Brief Odac impressions
Dec 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #1,336 of 2,018
In light of the recent discussion of hardware vs. software volume control I tried testing whether I can hear the difference or not. So I set the volume from my laptop to a minimal level and maxed my amp... It sounded pretty much the same (might be the fact that I used foobar's volume control, not Windows'), but I did find something else. Running directly from my USB port the ODAC seems to get high-pitched noises from the power supply. I know that my amp is dead silent so that's not the reason for the noise.

I had a random USB hub lying around that I have been using for the last few years that I got from Amazon for $5 or so. I didn't have any hope that it would sound any better, because it is a cheap unit without a dedicated power line, and I have my peripherals attached to it. But it turns out the ODAC sounds fine from it - there is absolutely no noise present now with the volume of the amp maxed. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 So I guess you don't need an expensive unit to reap the benefits. In any case, I can confirm that laptop power supplies can be noisy with the ODAC.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,337 of 2,018
Just received my JDS Labs ODAC and it's an impressive little unit--build quality of the enclosure is nice and the output is clean. Need some time to run the A-B tests before the SQ assessment.

I'm using the RCA outputs and the jacks are decent and well-spaced to accommodate thicker RCA male jacks. When I connect a 3.5mm cable to the front output, noticed the PCB inside is sliding and banging against the case. Is this an issue with the regular JDS enclosure? Or is this a QC/design issue with the RCA case being too long for the PCB? I figure there would be a stopper inside the case to prevent the board slide. Other than that, the unit is flawless.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,338 of 2,018
Quote:
Just received my JDS Labs ODAC and it's an impressive little unit--build quality of the enclosure is nice and the output is clean. Need some time to run the A-B tests before the SQ assessment.

I'm using the RCA outputs and the jacks are decent and well-spaced to accommodate thicker RCA male jacks. When I connect a 3.5mm cable to the front output, noticed the PCB inside is sliding and banging against the case. Is this an issue with the regular JDS enclosure? Or is this a QC/design issue with the RCA case being too long for the PCB? I figure there would be a stopper inside the case to prevent the board slide. Other than that, the unit is flawless.

Well, the original 3.5mm version that came in the longer case but without RCA used a stopper on the inside. Mine doesn't slide around. Email JDS and see what they have to say. They are some really nice guys and should work with you to resolve the problem.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,339 of 2,018
Alright guys,

I have the same problem with my laptop as I was having with my usb 3.0 ports on my desktop. Guess it's time to buy one of those powered usb hubs and give it a shot. Just wish the decent ones weren't so pricey :frowning2:

The problem is after 15 minutes or so the odac gets reaaaall distorted. I don't know why it happens after 10-15 minutes. I don't know why it only happens with my laptop or my usb 3.0 ports on my desktop. It's especially weird because the 3.0 ports worked for the longest time.

I have no idea what's going on. I'm starting to think maybe my ODAC itself is messed up somehow because no one else reports a problem like mine.

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,340 of 2,018
If possible try it on another computer to see if the problem is the ODAC itself. Also, try using it with any USB hub you have lying around and see if it helps. A generic $5 hub helped me resolve my issue (3 posts up).

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,341 of 2,018
Quote:
Well, the original 3.5mm version that came in the longer case but without RCA used a stopper on the inside. Mine doesn't slide around. Email JDS and see what they have to say. They are some really nice guys and should work with you to resolve the problem.

Thanks Chris. I opened up the case and the stopper measures 46.2mm. It's short 0.5 to 1.0mm. I sent an e-mail to John to get his thoughts.

I'm using the ODAC out of my laptop's USB 3.0 port. Also, have one of those 7 port USB 3.0 hubs and so far no issues. Try to isolate the problem by testing different outlets, amps, cables, friend's computer, if it occurs when running certain/multiple apps, peripherals, etc.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #1,344 of 2,018
I've had a number of people PM for impressions about how the ODAC/O2 stacks up to the UHA-6S MKII.  I briefly compared DAC/amp sections of these two rigs.. then offered some thoughts on how the amp sections of the O2 & UHA sound (when driven from the ODAC).  I thought I'd post one of my more involved (see: long winded) answers here since it might help others.  Obviously, these are my personal impressions/opinions, don't go crying to mommy if you disagree, yadda yadda yadda..

-----------------------------

The ODAC/O2 & UHA are quite similar in performance.  In the fairly extensive time I've spent comparing the ODAC & UHA's DAC section, I found the ODAC to sound superior.  Since I listen to both these rigs quite often, the differences are fairly easily distinguishable to me.. but in more general terms, the differences aren't as stark or lopsided as some HF members claim.  The UHA's DAC is more than capable DAC, IMO.  If I rated the ODAC as a 9/10.. the UHA's DAC would probably be an 8.25/10 or 8.5/10, IMO.  Vs. the UHA's DAC, the ODAC features a more multidimensional soundstage, better dynamics, cleaner instrument separation, and better overall clarity/transparency.  The UHA's amp is really good though.. very clean & transparent... perhaps slightly smoother sounding than the ODAC... but it lacks some of the depth and effortlessness the ODAC boasts.

