Brilliant ER4 tip mod
Mar 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #46 of 53
Just wondering I anyone favours the Ety foam tips over the flanges or comply tips? I do like the triple flanges but find they lend a cold somewhat thin edge to the sound as well as causing itch and fatigue after a while. I much prefer the comfort and added bass and warmth offered by the foam tips (am referring to the medium ER4-14F here).

Having said all of that, this mod looks like a fantastic idea as it gives me an excuse to butcher those itchy flanges! I've tried it out briefly using the spacers and it does indeed seem to open the soundstage up. Haven't noticed any sibilence either yet.

But will have to give it some more road testing before deciding for sure.

Anyone got any other tip mod ideas for the ER4S?

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #47 of 53
Just tried this on some 4S's I've been trying out. I can confirm to my ears spacing does improve the stage as well as smoothing out the sound a bit IMO. It actually seems to have increased isolation for me too maybe allowing the tips to conform to my canals a bit better.

@Benny. The foams increased isolation over the Tri's for me but I did not care for the sound signature at all.

This is a great find for Ety lovers. Sadly I will be sending my Ety's back, it seems I just prefer the sound of Dynamic Drivers more than BA's. I do love Ety's though, it was the Etymotic booth at CES that got me back into headphones after tolerating Shures for so long.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #48 of 53
Well I'm still having trouble with my ER-4Ps. The mid/large flanges are too big, the sm/mid too small, the frosted too stiff, the gliders too deep...
frown.gif

Also I hate the material that the grey tri-flanges are made out of. It's like latex or something, really really sticky and it's painful to remove the earphone because it's almost impossible to break the seal gently.

I'm still looking for a silicone tip solution. I have tried Klipsch gels too but felt they degraded the sound quality.

If anyone has a suggestion for a silicone tip to try, please post.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm still having trouble with my ER-4Ps. The mid/large flanges are too big, the sm/mid too small, the frosted too stiff, the gliders too deep...
frown.gif

Also I hate the material that the grey tri-flanges are made out of. It's like latex or something, really really sticky and it's painful to remove the earphone because it's almost impossible to break the seal gently.

I'm still looking for a silicone tip solution. I have tried Klipsch gels too but felt they degraded the sound quality.

If anyone has a suggestion for a silicone tip to try, please post.

Have you tried the foams?

An additional note on the spacer mod: I've been giving my newly modded spacer-added foamies a wee walk out in the fresh air this afternoon, and I'm more than chuffed with the difference this change has made. The soundstage is bigger and everything just seems more musical and embracing. I've been listening to Kendra Shanks' 'Afterglow', Dylan's 'Blonde On Blonde' and Eeels' 'Live At Town Hall' and in all three cases the improvement with that simple little spacer added is pretty amazing.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I owe you all a pint.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #50 of 53
I did try the foams but I felt they sounded kind of muffled, and the procedure of inserting them is kind of tedious, along with the knowledge that I'll have to replace them every month or so... not so attractive.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #51 of 53
I've gotta try it out... but I don't have a Glider!
I hate the tripleflange... I felt dizzy when I insert/ remove the phone (I'm not joking, I feel this kind of imbalance of pressure, horrible)

I'm currently using it with long Comply tips, provides the best isolation so far...

Mar 27, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #52 of 53
Just tried the spacer mod with the Ety gliders and it makes a BIG difference for the better - really opens up the soundstage.

p.s. am using ER4S via a Headsix if that helps.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #53 of 53
Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread, but wanted to thank you guys for the mod - I had moved on from the ER4S to a DN2000J, and while the mod doesn't provide the bass punch and impact that the DN2000J has, it at least has solved the sibilance and narrow soundstage =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back