Brief Denon AH-D7000 Review
Dec 22, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #76 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just went through a comparison of the D2000, D5000, and D7000.

I bought the D2000 for $250 (Amazon) about 3 weeks ago. Compared to the HD650 they immediately seemed like a really fun headphone with all kinds of Rock music. My DT990 are nice Rock phones as well, but compared to D2000 their bass is not as well defined and the higher frequencies tend to be too "thin" sounding.

I let them burn in for about 100 hours.

Then I saw the D5000 for $400 on Amazon, decided to try them out as well. No risk, just return whichever one I liked less than the other. A very different sound out of the box, better imaging, more bass, and more present mids compared to the D2000. Whereas the D2000 put the vocals and drums upfront, the D5000 made everything sound more even. I initially didn't enjoy the D5000 vocals as much, and the ever present bass was starting to annoy me. Wasn't as flabby or boomy as I had read described in other reviews, just seemed a little too present (but still decently defined). After about 75 hour of breaking in, the bass issue settled down a bit. Very nice high frequency response, more refined than the D2000. They sounded pretty good with classical music as well, a nice contrast in presentation to the HD650 in this genre. (Could not say the same for the D2000 in this regard.) I could definitely live with these as my primary HP for most of my music listening.

The headphone cable on both headphones looks identical. Just for kicks, I decided to put the D2000 composite metal cups on the D5000 to see how it might effect the sound. Not much of a difference that I could detect. I didn't try the reverse, and just put the wood cups back on the D5000.

I couldn't stop wondering about the D7000 and reading all the reviews I could find. I had to know how much of an improvement they would be over the D5000. Afterall, I consider the D5000 to definitely be worth the $150 increase over the D2000. So I called J&R a few days ago and was able to land a deal for $595 (+ shipping), just received them yesterday.

Before I tried them out, I was telling my wife that I really hope they're not that much better than the D5000, because I could still choose the D2000 (more fun with Rock music, and still have HD650 for classical) or I could decide to keep the D5000 as I was getting used to its vocal presentation. Either way, at most I was going to shell out $400.

The addition of the black storage box is a nice plus with the D7000, but it's not a $200-nice touch. The headphone cord is supposedly higher quality than the D5000, but according to the Denon website the specs are identical (7N-OFC grade 99.99999% cabling). Nice wooden cups though, and they fit better on my head compared to the D5000, about as comfortable as the D2000 -- very comfy. (I had to bend the D5000's band a little bit because it was causing some pressure at the top of my head.) I plug it into my HeadRoom Desktop amp (home module/DAC) and fire up some Porcupine Tree via Apple Lossless.

Wow. These are some nice headphones. Rich sound. Really, they sound like good full range tower speakers. The bass is not in the way, but you feel it and it sure feels right! The high frequencies have more "sparkle" than the D5000, but no sibilance. Vocals sound great, even though they aren't as forward as with the D2000. They are where they should be. Great imaging.

Listened to several songs from different artists, kept switching between all 3 headphones. In every case, the D7000 totally outclassed the D2000 and made them sound dull with sloppy bass in comparison. Funny, I remember my brain thinking that the D2000 sounded pretty good when I first heard them, but the D7000 just sounded better in all ways.

The improvement over the D5000 is more subtle, but it's definitely present. $200 better? Yeah. To me, definitely worth buying @ $600. Not so much at > $700.

They're not burned in yet, but I know these are the ones - the D2000/D5000 are being returned. Will see how they do with classical music this weekend, but if the D5000 is any indication, I'm sure they'll be great with that as well.

As an aside, I still like the HD650 classical presentation (open vs. closed headphone), but if they have to go, so be it.

lol that sounds exactly like something i would do, im having the same trouble with ultrasones right now.

to spare your wallet i have compared the denon 7000 to my dx1000 and prefer the denon 7000, i did hear modding the dx makes them alot better, but i still think the d 7000 would beat em plus u could always mod the 7000 anyone tried that?

i pesonally wouldnt mod anything that i like the sound from, i will never ever sell my denon 7000, they murder high dollars cans for breakfast
i got mine for 570

Users who are viewing this thread

Back