Quote:
EQ'ing with ODAC? Blasphemy.
tongue.gif

lol, touché.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #617 of 2,018
Quote:
EQ'ing with ODAC? Blasphemy.
tongue.gif

Not at all! EQ'ing with transparent equipment means you only have to EQ the music and speakers/headphones, not the components in between.

I would much rather make adjustments with a proper EQ than replacing equipment to do the same thing.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #618 of 2,018
Quote:

Not at all! EQ'ing with transparent equipment means you only have to EQ the music and speakers/headphones, not the components in between.

I would much rather make adjustments with a proper EQ than replacing equipment to do the same thing.

It goes completely against it's designer's mindset though. EQ'ing will also slightly degrade audio quality, as any extra processing will.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #619 of 2,018
Quote:

It goes completely against it's designer's mindset though. EQ'ing will also slightly degrade audio quality, as any extra processing will.

Not if you use it on already bad sources like low bitrate MP3 and YouTube for which he wants to use it. You probably won't hear the slight degrading in quality but you will enjoy the more forgiving effect the EQ has :).

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #622 of 2,018
lol you have no idea what you're talking about. I did a quick search, and this is from NwAvGuy himself in one of his articles:

AMPS & DACS MAKE LOUSY EQUALIZERS: If you want to alter the sound a much better method than using a colored amp or DAC is using EQ. That’s what it’s for. There are even decent EQ apps for iOS and Android. For those purists who somehow think DSP or EQ is wrong, odds are your favorite music has already had significant DSP and/or EQ applied. There’s an example in the Tech Section showing even two passes of digital EQ are entirely transparent. Using a headphone amp to compensate for a flaw with your headphones is like buying a music player that can only play one song.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #624 of 2,018
Quote:
A more forgiving DAC won't show all of those imperfections.

This is true, however it's not as if I intend to ONLY listen to bad sources.  I would rather have an accurate, flat DAC that I can then color as I see fit for my lower quality sources, than to have to juggle DACs.  With EQ I can add color to an accurate DAC... But I can't take a "more forgiving" DAC and somehow add accuracy.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #626 of 2,018

Im merely going by what my eyes have seen, most the people posting impressions of the odac arent comparing it to anything. And the two people that i have seen compare it to other higher end gear, like anaxilus and Brat, both said it was pretty average, which is about when the soap boxes of objectivity get rolled out...

Oh, i guess lots of people have been comparing it to the Bifrost, but that isnt exactly high end either.

I dont know if you dont get this...but im not saying its a bad dac, i have even said that it is most likely a great value. My argument is that it isnt the best dac ever, which is what you are trying to say

What irks me about Brat's post is that he made a large statement with no details to really back it up.

I don't know if an ODAC is better than the Weiss DAC202U or the Ayon Skylla 2, but I would love an actual detailed comparison. Not some a statement as usless as the ODAC is missing 40% of the sound heard from the DAC202U.
"ODAC gives all the music but in a more "schematic" manner, with less details, less realism, less 3D"
Less Details in what?
Less Realism in what?
Less 3D in what?

Give example of songs, instruments, etc...

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #627 of 2,018
Quote:
What irks me about Brat's post is that he made a large statement with no details to really back it up.

I don't know if an ODAC is better than the Weiss DAC202U or the Ayon Skylla 2, but I would love an actual detailed comparison. Not some a statement as usless as the ODAC is missing 40% of the sound heard from the DAC202U.
"ODAC gives all the music but in a more "schematic" manner, with less details, less realism, less 3D"
Less Details in what?
Less Realism in what?
Less 3D in what?

Give example of songs, instruments, etc...

Brat's comment didn't actually make that much sense, so I'm doubting anybody will be able to explain that 40%. But yes, I would also like to see a comparison between the ODAC and higher end DAC's.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #629 of 2,018
I have been quietly enjoying my ODAC and have had it since it first arrived on scene. I have not heard a DAC costing over 500 dollars but the ODAC does as good of job as any other DAC I have heard in representing what was recorded, IMO. I am a fan of detail and true representation, thus the ODAC is wonderful for my tastes. If you want to argue or dispute the value, or benefit of the ODAC just take it to a PM or start a new thread specific to this debate. This is a brief impressions thread not an overall discussion thread. I check in here once and a while to see what some new opinions are, and this is just a pain to wade through (granted some of the past few pages is in some ways impression). Some of your points are valid and worthy of discussion, don't take this the wrong way, but nuwavguy has done many people a large favor in providing an affordable usable, and may I add, excellent sounding DAC for the money to the scene (again, just my opinion). Don't like it, cool, then move along and let us who are happy with an ODAC and our perception of it's performance/price point discuss it. I mean not to start a war but to reign in the space bound rocket headed towards a black hole that is probably going to close this thread...

Cheers,

-M

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #630 of 2,018
Quote:
I have been quietly enjoying my ODAC and have had it since it first arrived on scene. I have not heard a DAC costing over 500 dollars but the ODAC does as good of job as any other DAC I have heard in representing what was recorded, IMO. I am a fan of detail and true representation, thus the ODAC is wonderful for my tastes. If you want to argue or dispute the value, or benefit of the ODAC just take it to a PM or start a new thread specific to this debate. This is a brief impressions thread not an overall discussion thread. I check in here once and a while to see what some new opinions are, and this is just a pain to wade through (granted some of the past few pages is in some ways impression). Some of your points are valid and worthy of discussion, don't take this the wrong way, but nuwavguy has done many people a large favor in providing an affordable usable, and may I add, excellent sounding DAC for the money to the scene (again, just my opinion). Don't like it, cool, then move along and let us who are happy with an ODAC and our perception of it's performance/price point discuss it. I mean not to start a war but to reign in the space bound rocket headed towards a black hole that is probably going to close this thread...

Cheers,

-M

Agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back