Brief Odac impressions
Jun 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #106 of 2,018
Quote:
I received my ODAC today.  Let's just say that I'm glad I sold the Pico DAC.  Too bad I sold it before receiving the ODAC to perform a proper A/B comparison,but right off the bat, it's more detailed and clearer - all at 1/2 the price of the Pico.  There were some tracks that didn't sound "right" when using the Pico, not so with the ODAC.  The sound is much more fluid from the start and end of the chain.

The ODAC is a true bargain. 

And to think you tried to ignore my advice...

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #108 of 2,018
I think I should order from audiopoutine too. I prefer the c421 case of jdlabs but I hate the wired RCA 
Wonder If they can make the rca fixed in case like audiopoutine 
Quote:
I received my ODAC today.  Let's just say that I'm glad I sold the Pico DAC.  Too bad I sold it before receiving the ODAC to perform a proper A/B comparison,but right off the bat, it's more detailed and clearer - all at 1/2 the price of the Pico.  There were some tracks that didn't sound "right" when using the Pico, not so with the ODAC.  The sound is much more fluid from the start and end of the chain.

The ODAC is a true bargain. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #110 of 2,018
Lots of users have yet to get their odac unit, so you might have to wait for a while.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #111 of 2,018
Quote:
I think I should order from audiopoutine too. I prefer the c421 case of jdlabs but I hate the wired RCA 
Wonder If they can make the rca fixed in case like audiopoutine 

What?  I thought the RCA was an option not standard.  Is this the reason they aren't showing a full picture?

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #112 of 2,018
What?  I thought the RCA was an option not standard.  Is this the reason they aren't showing a full picture?

The ODAC board ships only with the USB input mounted. What output is installed and what enclosure is used are up to the supplier and/or end user. JDS Labs looks like they're supplying their pre-assembled ODACs with a 3.5 mm jack for the output. Audio Poutine has two options: a 3.5 mm jack alone or a 3.5 mm jack and two RCA jacks, but is using a more generic enclosure. I'm pretty sure you could ask Joe to configure it with RCA jacks alone, but I doubt it would result in much of a cost savings.

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #113 of 2,018
Bought a Odac amp/dac combo build in.

should i buy HD650, HD598 or K601 for it ?

listening mainly to cpop, jpop, kpop, ballad, female voice.
using my laptop.

i want the best sound for the genre and out of my odac.

and one other thing. How do i set it up to my laptop ?:p
there is usb to my laptop. should i just use the out to headphones ?
what about input ?
can i use O2 or the Dac seperately ?

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #114 of 2,018
Quote:
Bought a Odac amp/dac combo build in.

should i buy HD650, HD598 or K601 for it ?

listening mainly to cpop, jpop, kpop, ballad, female voice.
using my laptop.

i want the best sound for the genre and out of my odac.

and one other thing. How do i set it up to my laptop ?:p
there is usb to my laptop. should i just use the out to headphones ?
what about input ?
can i use O2 or the Dac seperately ?

I'm guessing here, but the AKG is probably the best out of those listed, just going by house sound.

laptop-> USB to ODAC -> jack on O2 (NOT ODAC) -> Headphones

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #115 of 2,018
I should be getting an ODAC by next week and will also be buying an pair of Active Studio Monitors KRK Rokit 5 to use with my desktop computer. Do you guys know if the ODAC will work well with these speakers? Alternatively I'm thinking of connecting it to my CEntrance DACport. I'll be using the ODAC as a standalone, will I be able to control the volume through the windows system? Thanks.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #116 of 2,018
Yesterday I put together two of the O2/ODAC setups together... 

My biggest complaint?   Going to HDTracks and spending $$$ money on FLAC songs so I can hear this sweet thing in all its glory...   :) 

The next complaint...  can't take the phones off and loosing too much sleep  :)   and I can't seem to get the smile off my face...

I installed Foobar2000 with the WASAPI component ( bypasses the windows stackup ) and got it all dial'd in...   those FLAC songs are to die for...

The O2/ODAC setup is great....   absolutely great...   I'm surprised at how much output the O2 has with the ODAC installed.. it runs my Beyer 880/600 phones much better now.. ( stock gains )

Also noticed the bass being much better on my HD800 phones too...   

this setup is hard to beat for the price... and it sounds so great

I also wired the O2 so the front input switches between the front input or the ODAC...   that way I can use it for the laptop/desktop computer or the Iphone/Ipad/Ipod

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #118 of 2,018
More impressions people!

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #119 of 2,018
Quote:
Yesterday I put together two of the O2/ODAC setups together... 

My biggest complaint?   Going to HDTracks and spending $$$ money on FLAC songs so I can hear this sweet thing in all its glory...   :) 

The next complaint...  can't take the phones off and loosing too much sleep  :)   and I can't seem to get the smile off my face...

I installed Foobar2000 with the WASAPI component ( bypasses the windows stackup ) and got it all dial'd in...   those FLAC songs are to die for...

The O2/ODAC setup is great....   absolutely great...   I'm surprised at how much output the O2 has with the ODAC installed.. it runs my Beyer 880/600 phones much better now.. ( stock gains )

Also noticed the bass being much better on my HD800 phones too...   

this setup is hard to beat for the price... and it sounds so great

I also wired the O2 so the front input switches between the front input or the ODAC...   that way I can use it for the laptop/desktop computer or the Iphone/Ipad/Ipod

Haha...glad to hear you like it, yeah, I find myself looking for even more flac tracks now that I have the ODAC. I just picked up the Dr. Chesky album that was on the home page for head-fi the other day. It's got some good stuff, my favorite track on there is the Mozart Ave Verum track, it sounds pretty nice...although some of tracks seem to have a lot of background noise which kind of sucks...but it's not a bad CD. I wired up mine the same way, that way the O2 can still be used outside of that ODAC too...makes fora nice combo.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #120 of 2,018
Quote:
I should be getting an ODAC by next week and will also be buying an pair of Active Studio Monitors KRK Rokit 5 to use with my desktop computer. Do you guys know if the ODAC will work well with these speakers? Alternatively I'm thinking of connecting it to my CEntrance DACport. I'll be using the ODAC as a standalone, will I be able to control the volume through the windows system? Thanks.

I am very interested in hearing how you think the Centrance DACport compares to the ODAC once you get yours. I have always heard about how good the Centrance products were, I jsut couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back