Brief Denon AH-D7000 Review
Jan 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #46 of 77
this maybe right, but if you used all those upgrades on the ah-d7000, what happens then?

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are using a very expensive desktop amp and DAC, it doesn't worth it. Or you can buy a D2000 and upgrade the cable and the cups to wood later on and in the end you'll end up with something that is much better than the D7000.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #47 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm too lazy to stuff the earpads. For now I am going to let the headphones burn in and just enjoy. perhaps in a year or two from now when I get bored I might try moding the 7000's but for now they sound so good to me I will hold off.

The Denon 7000's really are the best out of the box experience i've ever had with a pair of headphones.

How do the Denon 7000's compare to your HD650's?

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #48 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I can answer why that thread was deleted, it's not a big conspiracy at all. I was repeatedly asked questions regarding the sound quality of the D7000 and to make comparisons which I had avoided answering until the end where I tried to word it in such a way as to (I hoped) comply with forum rules, though I knew no mater how I put it, I was skating on thin ice. An MOT is not allowed to comment on subjective matters regarding products they sell or modify, and my post crossed that line, so the thread was yanked, and in retrospect, I think correctly so. I certainly have no hard feelings about it whatsoever.

That's a classly reply.

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #49 of 77
got an email from new york's j&r that they have the ah-d7000 back in stock at some ridiculous price. they, of course, being an authorized dealer of denon....

paul

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #50 of 77
looking at your lot, i have the 650 and se530 also.

i had to get used to the tightness of the 7000 for 2 days as they were tight on my head (7.625). still, i know they're there, but they are more comfortable for me than the 650s.

soundwise, the 7k is a lot closer to the 530s than your 650s.

from there, the wonder of the 7k is where the 530s were so precise and accurate with every instrument and virtually distortion free, the 7k does that and gets the soundstage just a tad out of your nose, even an apparent inch makes a helluva difference.

it is rare that after an hour listening with the 530s that i forget they're there, because the music while incredibly detailed and fluid, the image is not out there. the 650s are better in this regards, but the 7k, even after just days of continuous listening, has shown a more natural soundstage, even now at night and at 5/8 daytime levels for me.

simon & Garfunkel's recent starbucks release of their 1969 concert where they sang bridge over troubled waters for the first time. the 7k was the only phone that captured the audience noise where someone dropped something. since i had never heard this with the 530s or 650s, i looked toward my left side. it almost resembled one of those theatre dolby surround sensations where a vehicle was coming from a distant left.
uncanny accurate with placement.

in terms of bass, wow!
with my old headroom max and off the iphone, a 192k encoded version of back's toccata and fugue in minor had some serious upper body shaking sensation, at non crazy listening levels. i will have to re-rip this piece into apple lossless and audition a few more times.
here, with the 40hz notes, the 7k has the 650 beat. i went back to the 650 and it was no as tight and distortion free as the 7k. 530s while have great lows, cannot do pipe organs of the los angeles congressional church.

in terms of vocals, i still prefer the 530s now for sarah mcclarlen and diana krell over the 7k, but instrumental jazz, like jazz at the pawnshop make me oh so happy as the 7k placed me in that smoky bar some 35 years ago, as if i were enjoying some of those classic once in a lifetime overseas experiences...

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the Denon 7000's compare to your HD650's?

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #51 of 77
OK..to the OP and other D7000 owners

It's been 2 months now since this post started. Are you still in love with the D7000? Are they still a nice compliment to the GS1000? I need a closed headphone and really enjoy my GS1000. Sensei said they work well on poorly recorded material. That's excellent news. Are the D7000 good with most all genres?

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #52 of 77
@Fido2
Yep, still in love.

I would say they are more likely to be a replacement for your GS1000, but one might see them as a complement.

I really like the GS1000s, save the brightness, but I have been looking for a rocking bass monster to replace the L3000s that I used to have. I actually think the L3000s are a perfect complement for the GS1000s, except for the price. I somewhat reluctantly took home the D7000s. It took a few different in-store auditions but eventually, I decided they did sound pretty good and deserved a closer inspection although it was clear they were not the speedy hard-hitters I was originally looking for. It took them about three days on my home rig to completely win me over and be promoted to the number one home rig slot. I was not succumbing to New Toy Syndrome, in fact, I was quite skeptical at first. They simply won me over. Such a magnificent bass with a completely smooth, rich, liquidy all-around presentation. They are great for poorly recorded material as I have mentioned before. But one thing that really amazed (and still amazes) me is how good they are with so many varied genres. It is not that I find them to excel at one genre and then just reasonably good at most others. I would say that they excel at quite a few varied genres, perhaps most of them. I love them with Folk, Funk, Soul, Epic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Janes Addiction), Alternative Rock, Electronica, Disco, Pop, Classical. For me, these are the best all-rounders I have heard.

I still really like my GS1000s, but the Denon’s are just so darn incredible. Always individual tastes factor more than anything else. The D7000s are quite well suited for mine but most certainly not for everyone’s.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #53 of 77
sensei

i had now listened to the AH-D7000 for 5 days and nearly 80 hours of burn-in.
i had about 5 minutes of auditioning with a GS1000 at a dealer.

from that brief encounter, i thought the grado gs1000 had the most unique "out of head" presentation i'd to date, but had not confirmed this with a more in depth review.

can you tell us what are the presentation differences between the GS1000 and the AH-D7000?

i mean, how much more out of the head and in front of the nose does the GS1000 get us compared with the AH-D7000?

thanks

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Fido2
Yep, still in love.

