for the pics.

lol'd at your captions - some guy, someone's table, etc...

Yeah that some guy was JIFG :p

In case anyone is confused, the table with RWA gear is Audio Addiction's table. COEM's table was next to it and has the red KingRex amp.

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #44 of 88
I think I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not a discerning audiophile and the meet itself was not the best place for making any serious conclusions even about the differences between headphones but it was a bit of fun =) 

Quote:
Wow I thought I would never see the day that the AD2000 was said to sound veiled - but as you say it is all relative and subjective.  I remember you saying that 1 of the things you wanted to discover was how much difference a good dac makes... can you shed any light on how that went :)

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #45 of 88
It's not an ideal listening environment and I need to listen to a song several times on each headphone to really understand all the differences. You can't do that at a meet.
It is still nice to see all the gear and to talk to people about their experiences. I found that Thrawn and I had completely different perspectives on just about every headphone and even dacs. That makes it much more interesting.

Would you go to another meet Tisb0b? Maybe you can just take one well known song to every set up. JIFG's dad wanted another meet later on in the year but I think that will be too close. If we hold one early next year, we might have some extra gear from Christmas purchases. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back