Some criticize the UHA amp's OPA209 opamp (which is beautifully resolving, neutral, and tight, IMO) for not possessing a wide enough soundstage... but what I discovered is that the UHA's DAC does a nice job of complimenting this so-called 'shortcoming' in the OPA209 opamp by offering a pleasantly wide soundstage.  This is an often unmentioned and/or overlooked characteristic & a nice touch of synergy between the UHA's DAC & amp sections.  Unfortunately for the UHA's built-in DAC, the ODAC offers an even wider (and deeper) stage along with better resolution.  While I enjoy using the UHA as both a DAC/amp, pairing the ODAC with the UHA 's amp section (which is my primary portable rig) is an absolute beast of a setup.. one that's so impressive that it'll probably satisfy many people's portable rig search for the foreseeable future (well, at least for for me, anyways). 

Using the ODAC with both amps, the most significant strength the O2 has over the UHA's amp is the ultra-wide soundstage & slightly better dynamic range.  The O2's has a really impressive, open stage that possesses a very "live" quality.  The UHA's amp is no slouch in this category.. but the distinction can be easily observer (golden eara not required 
wink_face.gif
).  While the O2 sounds a little smoother, more substantial & possesses slightly more bass punch/impact than the UHA's amp, the UHA amp's bass response is slightly tighter, faster, and possesses a little more PRaT.  The UHA's amp also features a lower noise floor from my experience so you've got an even quieter/black background than the O2 (which is amazing).  Pair the UHA with the dead silent ODAC.. and you'll 'hear' one of the blackest backgrounds in all of portable audio  Comparatively vs the UHA (OPA209), the O2 might sound a little more 'musical'.. but the UHA sound like the the more accurate, cleaner sounding amp to me.

I like that the UHA's low gain is set at 1X.. it makes using it with IEMs quite easy since unity (1X) gain typically allows more of the volume pot to be utilized with highly sensitive IEMs.  The O2's low gain is at 2.3x (or 2.5x?).. but it performs nearly as well with highly sensitive IEMs.  I mention this more for informational purposes.. in real world use, i didn't have any problem using sensitive IEMs with the O2's low/default gain.  Less of the O2's pot was at my disposal.. but it was past the point of channel imbalance.

I like having both the O2 & UHA amps at my disposal since I have the HD600 & Paradox (two phones that benefit from the O2's higher output power).. but the UHA (in high gain mode) drives these full sized phones quite well, too.  The UHA's high gain sounds more linear and better controlled than the O2's high gain implementation, IMO.  The UHA as an all-in-one DAC+amp solution is plenty impressive.. especially since it can be used with the Galaxy S3's OTG cable/USB audio output.  Using the ODAC with the S3's OTG/USB audio has been less reliable/inconsistent IME.. it doesn't work less often than it does, for some reason (I'm running the stock Verizon/TouchWiz JellyBean ROM.. not rooted/unlocked/modded).

The ODAC/UHA provides enough of what the ODAC/O2 offers as far as soundstage.. while featuring slightly better resolving ability (than the ODAC/O2 combo), better battery life, and more versatility (digital & coax inputs).. all in a smaller, more compact, sexier, portable package.  The ODAC/UHA's cleaner sound has excellent synergy with the slightly warm, vinyl/analog-tinged character of the BA200, too.

My recommendation would be to get the ODAC & feed it to the UHA-6S MKII's amp section.  You'll get the terrifically transparent, dynamic, multidimensional, and highly resolving qualities of the ODAC along with the clear, tight, fast, PRaT-excelling quality of the UHA's amp section (with the OPA209).  This is my go to portable solution & I couldn't be happierwith the sound quality.  Recently, I had been eyeing the TTVJ Glacier and Portaphile 628 amps as potential upgrades to the UHA.  Those might be something I consider down the line.. and out of sheer curiosity.. but for now.. as I have spent a significant amount of time with the ODAC/UHA stack (and the ODAC/O2), I grew to really appreciate and become incredibly content with the terrific sound quality both these setups offer.  If it wasn't already apparent, I slightly favor the ODAC/UHA combo, though.. it's thoroughly satisfied performance requirements in a portable rig and I can't see myself letting for of it for the foreseeable future.
-----------------------------

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,345 of 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The UHA's high gain sounds more linear and better controlled than the O2's high gain implementation, IMO.

