Brief Odac impressions
Oct 9, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #1,082 of 2,018
Quote:
So how do you think about your ODAC. Is it good?

Very impressed. If you are into detail (in particular upper range) this dac can do wonders. 

I am using ER4S, O2 and ODAC and I have not heard such clarity till now. But I seem to have an issue with the micro USB, it is loose. So my advice is buy it local just in case you have to send it for RMA. I am sending mine back but for what I heard a great unit ! 

Edit:It was a problem with the USB cable, unit seems to be fine!

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,083 of 2,018
Oh so the USB cable of your ODAC is not good. It is really the great advice to buy an ODAC at local shop if we can to test it to make sure it is fine. Thankfully there is a shop in my city selling ODAC but I need to save money first. Thanks for your replying.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #1,084 of 2,018
Quote:
Oh so the USB cable of your ODAC is not good. It is really the great advice to buy an ODAC at local shop if we can to test it to make sure it is fine. Thankfully there is a shop in my city selling ODAC but I need to save money first. Thanks for your replying.

Please try to audition it, I would hate for you to buy it and hate how it sounds. Do you have any amp? If you dont maybe have a look at audioquest dragonfly. It is using the same DAC chip and the added bonus is that a)it supports 24/88.2 and also b)it has a decent amp section for IEM.

I think ODAC is nice however dragonfly is better value. I am buying it for pure on the road purposes. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #1,085 of 2,018
I have already had an amplifier, it is JDSlabs C421 OPA2227 and Fiio E10. However I found out Fiio E10 is not a good resolution dac, it is dark, so veil, lack dynamics, and 16-24 bit modes are the same, the soundstage is not good either. What can I expect from this cheap DAC/AMP E10? Nothing, maybe it is only good for very bright headphone such as AKG or Grado but not good for my Sennheiser HD598.

I really want to try ODAC and then after that I keep saving money to upgrade HD598 by buying MoonAudio cable.

About Dragonfly I really want to try but someone said that Dragonfly is just better than ODAC just a little bit and it is forgiving but ODAC is not. Then when my combo will be something like this, ODAC (neutral, unforgiving) -> C421 OPA2227(dark, smooth, transparent, warm and forgiving) -> HD598 (smooth, neutral on dark or bright side a little bit) --> Well may be heaven 
bigsmile_face.gif
or hell
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,086 of 2,018
Quote:
I have already had an amplifier, it is JDSlabs C421 OPA2227 and Fiio E10. However I found out Fiio E10 is not a good resolution dac, it is dark, so veil, lack dynamics, and 16-24 bit modes are the same, the soundstage is not good either. What can I expect from this cheap DAC/AMP E10? Nothing, maybe it is only good for very bright headphone such as AKG or Grado but not good for my Sennheiser HD598.

I really want to try ODAC and then after that I keep saving money to upgrade HD598 by buying MoonAudio cable.

About Dragonfly I really want to try but someone said that Dragonfly is just better than ODAC just a little bit and it is forgiving but ODAC is not. Then when my combo will be something like this, ODAC (neutral, unforgiving) -> C421 OPA2227(dark, smooth, transparent, warm and forgiving) -> HD598 (smooth, neutral on dark or bright side a little bit) --> Well may be heaven 
bigsmile_face.gif
or hell
evil_smiley.gif

We all hear differently, however ODAC is very transparent! I can testify for this. I have a vinyl rip of an album and I also bought the HD version from HD tracks. Before the ODAC with my desktop DAC I could not really tell them apart but with the ODAC I can clearly know which one is the vinyl rip and which one is the track based on the original master tap! I can hear all the traditional vinyl noises! And I need to add the vinyl was recorded using an analog to digital converter! 

It has a nice punch bass, but it is not bass heavy at all. The ODAC main strentgh is the upper region strength. I need to spend more time and let the unit burn but right out of the box the unit has amazing upper range detail. (which might be too much for vast majoirty of us since by most non audiophile product pays that much attention to upper range, people like beats and that is what they give them).

Honestly ER4S+O2 and ODAC is match mad in heaven. I hope the dragonfly is as good as this. I will buy it in about 2 months time.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,087 of 2,018
Quote:
We all hear differently, however ODAC is very transparent! I can testify for this. I have a vinyl rip of an album and I also bought the HD version from HD tracks. Before the ODAC with my desktop DAC I could not really tell them apart but with the ODAC I can clearly know which one is the vinyl rip and which one is the track based on the original master tap! I can hear all the traditional vinyl noises! And I need to add the vinyl was recorded using an analog to digital converter! 

It has a nice punch bass, but it is not bass heavy at all. The ODAC main strentgh is the upper region strength. I need to spend more time and let the unit burn but right out of the box the unit has amazing upper range detail. (which might be too much for vast majoirty of us since by most non audiophile product pays that much attention to upper range, people like beats and that is what they give them).

Honestly ER4S+O2 and ODAC is match mad in heaven. I hope the dragonfly is as good as this. I will buy it in about 2 months time.

your headphone of choice probably has a lot to do why you are focusing on the upper end of things :)

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,089 of 2,018
Anyone tried other opamps in the O2? I am asking this here as I was about to fit an external PSU to my ODAC then I tried replacing the JRC2068 with a JRC2114 (improved 5532 (sic)). The brittle edge of the ODAC seems to have gone. I might dig out my real 5532 and try that. Of course it is just imagination because I did not do a double blind test.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,091 of 2,018
I'm using linux and the sound is distorted. I need to set the volume at no more than 60% to get a clean sound.
Is this normal?

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,092 of 2,018
somebody convince me to buy one of these.

i've got a DLIII in my main speaker rig and so my HP set up has taken a back seat and is now using the lowly Firestone Fubar II.
will it be a noticable upgrade from the Fubar?

could it even allow my DLIII to go back to the HP rig and have the ODAC run my speaker set up?

the only thing holding me back is i don't like USB.  prefer digital coax err spdif or whatever the kids are calling it these days

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,093 of 2,018
Quote:
somebody convince me to buy one of these.

i've got a DLIII in my main speaker rig and so my HP set up has taken a back seat and is now using the lowly Firestone Fubar II.
will it be a noticable upgrade from the Fubar?

could it even allow my DLIII to go back to the HP rig and have the ODAC run my speaker set up?

the only thing holding me back is i don't like USB.  prefer digital coax err spdif or whatever the kids are calling it these days

google bushmaster dac if you are into coax, optical connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back