Brief Odac impressions
Aug 4, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #646 of 2,018
Quote:

OT:  ChicaneBT, do you happen to know where I can buy a legal copy/download of the version of Locking Down that was on Easy to Assemble?  I have the Greatest Hits but the version on that is just not the same.  Thanks!  Not putting this in PM just in case someone else is also curious.

OT: Easy to assemble was never released, as far as I know there are only promotional copies out there. After the complete promotional album was leaked on the internet the album was never released. I wouldn't know how you can buy one and how to find a copy in the first place.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #647 of 2,018
Quote:
OT: Easy to assemble was never released, as far as I know there are only promotional copies out there. After the complete promotional album was leaked on the internet the album was never released. I wouldn't know how you can buy one and how to find a copy in the first place.

OT:  Okay, just wondering if Locking Down was subsequently released online as a legal (purchaseable) download somewhere.  Thanks!

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #648 of 2,018
Quote:
Any comparisons of ODAC and Music Streamer II/II+?

I have a MS2 now and will be getting the ODAC next week. I look to compare them. but I honestly don't expect major revelations and I doubt I will be writing a lot of flowery prose about the differences I may hear. But I will be coming back to this thread once I do have the two in house.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #649 of 2,018
When will nwavguy post the 16bit results he promised over a month ago?
When will nwavguy fix his articles on tubes to reflect the existence of some tube amplifiers that perform as well as, or better than transistor amplifiers under REAL load (A lot of stax pairings come to mind)?
When will nwavguy post real loads of the odac, or shed light on the loads used during his measurements? He mentioned he wished to do this in 2011.
When will nwavguy admit that he has basically produced copies of the Coffee (which I believe outdates the odac by a year) and other pre-existing board?
When will nwavguy admit that using a high quality chip surroudned by relatively poor components will still result in a fairly decent DAC? And that nothing he has done is close to original or revolutionary?
When will nwavguy posts sources for his ideas like "Less than 0.001% of what is heard actually reaches the consciousness". Is he doing poor maths like, if you focus on a single line, then it's 1/20k, even though that's not actually true? What about musicians who are able to transcribe the majority of a piece in a single listening (seasoned jazz veterans come to mind)? Are they too only listening to 0.001%? Where are the sources?
Why doesn't he use his cult-like following to discuss the validity of the measurements we use for headphones specifically? Which are in essence, designed strictly for loudspeakers? Although the mechanics are the same for the headphones, the parts of our head used are not; this is easily reflected in things like impulse and square wave resposne - which are radically affected by the huge amount of treble required by headphones to sound flat.
Why doesn't he talk about the lack of standardisation of headphones?
When will he talk about the transparency of anything below 1% THD, and how your headphones are always going to be the most limiting part of your setup?

A lot of people here have bought everything he has said, when at it's core it is marketing. A lot of it is true - however it is entirely selective about which truths to share. 

Anyone can gather the knowledge he has portrayed (and more) in a very short time if they had an interested and went to read about them. I'm sure many people here do. What many people do not do, is market the idea that using someone elses high end chip is an original idea, when it has existed in the community for a long time.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #650 of 2,018
Indeed.

When is he going to fill out his 'complete profile' taking ownership of his words and actions instead of hiding.  

When is he going to release his tax returns to prove zero profit motive rather than asking 'objectivists' to take his word on faith (which they have without question).

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #653 of 2,018
Well, I think someone has gone too far. It is true that ODAC has its limit but it is an good DAC at a good price and if someone wants to compare ODACs to other more expensive DACs. They just go ahead and do that, those are their choices and their rights. I just want to mean that most of people here are contributors, or just customers look for the best things to hear at suitable prices. And if money is not important to someone than just buy anything that they think or truly is good. Everyone has their own measurements but I want to mention one thing. ODACs are good products of course they are not the best out there but they cost only $150 for each one.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #654 of 2,018
When will nwavguy fix his articles on tubes to reflect the existence of some tube amplifiers that perform as well as, or better than transistor amplifiers under REAL load (A lot of stax pairings come to mind)?
When will nwavguy post real loads of the odac, or shed light on the loads used during his measurements? He mentioned he wished to do this in 2011.

When will nwavguy admit that he has basically produced copies of the Coffee (which I believe outdates the odac by a year) and other pre-existing board?
When will nwavguy admit that using a high quality chip surroudned by relatively poor components will still result in a fairly decent DAC? And that nothing he has done is close to original or revolutionary?