The default (6.5x) high gain of the O2 will clip with a full scale input from the ODAC, regardless of the volume setting on the O2. It should not be used, unless you really need the last few dB of power, and do not mind having to control the volume in software to avoid clipping, or have some very quiet music that will not clip even at 100% digital volume on high gain.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,346 of 2,018
Quote:
Alright guys,

I have the same problem with my laptop as I was having with my usb 3.0 ports on my desktop. Guess it's time to buy one of those powered usb hubs and give it a shot. Just wish the decent ones weren't so pricey :frowning2:

The problem is after 15 minutes or so the odac gets reaaaall distorted. I don't know why it happens after 10-15 minutes. I don't know why it only happens with my laptop or my usb 3.0 ports on my desktop. It's especially weird because the 3.0 ports worked for the longest time.

I have no idea what's going on. I'm starting to think maybe my ODAC itself is messed up somehow because no one else reports a problem like mine.

My ODAC is the RCA version purchased from Head 'n' HiFi, and I have the same problem with my Desktop's USB2.0 ports (running off the Intel Z68 chipset) - All sounds (including system sounds) will get distorted after 5mins, and I will need to disconnect and reconnect the ODAC for it to become normal before it craps out again 5mins later.  I've disabled the power saving options in Win7x64 device manager for the USB hubs, tried switching to the other USB2.0 ports, tried another USB cable, and nothing helped.

So far it does not happen with the same Desktop's USB3.0 ports (running off Etron EJ168 controller), nor my old AMD laptop's USB2.0 ports (running off the ATI Xpress 200M chipset).

Personally, the easiest way to detect the distortion is to open up the Sound section in Windows Control Panel, click the "Playback" tab, right click on the ODAC and choose "Test".  I can record the normal and distorted versions if anyone is interested.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,347 of 2,018
So it works ok on system with usb 3.0 ports bit after 5 min it starts crapping out on the same system with usb 2.0 ports?

And it works ok on a second system with AMD and us b 2.0 ports....

Cable, other usb 2.0 ports still the same...

It may be your usb 2.0 ports on this system arent cutting it for some reason?

Are there any other usb devices connected to the desktop when this happens?

Alex

Can u try a usb 2.0 hub connected to the desktop usb 2.0 ports and see if it is ok?

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,348 of 2,018
Quote:
My ODAC is the RCA version purchased from Head 'n' HiFi, and I have the same problem with my Desktop's USB2.0 ports (running off the Intel Z68 chipset) - All sounds (including system sounds) will get distorted after 5mins, and I will need to disconnect and reconnect the ODAC for it to become normal before it craps out again 5mins later.  I've disabled the power saving options in Win7x64 device manager for the USB hubs, tried switching to the other USB2.0 ports, tried another USB cable, and nothing helped.

So far it does not happen with the same Desktop's USB3.0 ports (running off Etron EJ168 controller), nor my old AMD laptop's USB2.0 ports (running off the ATI Xpress 200M chipset).

Personally, the easiest way to detect the distortion is to open up the Sound section in Windows Control Panel, click the "Playback" tab, right click on the ODAC and choose "Test".  I can record the normal and distorted versions if anyone is interested.

Isn't it freaking bizarre? I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem, but at the same time, relieved I'm not the only one. My problems are just as you describe, but the odac doesn't work with any of my 2.0 ports on my asus laptop or my 3.0 ports on my desktop.

Quote:
So it works ok on system with usb 3.0 ports bit after 5 min it starts crapping out on the same system with usb 2.0 ports?

And it works ok on a second system with AMD and us b 2.0 ports....

Cable, other usb 2.0 ports still the same...

It may be your usb 2.0 ports on this system arent cutting it for some reason?

Are there any other usb devices connected to the desktop when this happens?

Alex

Can u try a usb 2.0 hub connected to the desktop usb 2.0 ports and see if it is ok?

I have the problem reversed between my 3.0 and 2.0 ports XD. I don't think it's a 3.0 vs 2.0 thing, but.. it could be. I have quite a few other usb things connected to my desktop, a wifi card, a mouse, a webcam, sometimes a keyboard.. sometimes a card reader or my mp3 player. Just depends.

It's really a weird problem, it's more frustrating with my laptop than my desktop. It's no big deal to avoid using my 3.0 ports on my desktop, but it sucks to not be able to use my laptop at all.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,349 of 2,018
What I was trying to get at is if you can only have the ODAC attached to the USB 2.0 ports....and see if by itself will it play for more than 5 minutes....

Wondering if the load on the usb circuitry in the system?

Alex

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,350 of 2,018
Quote:
What I was trying to get at is if you can only have the ODAC attached to the USB 2.0 ports....and see if by itself will it play for more than 5 minutes....

Wondering if the load on the usb circuitry in the system?

Alex

Yeah, I could try that with my laptop. I'll report back. I'll try a usb hub too, but not a powered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back