Brilliant ER4 tip mod
Aug 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #31 of 53
As far in as is possible would be my answer

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #32 of 53
Aren't they a tad bulk to enter the canal?

Do they work like the foams - or what?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #33 of 53
They work the same way as the black olives except that they dont really stay compressed when you squeze them so just ram them in (thats what I alway do). If you have a very narrow ear canal they might not fit so well and they only come in one size rougly equivalent to medium black olives

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #34 of 53
What's all this about the gliders sharpening the treble???????
I have absolutely no idea where that came from.
I use the gliders all the time and they suppress the treble.
Make the whole sig of the ety's that bit warmer.
But sharpen the treble they definitely do not.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #35 of 53
No I don't think they sharpen the treble, they just generally make to mid and treble sound weird, at least to my ears. Initially I quite liked them but after a while it was just all wrong except for the increase in sound stage that they do provide

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #36 of 53
I see.
Personally i think they are a smashing tip,makes the ety really smashing to listen to.
Only problem i've found is after a while one of my ears will start to get sore so i resort back to the tri flanges,which i do prefer for that all out ety sound but the glider is cool.
Couldn't wear them shure foams with em though,they hurt like hell from the moment i tried them ages ago, so i never bothered again.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #37 of 53
I just cut up an old pair of tri-flanges so that I can try this mod on my flight tomorrow. I will be using the grey tri-flanges.
RC

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see.
Personally i think they are a smashing tip,makes the ety really smashing to listen to.
Only problem i've found is after a while one of my ears will start to get sore so i resort back to the tri flanges,which i do prefer for that all out ety sound but the glider is cool.
Couldn't wear them shure foams with em though,they hurt like hell from the moment i tried them ages ago, so i never bothered again.

Yes it really is amazing how different ears take to the various tips available. I can't at all use the tri-flange for the pain it gives me. My feeling is that the problem with the glider is that the channel in the tip is musch narrower than the other tips and since it sticks out over the end of the sound tube it does something to the sound when it has to go through a narrower passage.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #39 of 53
guys, i very rarely post here (this might even be my first post in the forums) because i rarely have something to say...

but today, is a new day...lol...

i've been an ety(and head fi) fan for a while, but only in the last few months I tried to mod its "tips"

so, trying different materials and different tips i've found worse tips, not much better tips and then.... one that is the best of them all for me(by a big difference...)

i dont know how to describe it with audiophile vocabulary, or either in any vocabulary...i just find it so much more.... delightful to listen to these IEMs now...

and i wanted to share how the tip is, but i don't know how to describe it, so i guess you'll have to find out for yourselves...

lol...just kidding x)

i guess this is something all of you IEM users know by now, but i'd like to repeat it:

This "new tip" might not feel confortable for you, actually it might not even fit in your ears, or it might fit and stay confortable and sound awful, so im very sorry if this little "mod" disapoints you....

ok, lets cut the crop..(hehe)

Basically, its the very tip of the Tripple Flanged eartip. Just the smaller flange, but when you cut the tip you must cut the THIRD off and leave the first TWO flanges(transforming it into basically a 2 flanged eartip). Then, you trim the "mushroom hat" off the bigger flange of the 2 (the medium of the 3), leaving the "main column" of the first and second flanges but only the smallest flanges "mushroom hat"

making it basically a supersmall silicon glider tip.

Ok, so the problem is, it is so small you have to fit it quite deep to be able to "seal" your ear canal....

If you cant manage to make it fit, maybe you could try cutting off the smallest flange, trim the largest "mushroom hat" and have an medium sized silicon glider tip...

I find it sounds best, its most confortable and also much more durable than the gliders...

I know my describing abilities aren't any good, my poor english doesnt help, but thats how i can try to share my findings with you...

Hopefully later this week i'll have my camera back and i can take some pics from the "super mini mushroom hat" if it is of your interest...

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #40 of 53
Pictures would be useful if you can - interesting.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #41 of 53
okey, sorry about the delay...

just got my camera back x)

forgot to mention, thats a modded er-6 tip that I use on my er-4p..

here it goes:

moddeder6tip.jpg

I'm quite sure this has already been done, I'm just saying you should also give it a try if you have any spare tips x)

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I don't think they sharpen the treble, they just generally make to mid and treble sound weird, at least to my ears. Initially I quite liked them but after a while it was just all wrong except for the increase in sound stage that they do provide

there's a way around that... all you need to do is find a tube which has 1. bigger inner diameter than the IEM nozzle 2. small enough outer diameter to be shoved in from the front of the tip 3. been made of material thats easy enough to cut through...

basically you are looking for something to prop the opening wide enough to let all the sound through, and cut barely long enough to cover the parts of the tip which the nozzle doesnt reach... it would probably be so short that it is more like a ring than a tube, but the results are going to be well worth the effort...

i used the tube from a mechanical pencil, thats the only thing i can think of, but you might find something suitable from somewhere else... the tube , the material its made of, its thickness and lenght, has a major effect on the sound that you get, so you can tune it as many ways as different types of compatible tube you can find... most likely it will be a vast improvement over having the tip blocking or absorbing the sound...
if you are having the sound quality problem with foam tips, it would be caused by the sleeves in the tips... on my Comply tips, these sleeves had to be gutted since they are nowhere nearly as flexible as the silicone tips, and the tube would be glued in place of the original sleeve, so make sure the tube can fit over your IEM nozzle

the stiffness and shape of the tip would be affected by the tube, too... its shape would change closer to being like a cylinder, which might be good for keeping it in people's ears, and the stiffness makes it easier to remove from and re-attach onto the IEM... but for long tips like the Comply P series, you'll need a long tube, and it might dig into the sides of your ear canal when you insert it...

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #43 of 53
Sorry to drag back up an old thread, but I just got my ER-4Ps from the Amazon UK deal, so I figured a few other people in a similar situation might benefit from reading it.

For my own part, I found the ER-4Ps pretty uncomfortable at the start. The clear triple flanges were very stiff and quite painful, so I trimmed them down to the mid and large flange. Still not comfortable enough, so I tried the grey tri flange, and they were too big. Then grey mid/large, bit better. Finally I tried small/mid flange with my second greys, and that's the best so far. I've basically mutilated all of my tips at this stage...

Still not as comfortable as my ER-6 bi-flanges, but they don't really fit.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #44 of 53
thanks for bringing this back to life I had never seen it and I'm a devoted Ety4p user. I bought these glider tips and find, unlike Antony or Jan, they're very stiff and rigid; not soft and pliant at all. Wonder if in the past year they've changed the design or the material from which they're made?? Will try the mod, though. Can't wait for more open soundstage

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 53
O WOW Just did this mod, since I've got both Glider and Olive. What a HUGE difference. Listened to some Mahler symphony and some B Minor Mass and the soundstage was almost surreal. Anyone with Etys just has to try this. the difference is phenomenal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back