When will nwavguy posts sources for his ideas like "Less than 0.001% of what is heard actually reaches the consciousness". Is he doing poor maths like, if you focus on a single line, then it's 1/20k, even though that's not actually true? What about musicians who are able to transcribe the majority of a piece in a single listening (seasoned jazz veterans come to mind)? Are they too only listening to 0.001%? Where are the sources?

Why doesn't he use his cult-like following to discuss the validity of the measurements we use for headphones specifically? Which are in essence, designed strictly for loudspeakers? Although the mechanics are the same for the headphones, the parts of our head used are not; this is easily reflected in things like impulse and square wave resposne - which are radically affected by the huge amount of treble required by headphones to sound flat.
When will he talk about the transparency of anything below 1% THD, and how your headphones are always going to be the most limiting part of your setup?

A lot of people here have bought everything he has said, when at it's core it is marketing. A lot of it is true - however it is entirely selective about which truths to share. 

Anyone can gather the knowledge he has portrayed (and more) in a very short time if they had an interested and went to read about them. I'm sure many people here do. What many people do not do, is market the idea that using someone elses high end chip is an original idea, when it has existed in the community for a long time.

Have you asked him in his thread on his site? He usually responds to all questions. If you ask a bit more objectively I'd bet you'd get an answer. Why are you so angry? Not at all an attack on you, I'm just genuinely curious. Are any other audio companies more open or objectively based than he is? He brings a strong argument with as many facts as are available and anyone is free to bring different information to the table that doesn't include or nessecitate character assassination.

Indeed.

When is he going to fill out his 'complete profile' taking ownership of his words and actions instead of hiding.  

When is he going to release his tax returns to prove zero profit motive rather than asking 'objectivists' to take his word on faith (which they have without question).

It's possible he could be making a profit but his business model suggests he isn't. How would he be making money? The designs are available to everyone, and cheaply too. I'm all for warranted skepticism but it seems rather unlikely given the open nature of his projects. Anyone could measure these devices and post the results.

Character assassination is kind of a sign of desperation. If his facts are wrong lets discuss it. I have an O2 and ODAC and Iove them, but maybe we'll find out there is a flaw or a lack in the measurements. Could be totally possible.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #656 of 2,018
Quote:
Have you asked him in his thread on his site? He usually responds to all questions. If you ask a bit more objectively I'd bet you'd get an answer. Why are you so angry? Not at all an attack on you, I'm just genuinely curious.

I'm not sure where your "character assassination" of me has come from. I have simply highlighted, in a ruthless manner, the flaws of his presentation. His marketing, his omission of fundamental facts, choosing gear that suits him (his tube-defaming post, for example). Not to mention his rants about moderators on head-fi (for example, Kwkwarth(?) who I have been banned by repeatedly for arguing with him over LCD-2 measurements), which of course were objective and not all character assassination. Generally I waited for the ban to be removed, and I even spoke to jude about the moderation. What I did not do is start a blog "defaming" the moderators of head-fi (a site I don't particularly enjoy anymore because of the misinformation, parroting, and people who refuse to read readily available literature), and try to attack the work people are trying to make a profit on.

If he is against the overpriced nature of gear, why is he not talking out about the very nature of capitalism? If he goes and gets any documentation of the expenses made by any chicken-based fast food chain for example, he will see how overpriced they are (I believe 200 tenderloins costs each chain about $34). To the consumer, that is probably about 12 tenderloins (I don't really eat chicken, or actually work in a chicken chain). I'm using readily available information.

If the manner in which nwavguy has posted from the beginning is the greatest thing to ever happen to audio, then how are my questions also not a good step?
Quote:
Are any other audio companies more open or objectively based than he is? 

- Stax provides meausrements of all their headphones, explaining why they measure like that. They also provide reactive load measurements (something I believe NWAVGUY does not do) for all their combos. I do think it's unfair to expect this of nwavguy though
- Etymotic provides measurements of all their headphones, explaining why they measure like that.
- Beyerdynamic explains the design philosophy and target curves of particular headphones, such as the DT880 and provides reason why a diffuse field curve is considered one of the several ideal curves
- Echo provides real-world to AES standard measurements for their DACs, and will provide additional information and measurements if asked
- Focusrite provides real-world to AES standard measurements with their interfaces, and also provides articles explaining what AES standards are, and why many measurements aren't to be trusted (eg. quoting chip specs).
- Headphonic in Australia encourages measuring of headphones, and not only that openly encourages you to come in and listen to everything they sell, without imposing the need to purchase on you.
- Tyll from InnerFidelity (previously headroom), measures a number of headphones. He will even openly discuss his measurement methods, in what ways they wish they were better, and even will discuss ways he could possibly improve them.

