Brief Odac impressions
Jun 5, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #47 of 2,018
Quote:
Can we get some more impressions of this thing? <snip>

I'm also interested in a comparison between the ODAC and the HRT MSII, being at the same price range I'm considering getting one or the other.

I have had both the HRT MSII and the MSII+ for some time now, and enjoyed listening to both.
IMO the Odac wins, hands down.

Brief impressions - comparing it to the Odac, the MSII has a smaller soundstage, some etch in the upper registers and a bit of congestion
regarding instrument separation especially during "wall of sound" musical passages. It does render a good overall sound for a cheap DAC.

The MSII+ seemed to have cleaner treble than the MSII, wider soundstage, excellent separation.
What I didnt like was the somewhat recessed upper and mid registers that seemed to come at the expense of a wider soundstage.

Odac - wider soundstage, on par with the MSII+, no discernable treble etch, better voice reproduction, excellent instrument separation and air.
Bass reproduction seems to be excellent, as much as is possible with a STAX system.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #48 of 2,018
Just got my standalone ODAC in the mail.
I am upgrading from a Creative X-Fi Go!
Noticeable differences: I notice the lower sound floor. Detail extraction is better on the ODAC. I felt like the bass was a tick better as well -- it seemed slightly more full. I didn't notice a soundstage difference. My initial impression was that vocals were slightly more lush, but it was incredibly subtle and may just be my brain expecting things to be better.

The noise floor drop, however, is lovely. It's the final touch on my T20RPs to get the most out of them.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #49 of 2,018
I ordered maybe a month ago.?

M

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #50 of 2,018
Quote:
Just got my standalone ODAC in the mail.
I am upgrading from a Creative X-Fi Go!
Noticeable differences: I notice the lower sound floor. Detail extraction is better on the ODAC. I felt like the bass was a tick better as well -- it seemed slightly more full. I didn't notice a soundstage difference. My initial impression was that vocals were slightly more lush, but it was incredibly subtle and may just be my brain expecting things to be better.

The noise floor drop, however, is lovely. It's the final touch on my T20RPs to get the most out of them.

How much the DAC affects the rest of your system is really dependent on what headphones/amp you use with it.  However, what you noticed, I also noticed in some ways- so that's good.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #52 of 2,018
Curious for those who ordered from JDS Labs.  Are you getting a shipping confirmation when it goes out, or is the package just arriving on your doorstep?  I haven't heard anything yet (ordered May 15).

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #53 of 2,018
I got shipping confirmation, but I preordered back in April or whenever it first popped up.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #55 of 2,018
Safe to say that the ODAC is an improvement over a Fiio E17 (DAC only)?

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #56 of 2,018
That is probably a safe assumption, yes.  However, its only $100, so might as well try and if you can't tell a discernable difference sell it to someone else who wants it.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #57 of 2,018
Quote:
Curious for those who ordered from JDS Labs.  Are you getting a shipping confirmation when it goes out, or is the package just arriving on your doorstep?  I haven't heard anything yet (ordered May 15).

FWIW, I ordered on the 30th and was told mine would be going out toward the end of this week when I called to check up.

This is for a o2/odac in the same case.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #58 of 2,018
Quote:

I just ordered one yesterday and received shipment confirmation of mine today....mine was just the board so I can add it to my existing O2

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #59 of 2,018
Quote:
I just ordered one yesterday and received shipment confirmation of mine today....mine was just the board so I can add it to my existing O2

I do believe the holdup is the casework, as John offered to send me an o2/odac with the caveat of having smudged printing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back