Brief Odac impressions
Sep 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #931 of 2,018
Deleted

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #933 of 2,018
Quote:
Looks like I have to set my odac to 16 bit in windows anyway because I don't get audio for youtube or anything else besides foobar if I set it to 24 bit.

That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #934 of 2,018
I was thinking about getting the odac+o2 but got the Teac UD-H01. One day Amazon had it for $360 and so I sent the link to zzounds and they popped back with $350, so I'm making payments on it. So....

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #936 of 2,018
That`s because you are using wasapi mode. It`s the way it works. It doesn`t have anything with 24bit. Try in foobar DS mode and you should be able to use youtube/anything even in 24bit selected in foobar/windows. Actually there isn`t any reason to be using wasapi mode in foobar..

I'm a little confused by this, I've been reading guides so I can properly setup the ODAC when it arrives and most seem to recommend XP-ASIO/KS or Win7-WASAPI for Foobar. Am I missing something? Also, is there a definitive little guide on how to setup Foobar and windows settings properly for the ODAC in Win XP and Win 7? I've read pieces of info here and there and it's getting rather confusing for me! So I've probably gotten a lot of things wrong here, can someone correct me or go into more detail? - Win XP - install ASIO in Foobar (or use KS, but ASIO preferred), set to 24 bit, remove all DSPs, set foobar and windows volume sliders to max, use headphone amp volume controls, no Windows settings needed to be changed - Win 7 - install WASAPI in Foobar, set to 24 bit, remove all DSPs, etc. etc., change Windows settings to 24 bit / 96? Thanks in advance!

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #937 of 2,018
Quote:

I'm a little confused by this, I've been reading guides so I can properly setup the ODAC when it arrives and most seem to recommend XP-ASIO/KS or Win7-WASAPI for Foobar. Am I missing something?Also, is there a definitive little guide on how to setup Foobar and windows settings properly for the ODAC in Win XP and Win 7? I've read pieces of info here and there and it's getting rather confusing for me! So I've probably gotten a lot of things wrong here, can someone correct me or go into more detail?- Win XP - install ASIO in Foobar (or use KS, but ASIO preferred), set to 24 bit, remove all DSPs, set foobar and windows volume sliders to max, use headphone amp volume controls, no Windows settings needed to be changed- Win 7 - install WASAPI in Foobar, set to 24 bit, remove all DSPs, etc. etc., change Windows settings to 24 bit / 96?Thanks in advance!

That`s all correct, except that you don`t have to be using wasapi in win7. If you want to, you could use it, but then you will have no sound from youtube/other soft unless you stop playback in foobar. That`s because wasapi use exclusive mode so it will "lock" sound only for foobar.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #938 of 2,018
Quote:

No, I'm talking about when Foobar is closed. I know it's supposed to mute everything with Foobar open, but when it's closed I can't hear youtube or anything else unless I set it to 16/44.1 in windows.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #939 of 2,018
OK, so it looks like some kind of mixer was still running from my X-Fi card. I restarted and disabled everything that had to do with my X-Fi card. I set windows to 24/96 and Foobar to 24 and everything is working perfect now. :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #940 of 2,018
Quote:
There's something......disturbing about that image.

That's because there is. But I would get banned if I posted the entire photo. Google yogurt guy if you dare

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #942 of 2,018
Sep 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #943 of 2,018
Ok, this is seriously weird.
I was listening to a new CD player today. Came across a bunch of songs that sounded bad. Just sounded very harsh and fatiguing. Gave my ears a fit.
I immediately tried lots of different headphones and about 5 other full sized CD players (yeah, i'm weird). Same thing. Just garbage tracks where it felt as if the mids and treble were cranked up in the studio.
Even tried several amps including the E9. No change.

I then switched to my ODAC and listened to the same CDs. They're much easier on the ears and if I didn't know any better I'd have not realized how bad these recordings were.

One example is "Airbag" on Radiohead's "OK Computer". Sounds like poop on 4-5 of my CD players, but fine on the ODAC. Why? You'd think it'd actually be WORSE on the ODAC.

Is it that my CD players are so revealing or just so colored? I doubt that's the case. Most of them are from the early 90's and I even tried a recent Oppo.

After trying my ODAC I switched to two other computer sources that measure perfectly flat. They sounded as bad as they were on my CD players.

I'm not complaining, but this is a bit strange.

BTW does the ODAC have rolled off treble? I don't even know if i've seen any measurements of it yet. It's treble now almost seems TOO smooth. I guess I like that.

I want my garbage tracks sounding like garbage dangit
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah.. it's interesting that my onboard sound isn't that bad. Measures and sounds pretty flat. Even the X-Fi Go Pro does.

Another thing..if anyone says the ODAC is a poor match for the Q701 they're lying!

ODAC is nice and musical for me. Doesn't seem as revealing of bad tracks for me as the HRT MSII. I'm not complaining!!

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #944 of 2,018
The ODAC measures perfectly flat. I've actually measured FR, and a few others to corroborate some of nwavguy's measurements. Out of my PC (not laptop), the ODAC's treble sounds smooth and extended. If anything it slightly lacks bite and that last bit of bass explosiveness.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #945 of 2,018
I have to say, I'm puzzled by the reports of other people here. I'm usually extremely sensitive to harsh or grainy treble and will quickly stop the music rather than put up with something that fatigues. But the O2 + ODAC combo I have from JDS Labs has never struck me as remotely unpleasant to listen to. The sound is stable, solid and well balanced, extremely musical, whenever the source file is decent. It sounds equally good on both my desktop computers and my laptop - detailed and smooth, a pleasure to listen to even for long sessions. When I first heard it I knew it was one of those rare, utterly satisfactory devices that I would want to keep, and that impression hasn't decreased over the last few months. So it's weird to me that other people are having such a rough time with it - I can't hear the harshness they are describing in my device at all. I'm using Westone 4R earphones and a USB cable that JDS Labs supplied, which appears to have one of those ferrite chokes at the ODAC end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back