What these people do not engage in, unlike Nwavguy, is the messiah-esque self-characterisation, with simple truths that everyone knows or can learn from any text. Nor do they engage in the explicit "character assassination" of people who are trying to help a community (like Kwkwarth).

If nwavguy is so objectively based, then

Quote:

Quote:
He brings a strong argument with as many facts as are available

What he actually does is bring you ideas and knowledge that are freely available to everyone already. That many people on head-fi would gladly share if asked.

What people on head-fi would not engage in (to my knowledge), is using these ideas to try and sell a product. Measurements and science are not marketing.

I haven't asked him on his site, because that gives his site publicity, and I do not wish to support his cause, because of the manner in which he is doing it.

Quote:
Well, I think someone has gone too far. It is true that ODAC has its limit but it is an good DAC at a good price and if someone wants to compare ODACs to other more expensive DACs. They just go ahead and do that, those are their choices and their rights. I just want to mean that most of people here are contributors, or just customers look for the best things to hear at suitable prices. And if money is not important to someone than just buy anything that they think or truly is good. Everyone has their own measurements but I want to mention one thing. ODACs are good products of course they are not the best out there but they cost only $150 for each one.

The product I use, an Echo Audiofire 12 contans 12 inputs (balanced) and 12 outputs (balanced). It costs about $500. It measures better than the odac, on all of these channels. That's 12 simultaneous 24/192 dac channels (Balanced), and 12 simultaneous 24/192 adc channels.

I think you can see how much cheaper this is, per channel than the ODAC. 

Echo is a business - they make profits. How do they provide superior performance per channel per dollar, if they are currently making profits? Is nwavguys chip less efficient per dollar? Or is there something else happening? I have no idea - and I do not wish to guess.
But maybe I am being a little unfair, comparing only one multi-channel device.

The Focusrite Saffire 6 is just shy of $200. It provides similar real world performance to the ODAC (OTTOMH). What differs is that it provides
- Midi in
- Midi out
- 2 channels of inst, line and mic level input (including phantom power)
- 2 +4dBU outputs
- 4 -10dBV outputs 
- And so on.

My chief complaints about the above is that they do not also provide (to my knowledge) 16 bit performance on their site.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #657 of 2,018
MrGreen your questions make it seem as though nwavguy is intentionally misleading or misinforming people which is why it comes off as character assassination. Your disagreements are understandable and you bring up good questions that I don't think would hurt to ask him. If you're content not to ask then it seems like the only logical conclusion one can make about your questions is they're aimed to produce doubt about nwavguy himself.

Also, that is a good list of companies who provide measurements of their products. To be totally honest though it doesn't seem to me that they are quite as open, which is the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it wasn't clear. So extremely open vs. semi-open. Do they provide as detailed measurements? Or instrutructions on how to make their products? Maybe some do; I don't know. That seems to be somewhat of a large difference though.

So I stand by the character assassination term (which was partly aimed at Anaxilus). I don't think it's necessary to get personal. It's more productive to lay out our disagreements rationally, which is something that nwavguy has going for him at least.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #658 of 2,018
Mr.Green, why should nwavguy publish measurements for headphones ?
1 : He does not make headphones .
2 : He has never said they sound the same (or even that they should) .
3 : He measures electricity, not vibrating air-molecules .

Quote:
When will nwavguy fix his articles on tubes to reflect the existence of some tube amplifiers that perform as well as, or better than transistor amplifiers under REAL load

Probably when such a thing becomes available, ie never .

When will you acknowledge that neither amplifiers nor DAC's are supposed to even have  'a sound' ?

And when will YOU publish measurements supporting your claims about valves ??

Quote:
I haven't asked him on his site, because that gives his site publicity, and I do not wish to support his cause, because of the manner in which he is doing it.

Yeah right .. The whole internet will go there to read your opinions .
I think you only post here at Head-Fi because you know he can't .

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #659 of 2,018
I was (and so were many others) posting the original question before nwavguy was a name people even knew. You are barking up the wrong tree (you also are too poorly researched).
I don't need to, because STAX already did it for me. Feel free to google the reactive loads for the amplifier combos (with the shipped headphones) stax has already produced.

Quote:

When will you acknowledge that neither amplifiers nor DAC's are supposed to even have  'a sound' ?

And when will YOU publish measurements supporting your claims about valves ??

Feel free to post my questions on his blog on my behalf.

I really have no problems confronting him because the knowledge he posts is that which I, many MOTT and many DIYers have been posting for years.

Feel free to PM me personally if you'd like to tell me his responses.

Feel free to also research how search engines work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back