I would say they are more likely to be a replacement for your GS1000, but one might see them as a complement.

I really like the GS1000s, save the brightness, but I have been looking for a rocking bass monster to replace the L3000s that I used to have. I actually think the L3000s are a perfect complement for the GS1000s, except for the price. I somewhat reluctantly took home the D7000s. It took a few different in-store auditions but eventually, I decided they did sound pretty good and deserved a closer inspection although it was clear they were not the speedy hard-hitters I was originally looking for. It took them about three days on my home rig to completely win me over and be promoted to the number one home rig slot. I was not succumbing to New Toy Syndrome, in fact, I was quite skeptical at first. They simply won me over. Such a magnificent bass with a completely smooth, rich, liquidy all-around presentation. They are great for poorly recorded material as I have mentioned before. But one thing that really amazed (and still amazes) me is how good they are with so many varied genres. It is not that I find them to excel at one genre and then just reasonably good at most others. I would say that they excel at quite a few varied genres, perhaps most of them. I love them with Folk, Funk, Soul, Epic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Janes Addiction), Alternative Rock, Electronica, Disco, Pop, Classical. For me, these are the best all-rounders I have heard.

I still really like my GS1000s, but the Denon’s are just so darn incredible. Always individual tastes factor more than anything else. The D7000s are quite well suited for mine but most certainly not for everyone’s.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #55 of 77
Gu Sensei, you had a L3000??!! What happened to them? From everything I've heard, they're my dream headphones apart from the R10s.

More on topic, I got my D7000's a few days ago and I'm loving them. Great bass impact and control. Still in the burn-in process, can't wait to see how the SQ develops.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #56 of 77
Anyone compared D7000 and ATH-W5000 before ?
I know they are not in the same class, but i am kind of deciding between these 2.
Thanks

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #57 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone compared D7000 and ATH-W5000 before ?
I know they are not in the same class, but i am kind of deciding between these 2.
Thanks

Compleeeetely different sound signatures. The D7000 is warm and musical where as I found the W5000 to be cold, bass light & analytical. Even if I put my hand on the cups of the W5000 (due to the poor fit I experienced) the bass felt lacking. Not necessarily the quantity, but it just felt.. I dunno.. dull & uninvolving.
And what I really like about the D7000 is that it retains instrument separation and detail "despite" its warm & musical nature, something that is not that common - usually it's a trade-off.

For me, my tastes, my setup etc the D7000 not only beats the W5000, it also takes its lunch money, keys its car & vandalises its mailbox.
Best can I've ever owned/auditioned to date.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #58 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compleeeetely different sound signatures. The D7000 is warm and musical where as I found the W5000 to be cold, bass light & analytical. Even if I put my hand on the cups of the W5000 (due to the poor fit I experienced) the bass felt lacking. Not necessarily the quantity, but it just felt.. I dunno.. dull & uninvolving.
And what I really like about the D7000 is that it retains instrument separation and detail "despite" its warm & musical nature, something that is not that common - usually it's a trade-off.

For me, my tastes, my setup etc the D7000 not only beats the W5000, it also takes its lunch money, keys its car & vandalises its mailbox.
Best can I've ever owned/auditioned to date.

Thanks for the info mate
beerchug.gif

Heard mainly good things about D7000 (except the price bit
angry_face.gif
), on the other hand W5000 has mixed review.
Guess i will be getting the D7000. (After PS3 and 40' LCD
tongue.gif
)

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #59 of 77
I don't know about the D7000s compared to the ATH-W5000s, but...

... I have the D5000s (which sound similar to the D7000s), and the ATH-AD2000s (which sound similar to the W5000s).

And... I guess I'd concur that the D5000s, have a very slightly warmer, richer sound than the AD2000s, and maybe a bit more bass emphasis in the lowest frequencies. The AD2000s "bass peak" seems a bit more "peaky" than that of the D5000s, with more bass emphasis in the upper bass, lower mids relative to the lowest frequencies - making them sound like they have a bit more clarity and impact in their bass... a sharper, faster impact. The bass of the D5000s is a bit more full, and rounded, and less precise, less sharp.

Similarly, the upper mids and highs of the AD2000s are a bit more emphasized, and seem to be a bit faster, and clearer with good resolution and separation. The D5000s highs are also certainly clear, layered, and with good separation and resolution. Both phones can be a bit bright, almost harsh, with some music, much like Grados.

But... the mids of the AD2000s seem to be more balanced with the rest of the frequencies, and a bit richer, and bolder, than the D5000s.

Do the AD2000s sound a bit faster and cooler than the D5000s - yes, but not so much, that I don't like their sound.

And... it depends very much on the set ups you mate with each, as well as their burn in, and pad mods - how they compare. The fit of the pads of the AD2000s make a huge difference in how tollerable their upper mids and highs are - the pad mods make them much more tolerable.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #60 of 77
The bass of the D7000 is vastly improved over the D5000. So much tighter and balanced. That "12 woofers in the trunk"-sound that markl referred to it as (and to which I agree) is gone.
And with my WA6-amp I've had zero sibilance with my D7000. I did experience sibilance with the D5000 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back