Brief Odac impressions
Aug 3, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #631 of 2,018
60% (40% missing) for any DAC is awful no matter the cost.  I don't think the ODAC can keep up w/ my PWD but 60% is a silly number to me but it all depends on how one comes up w/ their personal metrics.  If I was forced to vomit a number it would be something like 85% give or take depending on who's doing the listening.  Those who also argue that last 10% or Nth isn't worth an extra grand or two are also making a subjective evaluation not worth much weight either IMO.  I think the only things that should be called out are erroneously bad sound/performance from bad designs at excessive costs.  Most of the DACs mentioned in the last few pages mentioned do none of those.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #632 of 2,018
Everything you just said was a subjective evaluation not worth much weight. 85% is a silly number to me. You sure did vomit a number, alright (among other things)!

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #633 of 2,018
Quote:
Everything you just said was a subjective evaluation not worth much weight. 85% is a silly number to me. You sure did vomit a number, alright (among other things)!

Looks like you decided to stand right in the middle of it by missing the point.  Good job, be sure to wipe down.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #634 of 2,018
I received my Odac from jds labs today and have been enjoying it. I upgraded from a x-fi xtreme music soundcard and I am using foobar w/ wasapi listening with ath-m50 as well as infinity p163 bookshelf speakers and a marantz 2230 as the amp. Unfortunately I don't have much else to compare it to other than the x-fi card.

The highs sound to me to be more detailed and but bordering on too bright. I haven't needed to eq it down yet so I'd say the highs are just about as bright as I can handle and enjoy for extended listening.

The mids are where I noticed the biggest difference from the x-fi. I think x-fi muddied up the mids quite a bit and recessed them and since the m50's already have recessed mids imo I was starved for those frequencies. Now they sound much more up front and I no long feel the need to eq the mids up. 

The lows are where I noticed the least change. It seems to be a little tighter and more controlled but its not as noticeable of a change as the mids and highs. 

There was also a big improvement in soundstage. The instruments seem to have more space between them making them more identifiable as individual sounds whereas with the x-fi it seemed more like a "wall of sound". Hopefully that makes sense, I'm not used to describing sounds. 

Overall I'm very pleased with purchase. I'd describe it (in relation to the x-fi) as cleaner all around with more pronounced/detailed mids and highs and better soundstage. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #636 of 2,018
I'm having issues installing it on my Windows 7 computer. I paired it up with my O2 amp and followed all the instructions that it came with but my computer isn't installing it properly. This is what I'm getting when I try to install it.

My drivers are updated.

Anything will be helpful.

EDIT: So I disconnected my O2 from my ODAC and tried different USB ports and to my surprise I got it working. Not sure if the O2 interfered with the installation or perhaps it might have been the USB port itself. About to listen to my first song!

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #637 of 2,018
Sometimes I have to try other usb ports or go to the device manager and uninstall the usb devices that have yellow exclamation marks next to them. They are at the bottom of the list. For some reason it seems like my computer treats each usb port as a totally seperate entity that requires new installation of the ODAC each time. Pretty annoying actually and I would appreciate a more permanent solution.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #639 of 2,018
Quote:
60% (40% missing) for any DAC is awful no matter the cost.  I don't think the ODAC can keep up w/ my PWD but 60% is a silly number to me but it all depends on how one comes up w/ their personal metrics.  If I was forced to vomit a number it would be something like 85% give or take depending on who's doing the listening.  Those who also argue that last 10% or Nth isn't worth an extra grand or two are also making a subjective evaluation not worth much weight either IMO.  I think the only things that should be called out are erroneously bad sound/performance from bad designs at excessive costs.  Most of the DACs mentioned in the last few pages mentioned do none of those.

Come over a a blind test I set up. You'll easily be able to distinguish between the ODAC and PWD1/2.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #640 of 2,018
Sounds like some people can't handle the truth :frowning2:.

Get the party going again!
L3000.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #641 of 2,018
The Odac get's better after alittle time, atleast for me it does.
It's great value for the money and there is not alot of difference between the m-dac as I originally thought there was.
The M-dac is better but not by such a big margin

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #642 of 2,018
Quote:
There are still high-end DAC's, both tube...

You DO mean 'high-priced', right ?
Valves are NOT 'high-end' .
Yes, they are expensive, some of them very much so, but 'high-end' ??
I don't think so and all measurements agree .

Good thing is that the valve-craze lets us know who can't hear distortion when it hits them in the face !

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #643 of 2,018
Quote:
Get the party going again!
L3000.gif

OT:  ChicaneBT, do you happen to know where I can buy a legal copy/download of the version of Locking Down that was on Easy to Assemble?  I have the Greatest Hits but the version on that is just not the same.  Thanks!  Not putting this in PM just in case someone else is also curious.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #644 of 2,018
Quote:
No, I can't. I doubt I will find visible proof for this audible fact :) You know that FR graphs of all contemporary digital sources are pretty the same in the bass area (they're almost flat in the whole audible area in fact). But all we hear the FR differences between sources. I think everyone here who has listened to Benchmark DAC1 will agree that it has somewhat anemic bass compared to many other popular (and also well measured) digital sources. Anyone who thinks that DAC1 is a bass monster? :)

The DAC1 does sound deficient in the bass compared to many other DACs (I've heard quite a few) including the ODAC, which does sound a little different depending upon quality/juice of USB power. I've felt the ODAC sounded best out of my PC mobo's USB port than a out of a cheap laptop's USB port. The ODAC is pretty good and I felt it did beat a $700 and $3000 DAC (both DACs I've had the opportunity to audition in-home.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back