Breakup Music
Jan 4, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #61 of 152
My last break up was filled with alot of Taking Back Sunday. Their older albums really get me. When you sleep in all weekend, wearing your pajamas and eating cereal.

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #62 of 152
I mistakenly put on "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. Luckily, the noose was only half tied when the song ended.
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #63 of 152
Depends on the sentiment at the time.....

Angry- Feeling Better- Sugar
Sad to the point of Melodrama- I'm not in Love-10cc

Weird sad- Cry- Godley and Creme (you have to see the video to truly appreciate it)

longer term and still hurts even now- your'e a big girl now- Bob Dylan (biograph version)

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #64 of 152
Stabbing Westard - Darkest Days. It was written specifically about the singer's breakup with an ex. It is industiral/metal and VERY dark/brooding (as the title suggests), but in that strange way that angry/sad music can be, I found/find it very uplifting and energetic! It can take you from moping to punching the air goin' "yeaaah!" cos he sings a lot of stuff that all people will have heard. Definitely lights off stuff hahah

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #65 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put that album on repeat last time i broke up. You have to listen to it. Let your ex listen to it too, as a breakup present. Maybe she'll regret breaking up and you'll be happy together again.

Oh no, I don't need that. No. No. People break up for a reason... you know. And most of the time people don't change.
evil_smiley.gif

Some more songs: This Love by Maroon 5, All I Really Want To Do by Bob Dylan, To Ramona by Bob Dylan, It Ain't Me Babe by (you guessed it!) Bob Dylan.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #68 of 152
I think for break up music, Chinese music is unrivaled.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #69 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2
I don't understand like half the words but i think its all melodramatic/sad/breakup/cheating/SO dying of illness/love triangle, square, pentagon stuff... otherwise it's really girly happy go lucky karaoke suitable stuff..

If I feel like feeling lonely I listen to jay chou. They have translations and stuff here for all you non mandarins(kind of rare these days if you check the world census
tongue.gif
)

Some of his music videos (the sad ones) are pretty good...
I like these:
Coral Sea
Run Aground
Maple

His mv's can get jaded after awhile since they all exhibit common recurring themes:

Characters:
-Jay Himself
-Some random girl he likes
-That girls boyfriend who is clueless
-Some other girl who likes jay but seems bitchy

Themes:
-Jay stalks someone and has walls full of photos of them
-Same as above but has album full of photos of the subject being followed
-Some bitchy person who is actually jays gf finds out and gets mad
or
-The above bitch finds out, but doesnt get mad, yet hugs him right at the moment the other party arrives and sees this, and runs away crying or something like that.
or
Any combination of the following topics:
Girl, Jay, Guy, love triange, love square, love pentagon, everyone is in love but with the wrong person, Jay in an exotic locale,

Alternative Themes:
-Rapping (trying to) while scantily clad women stand around.
or
-Some vain attempts at artistic expression including but not limited to:
- camera angle play
- caucasian people (especially children) with absolutely no relevance to the theme (think 藉口)
- scenes with people in ancient oriental dress in the same love quagmires as their modern counterparts? (think 髮如雪)

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #70 of 152
What nationality are you hydrocity? And for breakup music, I like A-do.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 152
well Im pretty much all american now, since my mandarin is lacking these days, but my parents were from mainland..

Wow ado...I remember in hs this girl gave me the cds and I was enchanted at the style, which if I remember correctly very... "traditional" Taiwanese pop. I particularly liked a song called something like "he must love you very much" or something on that order..

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #72 of 152
Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division is the ultimate.

When routine bites hard, and ambitions are low
And resentment rides high, but emotions won't grow
And we're changing our ways, taking different roads
Then love, love will tear us apart again --

Why is the bedroom so cold? You've turned away on your side
Is my timing that flawed - our respect run so dry?
Yet there's still this appeal that we've kept through our lives
Love, love will tear us apart again --

You cry out in your sleep - all my failings expose
There's a taste in my mouth, as desperation takes hold
Just that something so good just can't function no more
When love, love will tear us apart again --

But my old dormmate listened to "Stay" by Lisa Loeb for a week straight after he broke up with his gal - ugh, couldn't stand it, so weepy!

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #73 of 152
For my breakups, I liked to get drunk and rock out, so anything hard and heavy helped with the catharsis.

This post made me recall when a buddy found out his honey had been cheating. I bought him a bottle of Jack, and while we imbibed, he played "I Know Your Little Secret", by Afghan Whigs, over and over and over. When I hear that song, my head spins.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #74 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Woo Bai from Taiwan is a good one for that. I bet the French have good breakup music too, alas I don't understand the language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back