Brief Odac impressions
Jun 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #211 of 2,018
So I'm totally sold on getting the ODAC with the exception of the case; it's not the correct size and it has a few inches of empty space inside it? As much as I hate waiting, I'd prefer to wait until these revised enclosures come out so the ODAC doesn't have to be unnecessarily larger than it should. Is there an ETA on when these new enclosures are expected to be used for the ODAC?

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #212 of 2,018
Just came in the mail today.  I sold off my previous ODAC for a matched JDS Labs pair of the ODAC and C421.  From a business and operations perspectives, I can see why John went this route.  I'm going to have fun this weekend.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #213 of 2,018
-- Laptop --> ODAC  --> O2 (running off batteries) --> HE-500
-- USB DAC format settings on laptop set to 24-bit/44.1khz (I'm experiencing the following issue even when set to 16-bit/44.1)
-- Streaming well recorded music via my MOG.com subscription

My O2 has default gain settings (2x, 6x).  When I switch it to high gain, the HE-500 clips/distorts very easily.. even at low volumes.  Currently, the O2's high gain is unusable with the ODAC.  The ODAC+O2+HE-500 on normal gain sound very good and there appears to be no sound quality issues.

Everything is fine on my PCs end of things (I've restarted the audio service, etc).

Is this an issue with the ODAC's output voltage (and the battery-driven O2's ability to handle it) or could something be wrong with my ODAC?  Has anyone else experienced any issues when running the HE-500 with the ODAC & O2 (w/ batteries on high gain)?

I'll test the ODAC with the O2 on high gain (with AC power instead of batteries) & connect it to my desktop amp (TubeDAC-11) to see if the issues persists.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #214 of 2,018
Quote:
-- USB DAC format settings on laptop set to 24-bit/44.1khz (I'm experiencing the following issue even when set to 16-bit/44.1)

My O2 has default gain settings (2x, 6x).  When I switch it to high gain, the HE-500 clips/distorts very easily.. even at low volumes.  Currently, the O2's high gain is unusable with the ODAC.  The ODAC+O2+HE-500 on normal gain sound very good and there appears to be no sound quality issues.

Everything is fine on my PCs end of things (I've restarted the audio service, etc).

Is this an issue with the ODAC's output voltage (and the battery-driven O2's ability to handle it) or could something be wrong with my ODAC?  Has anyone else experienced any issues when running the HE-500 with the ODAC & O2 (w/ batteries on high gain)?

I'll test the ODAC with the O2 on high gain (with AC power instead of batteries) & connect it to my desktop amp (TubeDAC-11) to see if the issues persists.

It's the O2. The high gain setting is meant for portable devices that typically output 1 V or less. The ODAC outputs 2 V.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #215 of 2,018

Question, cant you just plug in your headphones directly into your ODAC and use the volume control on your music player or computer volume? 

I dont know if I hear anything different and I dont know if I am supposed to but now my heart is at ease :) 

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #216 of 2,018
Quote:

So you find that the O2 has enough juice to power your HE-500 adequately?

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #217 of 2,018
Originally Posted by mac336 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So you find that the O2 has enough juice to power your HE-500 adequately?

Yes.  It doesn't drive it as well as my desktop amp (TubeDAC-11) in terms of dynamics.. but it's close.  Much of the time, though, I'm driving my HE-500 with the O2 or Neco V3 (out of convenience).. which both work wonderfully.  The NEco probably gets the edge there, though.  Bottom line, the O2 pairs very well with the HE-500.. no regret there.

I'm having an balanced XLR cable & banana plug adapter made for my HE-500 so I can drive it off speaker amps/taps.  Will report back on how the results compare, soon.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #218 of 2,018
Quote:

Question, cant you just plug in your headphones directly into your ODAC and use the volume control on your music player or computer volume? 

