Brief Odac impressions
Oct 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #1,126 of 2,018
K_19

From the JDA Labs site "RCA Output - RCA output jacks at rear, 3.5mm output and USB jack at front. Black endplates. 95mm case length. Note: The ODAC supports only 1 output; do not use 3.5mm and RCA jacks simultaneously"

Note they indicate NOT to use the 3.5mm and RCA jack at the same time.

I have (2) of the ODACS, one for standalone apps and the other integrated into an enclosure with the O2 Amp.

I use the RCA stand alone version to use in a 2 ch speaker system,

Alex

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,127 of 2,018
Aw shucks... thanks for the reply.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,128 of 2,018
hey guys, anyone here using e-mu 0404 usb? i was wondering how it compares to the o2d (o2 with odac), as dac+preamp? i'm planning to change my emu so i'm collecting info.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,129 of 2,018
Humble pie time. To test my modification to the ODAC I wired 1k and 220R resistors to a switch and flicked between them. Even knowing reasonably well which resistor I was listening to ( I only checked the function of the switch later) I was not able to detect any difference between the positions. I could not even detect the change in volume due to the change in resistance (<.5dB) to get a clue which resistor was in use. I tried with NMJ2068, NE5532 and LM4562. Whilst there was a distinct difference between the sound quality of the O2 when I changed the opamps , I still could not tell the difference between the resistors with any of them.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,130 of 2,018
Quote:
I tried with NMJ2068, NE5532 and LM4562. Whilst there was a distinct difference between the sound quality of the O2 when I changed the opamps , I still could not tell the difference between the resistors with any of them.

With a second O2 outputting matched levels, you could also try a similar switching test between the op amps.
normal_smile%20.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,131 of 2,018
Hey, why don't you try swapping the opamps and tell us what you think? Just power down without turning the volume knob then swap and power up again. I think you will be surprised by the difference between the NMJ2068 and the LM4562. The difference seems out of proportion to the amount of work the opamp is doing so I wonder if there is a stability problem with the LM4562. I can do a blind comparison between the NE5532 and the LM4562 because the printing on them is almost unreadable!

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,132 of 2,018
Quote:
Just power down without turning the volume knob then swap and power up again.

That is not a reliable method, because it:
- takes too long time to make the switch
- is a sighted test, i.e. you know which op amp you are listening to
You have already found out yourself with the resistors that hearing imaginary differences is indeed quite possible. After all, before implementing the fast switching, you were sure that the 1 kΩ resistors sounded better, and now the difference is gone. Perhaps the same would happen with the op amps, too ?

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,133 of 2,018
So, I want to move my O2 to my night stand for nighttime listening so I can control the volume.. Do you guys think it is best to use a long usb cable and  move the dac and amp to my night stand or to use a long audio cable in between the dac and amp? I'm leaning towards usb.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,134 of 2,018
So, I want to move my O2 to my night stand for nighttime listening so I can control the volume.. Do you guys think it is best to use a long usb cable and  move the dac and amp to my night stand or to use a long audio cable in between the dac and amp? I'm leaning towards usb.

Asked the maker awhile ago on his blog about usb cord length. He replied that even a 10' cable sounds good.

On the other hand, I don't use a cable, but an adapter to a powered port.

Would personally go with an audio extension cable to avoid distortion.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,138 of 2,018
has anyone tried to mod xlr output to the odac?. RCA is common now but I want balance output as well. 

If anyone wants to ask for reasons, it's just for fun. I don't really need more output but I'd like to try.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,139 of 2,018
Quote:
has anyone tried to mod xlr output to the odac?. RCA is common now but I want balance output as well. 

If anyone wants to ask for reasons, it's just for fun. I don't really need more output but I'd like to try.

Well ODAC is not electroniquely balanced , so it's pointless , but you can use RCA => XLR cable , it will work without any issue . 

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,140 of 2,018
I understand that it's not designed to be balanced but Is there a way to wire the line-out socket from the board to 3 pin xlr (I'm noob when it comes to DIY ). It's pointless on the paper but I just want to try.
I tried the rca => xlr adapter before and it worked but It's not the purpose here (my v200 has rca input as well unlike your auditor so xlr is not necessary) . I just want to have some small project and try to understand a bit about DIY. 
Quote:

Well ODAC is not electroniquely balanced , so it's pointless , but you can use RCA => XLR cable , it will work without any issue . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back