Brief Odac impressions
Jul 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #361 of 2,018
Quote:

My system is Macbook/Pure Music(hogmode&memory play enabled), Schitt Asgard amp/AKG701
With the O-dac in the loop the sound is edgy and thin though detailed when I replace it with the iBasso the sound is much fuller and weighty without any hardness yet still detailed.
It does show up poor recordings but the same sonic character is there on high quality rips such as those from Patricia Barber, Holly Cole etc.
My files are all ripped as AIFF.
Maybe it needs to burn in I don't know.

sounds like you prefer the sound signature of your ibasso over the ODAC

perhaps try some different headphones to see if you really do like the ibasso better, or if its just the AKG/ibasso pairing that you prefer

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #362 of 2,018
Received the ODAC today, and have been listening to it for the past 2 hours. I am very pleased with my purchase. (got it from Head'n'HiFi)

Win7 recognized it without any problems and foobar config was a breeze. Initial impressions are that the unit is very transparent. Great detailed rendition of highs without any fatigue on my system. (Audio-GD C-2C -> Senn HD650) Cohesive imaging and amazing detail extraction. 

Later this week I'll hopefully have time to A/B it with a Xonar Essence STX and will post detailed comments.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #363 of 2,018
Quote:
You are correct, I haven't heard them, an unfortunate side effect of the location in which I reside. 

The point I was trying to make was synergy, and I have done no shortage of reading on the K701, and everyone will agree its not a can for everyone, and when paired wrong it sounds bad.

The simple observation I made is that a worse product may produce much more enjoyable results, because of synergy, but do note, there will be a loss of clarity. 

I'm sure you will agree with this. and thus concludes the discussion. 
tongue_smile.gif

Well ok, for once you are correct. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #365 of 2,018
Quote:
No such objective state as 'ruthlessly revealing'. Revealing is just another way of saying perceived emphasis in upper midrange and higher which could be due to any number of reasons, some good (low noise  floor), some bad (odd order distortion), some debatable (flat frequency response).

According to you, at least.

It's not the first time that something (DAC/amp/headphones) measures extremely well on paper with ultra low distortion blablabla, yet can sound thin/lifeless with music.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #367 of 2,018
Quote:
After reading all this argument it made me want to buy one just so I can hear what all this argument is about :-D

How many headphones do you have?! 
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #369 of 2,018
Quote:

My system is Macbook/Pure Music(hogmode&memory play enabled), Schitt Asgard amp/AKG701
With the O-dac in the loop the sound is edgy and thin though detailed when I replace it with the iBasso the sound is much fuller and weighty without any hardness yet still detailed.
It does show up poor recordings but the same sonic character is there on high quality rips such as those from Patricia Barber, Holly Cole etc.
My files are all ripped as AIFF.
Maybe it needs to burn in I don't know.

the odac won't burn in, but your ears might

try a headphone other than the k701. I think k701 is colored and creating this sound you don't like.. Or, just keep using the ibasso, but I definitely think most people will tell you they would imagine it is the ibasso and the k701 that is colored and not the odac.
Quote:
Anyone tried a/bing this with a 6/7th gen iPod classic?

I haven't, but I don't need to. To put it quite frankly the modern ipod classics are terrible. I am positive the odac would be much better.

yes, I have listened to both. Yes, I have both in my possession.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #370 of 2,018
I own an ODAC and pair it with a C421 (OPA2227).  This is my first external DAC, but I must say it is a vast improvement over the onboard sound on my mobo, at least for me.  I would love an O2, but plan to instead wait for the ODA (Objective Desktop Amplifier) to be released (hopefully this fall).  All in all, for $150 pre-assembled, I don't see how you can go wrong with the ODAC.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #373 of 2,018
I think this USB isolator + good linear power supply should solve problems with treble distortion and interferences
http://www.circuitsathome.com/adum4160-usb-isolator-assembly-guide

in point 5. of article you can see this picture  http://www.circuitsathome.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/BS_combined.jpg
 Photo shows 1KHz analog calibrator waveforms displayed on Bitscope 310 USB DSO. Signal amplitude from top to bottom changes from 4V to 400mV to 40mV to 4mV p-p. Left column shows waveform with USB port of the instrument isolated, right column waveforms were obtained with instrument directly connected to the same USB port of the same PC. The results can be easily interpreted – while 4V signal looks pretty much the same on both pictures, smaller signals show more and more noise and 4mV signal on directly connected Bitscope is hard to interpret, let alone measure.

this solution in my opinion will be much better than many USB cables testing ....

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #374 of 2,018
Quote:

both great headphones and i havent followed your inquiry but if you love what you got, maybe its the amp/odac? youre changing your headphones to match your amp/dac signature and i think it hsould be the other way around, but thats just me.

You have the most backwards line of thinking IMO

Transparent gear, colored headphones ftw. Not Colored headphones and colored gear!

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back