I dont know if I hear anything different and I dont know if I am supposed to but now my heart is at ease :) 

The ODAC doesn't provide any extra power output because it has no amplification.  You're not driving headphones to full potential that way.  Same thing is just plugging them into your computer (same power), but you're effectively using an external soundcard inbetweeen.

That's also why on various websites that sell the ODAC, it says (usually in big bold letters) THE ODAC DOES WAS NOT MEANT TO DRIVE HEADPHONES.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #219 of 2,018
Quote:

And they say cables don't make a difference.  
wink_face.gif

*LOL*

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #220 of 2,018
Just received the ODAC from JDSLabs today, initial impressions vs my old Essence STX, using my Mackies:

STX sound signature is definitely a bit warmer. 

Detail-wise I would lean towards the ODAC but its really too close to easily discern with sub-30 minutes of listening.

Biggest difference between the two is the STX sounds congested in comparison to the ODAC. I hesitate to say it's soundstage, but there is a certain effortless quality to the way the ODAC presents music. Perhaps the jitter issue with the STX rearing its head?

Edit: Further observations.

STX has more bass quantity, but often sounds bloated in comparison to the ODAC. STX treble becomes harsh at higher volumes; the ODAC much less so. 

For now I'd say ODAC>STX. But both DACs are similar enough that any heavy PC gamer/movie watcher might prefer the STX for its Dolby DSPs.

Using the line-out from the STX(ASIO) with stock opamps. And my M-stage's dual inputs to compare.  

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #221 of 2,018
Oh. This DAC is absolutely amazing. Hopefully there will be more impressions and comparison to other DACs. Just reading a lot of  comments in this topic and found out this DAC is better than HRT music streamer II makes me so excited. However, I would like to read a more detail review. Thanks guys! Keep going!

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #222 of 2,018
Quote:
Just received the ODAC from JDSLabs today, initial impressions vs my old Essence STX, using my Mackies:

STX sound signature is definitely a bit warmer. 

Detail-wise I would lean towards the ODAC but its really too close to easily discern with sub-30 minutes of listening.

Biggest difference between the two is the STX sounds congested in comparison to the ODAC. I hesitate to say it's soundstage, but there is a certain effortless quality to the way the ODAC presents music. Perhaps the jitter issue with the STX rearing its head?

Edit: Further observations.

STX has more bass quantity, but often sounds bloated in comparison to the ODAC. STX treble becomes harsh at higher volumes; the ODAC much less so. 

For now I'd say ODAC>STX. But both DACs are similar enough that any heavy PC gamer/movie watcher might prefer the STX for its Dolby DSPs.

Using the line-out from the STX(ASIO) with stock opamps. And my M-stage's dual inputs to compare.  

I agree with your view of the STX, the stock opamps give that congested bass heavy feeling. Try THS4032 in the I/V, dunno about buffer, they could be unstable. but they are definitely the most neutral, and verge on the AD797 level of quality without the piercing highs, and heavy oscillation.
I think they will be much closer then.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #223 of 2,018
Awesome, great to hear more people are getting their ODAC's and are happy with them, It's always nice to hear people talk good about a piece of equipment you own! I am still very happy with mine, I almost had a heart attack the other day when I was rearranging the ODAC in my case where I mounted it and one of the small surface mount components broke off...it was a pain to get it soldered back on, but I was successful and luckily it has not seemed to effect the sound of the device in any way...I was worried I would have to buy another ODAC!

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #224 of 2,018

No. The impedance is way too high. The odac is designed to be used with an amp.

The ODAC doesn't provide any extra power output because it has no amplification.  You're not driving headphones to full potential that way.  Same thing is just plugging them into your computer (same power), but you're effectively using an external soundcard inbetweeen.

That's also why on various websites that sell the ODAC, it says (usually in big bold letters) THE ODAC DOES WAS NOT MEANT TO DRIVE HEADPHONES.

Only partially correct. The amp provides power, but also clean LOW IMPEDANCE power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back