Brief Odac impressions
Jul 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #542 of 2,018
What the ****, I Tried to check/ test the difference between using the Odac+ SPL Auditor and my home cinema Onkyo SR605 receiver + SPL Auditor.. both with the Senn HD800 the SR605 with the Auditor sounded much better.
Then I tried to use the SR605 headphone out, surprisingly there wasn't much difference between the auditor headphone out and the SR605, after some listening i'm afraid to say that I prefer the SR605.
1st, how is that even possible?!
2nd, how is the M-dac gonna make the Auditor sound better, it seems like the SR605 headphone section is superior?! i'm confused.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #543 of 2,018
Quote:
What the ****, I Tried to check/ test the difference between using the Odac+ SPL Auditor and my home cinema Onkyo SR605 receiver + SPL Auditor.. both with the Senn HD800 the SR605 with the Auditor sounded much better.
Then I tried to use the SR605 headphone out, surprisingly there wasn't much difference between the auditor headphone out and the SR605, after some listening i'm afraid to say that I prefer the SR605.
1st, how is that even possible?!
2nd, how is the M-dac gonna make the Auditor sound better, it seems like the SR605 headphone section is superior?! i'm confused.

Interesting... I actually have an SR805 at home, which is known to have quite a good wolfson DAC + super beefy power supply (hey, it weighs over 50 lbs right :).

Guess I'll try running some headphones out from it, only use for it is to drive my Magnepan MMGs and TV.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #545 of 2,018
Quote:
I dunno, I find it concerning, I don't know what to do next.
sell my amp or buy a superior dac. I'm CONFUSED

It could just come down to a sound signature you prefer.  In my estimation the ODAC -> Auditor -> HD800 seems like a relentlessly neutral/analytical chain that would probably leave most cold.  

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #546 of 2,018
Quote:
I use the same setup but the source is an iPad. To me its fine but I got used to HD800s treble. How long do you own the HD800? Maybe you just haven't adapted to its occasionally sibilant sound.

May I ask how you have connected the DAC to the iPad? Directly via the CCK (using the iPad's battery), or through a powered USB hub?

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #547 of 2,018
May I ask how you have connected the DAC to the iPad? Directly via the CCK (using the iPad's battery), or through a powered USB hub?

Ipad>CCK>powered usb hub>odac>amp

I posted a couple photos a couple pages back

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #548 of 2,018
Went to the Audio shop and bought the MDAC after a brief listening session with the M-Dac, the auditor and the HD800.
you guys saying the Dac is irrelevant are biased, the auditor goes on a sell. what a shame

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #549 of 2,018
Quote:
Went to the Audio shop and bought the MDAC after a brief listening session with the M-Dac, the auditor and the HD800.
you guys saying the Dac is irrelevant are biased, the auditor goes on a sell. what a shame

Who said the DAC doesn't make a difference?  I think the thing with the ODAC is people are mostly claiming it's a very neutral sound... though IMO it still can be improved upon.

I've definitely found some DACs to make a larger sonic difference than switching up the amp.  Depends on what you're changing out.  Try out an old school NOS TDA 1543 based DAC some time... it creates a very pleasing, euphonic sound similar to what a good tube amp will do.

The MDAC is supposed to be a spectacular unit more to the musical side, enjoy.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #550 of 2,018
Thank you, I will enjoy it.
What I also enjoyed is the support gives by John westlake the creator of the MDAC
they update the firmware on a regular basis and I've heard the differences and they are not subtle, for example there is alot of difference between the filters and the sound stays natural and true just with a different presentation.
The only downside though is that they only have the black version, but who gives a crap anyways. 
I don't like the Odac presentation, I find it boring, sterile and not pleasant with the HD800. There is no doubt that it's neutral, it has a low distortion and low jitter, there is no doubt about that but that's not enough. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #551 of 2,018
Quote:
I don't like the Odac presentation, I find it boring, sterile and not pleasant with the HD800. There is no doubt that it's neutral, it has a low distortion and low jitter, there is no doubt about that but that's not enough. 

FWIW, I found the Dragonfly to have a similar sound to the ODAC but cleaned up a bit, the way that I would expect a good interface to do (they both use the same 9023 Sabre chip).  One of these days I'll run my AP2 to it to see what difference it makes.   I do love my ODAC/O2 -> Thunderpants but the Thunderpants are fairly colored.

The Auditor is also ruthlessly neutral I understand as it's essentially pro audio equipment.  Did you try the MDAC -> Auditor -> HD800?

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #552 of 2,018
Quote:

FWIW, I found the Dragonfly to have a similar sound to the ODAC but cleaned up a bit, the way that I would expect a good interface to do (they both use the same 9023 Sabre chip).  One of these days I'll run my AP2 to it to see what difference it makes.   I do love my ODAC/O2 -> Thunderpants but the Thunderpants are fairly colored.

The Auditor is also ruthlessly neutral I understand as it's essentially pro audio equipment.  Did you try the MDAC -> Auditor -> HD800?

Yes, I tried the MDAC > Auditor > HD800 and found the MDAC > HD800 much more to my liking,  I was superior to the Auditor.
I find that surprising.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #554 of 2,018
What do you guys think about coupling the ODAC with another amp than the O2? At this stage I'm thinking about a cheap amp until the ODA gets available and I have more funds to invest. 

I use the ODAC with my Neco Soundlab V.3 portable (with dual AD8610 opamps).. more often than with the O2, in fact.  The V.3 is very neutral, but has a wonderful touch of smoothness and delicate warmth that's almost "Burson-esque."  Its spacious soundstage & excellent channel separation lends itself well to the ODAC crisp, high resolution output.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #555 of 2,018
I'm currently pairing the ODAC with the AMB M³ (which is quite ironic, and some may even call this a "taboo" pairing as I believe nwavguy is well known for criticizing AMB designs 
tongue.gif
 ) with OPA227 as my secondary rig, and I have to say I absolutely love this combo. In other amps ODAC may feel a bit too clinical, but not with the M³; the typical MOSFET amp warmth in the mids and overall smoothness of the amp and the accuracy of the O2 IMO makes it a very good synergistic pair. Sounds excellent with both the HD800/LCD-2, which IMO is quite a feat as it's very hard to build a rig that sounds right for both of these headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back