Breaking-in headphones, the final verdict!
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #211 of 685
All you have to do is define what aspect of the sound you're talking about... frequency response, distortion, volume/gain, timing. It would help if it was measured to verify your impressions too.

Doing a controlled listening test with two sets of speakers isn't hard. Just set them side by side and blindfold the listener and tester. Make sure the distance is far enough that the space between the pairs isn't discernible, or do multiple tests randomly swapping them back and forth.

If something can't be measured, it can't be heard. Our ability to measure sound FAR exceeds our ability to hear it on every aspect of sound reproduction.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #212 of 685
All you have to do is define what aspect of the sound you're talking about... frequency response, distortion, volume/gain, timing. It would help if it was measured to verify your impressions too.

Doing a controlled listening test with two sets of speakers isn't hard. Just set them side by side and blindfold the listener and tester. Make sure the distance is far enough that the space between the pairs isn't discernible, or do multiple tests randomly swapping them back and forth.

OK, then look at my description and you will see that we did that with an ABX box. With identical looking speakers, with and without a curtain in front of them.

If something can't be measured, it can't be heard. Our ability to measure sound FAR exceeds our ability to hear it on every aspect of sound reproduction.

Agreed, but sometimes it is beyond the measurement kit available at the time.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #213 of 685
My take on this topic from my AKG K340 experience is that there are two things that are affecting the burn-in:
1) Psychological - you get used to the headphones with time and the sound signature. I previously had Audio Technica TAD400 for 3 years as only headphone
and after trying out the K340s I was disappointed. Now after spending 20 hours with them on my head I really like them - and I did nothing, still the same amp, config, etc.
2) Pads - if the pads are hard they take some time to conform to the head and good seal is very important with any headphone.

Now you have to notice that I am speaking about 30 year old headphones that were heavily used and still they sound much better after some time spent with them which
is one thing to think about.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #214 of 685
OK, then look at my description and you will see that we did that with an ABX box. With identical looking speakers, with and without a curtain in front of them.

OK, so what specifically was the difference? Volume level? Frequency response? Dynamics? Distortion? Could you record the difference?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #215 of 685
I believe in subtle differences, and your ear getting used to the sound signature of the headphone's as well as your music being played ON that headphone. It's a combonation of all of those including using your headphone's with different devices that may cause such a large perception of change as burn in.
Logic and intelligence will get you nowhere in here....sorry

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #217 of 685
I am having trouble figuring out what you're trying to say, skwoodwiva. You might want to slow down and make points rather than hit and run comments that only you understand.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #223 of 685
Maybe I'm confused, or maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but doesn't this show burn in?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break-page-2

Picture 1ddgr0.png

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #224 of 685

Users who are viewing this thread

Back