Brief Odac impressions
Jun 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #136 of 2,018
For those that want to use the ODAC with an IPAD...   I just tested the M.I.C. All-in-one Card Reader and it works perfect.... 

http://store.micgadget.com/ipad3-card-readers/315-cf-sd-high-speed-card-reader-for-ipad-3.html

the reader comes with an USB cord that you will need to plug into a USB charger or computer to power it.. or the IPAD will complain that
you are drawing too much power...

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #138 of 2,018
I think its more of a safety issue...  if too much current is being drawn from the USB it could burn out hardware...    when USB first came out there were many instances where the USB ports were
burnt out from some camera's...  

on a slightly different subject...  I plugged two ODAC's into a desktop to see if I could get both to stream music at the same time...    the computer replied back...  not enough bandwidth...  so it was a nogo..

I was thinking it would have been nice if I could have powered headphones off of one ODAC while at the same time power a power'd sub woofer off of the other ODAC...   could have been  interesting

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #139 of 2,018
Quote:
I think its more of a safety issue... 

That's why you make it self-powered so you can use USB2go devices.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #140 of 2,018
Quote:

The enclosure that's commonly used and was originally recommended is the Box Enclosures B2-080.  The PCB slips right in and is of the correct length and width.  The B3-080 has the same length and width but greater height, so that can easily fit the ODAC module and batteries.

http://www.boxenclosures.com/category/product_details.html?product__id=213465
http://www.boxenclosures.com/category/product_details.html?product__id=213471

You're on your own with regards to front and back panels though.  The current sellers have a lot of panels made for the B2-080, so it may be inconvenient (and not have enough customers to make it worthwhile) to also offer it for the taller chassis, unfortunately.  Well, you (somebody) can always make your own though.

This is exactly what I did and posted pictures of. There are different mounting options, I chose to work with what I had and used some screws to mount the ODAC above the batteries in the B3-080 case. One of the other options to not put screws through the case like I did would be to buy a metal plate or other material and mount the ODAC on that and have the plate be the same size as the O2 board to keep it from moving. A friend and I are working on this alternative with his O2/ODAC combo compared to mine with the screws through the case. 
I was a bit worried about the panels as well, the front was fairly easy, I printed out the recommended template and taped it  plate with clear packing tape and then drilled the holes with my cheap drill press that I have. The back with the ODAC was a little trickier and I won't say I did that one perfectly :wink:

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #141 of 2,018
Quote:

I presume the ODAC will give me that even though it's not self powered which is not ideal for me.  I do expect to like it more than the equivalent amplifier.

You could probably make a battery pack for it and splice it into the power wires on a USB cable.  Voldemort says the power and data need to come on at the same time or it won't talk to the host.  It hasn't been tested but I imagine that putting a switch in the middle to connects them all at one after everything is plugged in would probably make it work.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #142 of 2,018
Quote:

You're on your own with regards to front and back panels though.  The current sellers have a lot of panels made for the B2-080, so it may be inconvenient (and not have enough customers to make it worthwhile) to also offer it for the taller chassis, unfortunately.  Well, you (somebody) can always make your own though.

Thanks, but that's kinda what I mean.  My DIY'er threshold extends to maybe an hour or two of or my own time (ie. a simple kit to upgrade with, no fab work).  Having to plug it in will be a minor inconvenience... I'll be using it with a 11" MBA which I usually plug in anyway.  But if an easy upgrade comes out I'll be first in line.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #144 of 2,018
Quote:

You could probably make a battery pack for it and splice it into the power wires on a USB cable.  Voldemort says the power and data need to come on at the same time or it won't talk to the host.  It hasn't been tested but I imagine that putting a switch in the middle to connects them all at one after everything is plugged in would probably make it work.

Was wondering about this too.  If I end up liking the improvement I'll definitely look into it further.

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #146 of 2,018
Quote:
Looking for some comparisons of the ODAC with some of the more expensive DACs to see how it fairs.  

If anyone can provide comparisons of the ODAC with DACs in the $500-$1,000 range, it  would be nice

Not a proper blind test BUT....

I work and have worked with many DACs. I have auditioned many and worked with studio grade, multi-thousand dollar DACs.

I can confidently tell you that the ODAC, for the price, leaves very little to be desired. Is it the very best DAC I have heard/used and does it have everything I want/need? No...but it's a damn, mighty fine DAC.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #147 of 2,018
Quote:
Not a proper blind test BUT....

I work and have worked with many DACs. I have auditioned many and worked with studio grade, multi-thousand dollar DACs.

I can confidently tell you that the ODAC, for the price, leaves very little to be desired. Is it the very best DAC I have heard/used and does it have everything I want/need? No...but it's a damn, mighty fine DAC.

High praise, LFF - thanks for that. Good to hear from someone with so much experience with high-end kit, but I still think my EHP-02 is butt-ugly. I know it should be about the sound, not the casework, but wouldnt it be so much nicer to have a DAC/amp with aesthetic appeal ?

If Peachtree can maintain a dealer network and still bring that in at 445 USD, surely someone with the requisite skills can design a more attractive case for the O2/ODAC ?  Just sayin'.  

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #148 of 2,018
Quote:

High praise, LFF - thanks for that. Good to hear from someone with so much experience with high-end kit, but I still think my EHP-02 is butt-ugly. I know it should be about the sound, not the casework, but wouldnt it be so much nicer to have a DAC/amp with aesthetic appeal ?

If Peachtree can maintain a dealer network and still bring that in at 445 USD, surely someone with the requisite skills can design a more attractive case for the O2/ODAC ?  Just sayin'.  

Looks really are not a problem for me. What concerns me, first and foremost is the sound.

I know and have read many white papers on why music should only go as high as 24/96. However, I, like many people, would still like to have the option to play back 24/192 or SACD sample rates back in their native format. I also wished it had spdif. While I would love a more pleasing aesthetic and maybe some indicator lights, the sound is what is paramount for me.

I have done many recordings from start to finish so I know what they should sound like. The ODAC tells it like it is. Adds nothing, fakes nothing, removes nothing. I like that.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #149 of 2,018
Wait...you think that hideous r2d2 fossil from the 70's w/ glowing blue nipples made my Hasbro looks better than the O2 casework?  You'd have to pay me $445 to put that thing on my desk.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #150 of 2,018
Quote:
Wait...you think that hideous r2d2 fossil from the 70's made my Hasbro looks better than the O2 casework?  You'd have to pay me $445 to put that thing on my desk.

Well...if you are a fan of R2D2, you can always buy a toy and install an ODAC and O2 within it. Shouldn't be too hard and might look cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back