Bravo V2 + Focusrite Saffire
Mar 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Teoman

New Head-Fier
Hello guys. I've recently purchased the Bravo V2 amplfier and an AKG K702 to go along with my Focusrite PRO 24 DSP Firewire audio interface ( http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffire/saffire_pro_24_dsp/Specifications/#Specifications )

I will be using one of the two headphone jacks to connect to the amp. I had a 3.5mm to Stereo Audio (2 RCA) Cable on mind ( http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-5m-Ultra-Premium-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-2-RCA-Cable-/200579006594 ) Am I doing it correctly? and is this recommended?

The Soundcard's Headphone outputs

Headphone Outputs
  1. Frequency Response 20Hz-20KHz +/- 0.1dB
  2. SNR 105dB "A"
  3. DNR 105dB "A"
  4. Maximum Output into 32R +12.4dBu (+10.2dBV)
  5. Power into 32R 250mW
  6. Output Impedance < 7Ohms
  7.  Load Impedance > 24Ohms

I've really confused myself. I'm very inexperienced. All guidance is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Use the line-outs from the Saffire.  I'm not sure which, so experiment.  You will need a pair of RCA-to-TRS cables.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you for your reply, Mad Max. Is it not ideal to use the headphone outputs instead of the line-outs? in order to activate VRM (Virtual Reference Monitoring) feature of the device, the audio needs to come out through the headphone jacks. I'm not 100% sure on this. Will there be a noticable difference in quality?

With the Bravo V2 amplifier, is it better to use the 3.5mm or RCA input?

Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 10
The Saffire uses TS/TRS outputs.

It said on the website that headphone-out 1 is the same as line outputs 3 + 4 and headphone-out 2 is the same as line outputs 5 + 6.  Each headphone output is going to have an extra amp circuit so the line-outs would be better unless you want that feature you mentioned, I suppose.  Then you will need a 3.5mm female-to-male 1/4" (~6.5mm) adapter so you can use that y-cable, plugging the RCAs to the Bravo V2.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Cheers, Mad Max.

I'm not sure though, that I understand the issue with the extra amp circuit through the headphone output. Does that simply mean in the end the output from the amp will be louder? will there be some kind of unwanted noise connecting through the headphone output? Quality difference both ways? I can definitely sacrifice the VRM feature while listening to music in general.

I've heard the Bravo V2 can make the AKG K702 sound as good as the Grado GS1000, and that kind of revealing sound is well received when working with music, and I want to make the most out of my purchases, so that is why I'm here. Thanks again.

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 10
The extra amp circuit provides more control for the headphone.  It also includes volume control whereas the line out doesn't so the line output should be a little better at least.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The extra amp circuit provides more control for the headphone.  It also includes volume control whereas the line out doesn't so the line output should be a little better at least.

I'm sorry. I failed to understand that. You've described the headphone output's extra amp circuit to provide more control and include a volume control, which enables it to have more features, whereas the line output has none, yet you say the line output comes out a little better. How so, could you elaborate on that, please?

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 10
Less stuff in the signal path, basically.  The less, the better.  =]

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Thank you very much, Mad Max and hello again,

I went with the 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable along with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adaptor (the amp and cables are yet to arrive) I wanted to also go with cables for the line outputs aswell, however I became a little confused again on the way :)

The Audio Interface I'm using has the following outputs;

Analogue Audio Outputs (Outputs 1-6)
6 x TRS analogue outputs (Outputs 1-6)
2 x TRS stereo headphone output (headphone mix 1 same as outputs 3 & 4, headphone mix 2 same as outputs 5 & 6)

Digital Channel Outputs (Outputs 7-8) 44.1-96kHz
• Stereo S/PDIF output on RCA

Now, I noticed the 1.4" to 2x RCA cables are the single TRS input which makes it a balanced line, however am I right to believe the Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP Audio Interface has unbalanced line outputs hence needing 2x 1.4" to 2x RCA cables? I'm really not sure. Would it work if the Digital Channel Outputs were used also? do S/PDIF 1x RCA to 2x RCA cables exist?

The Bravo V2 also has a 3.5mm input, is that ideal over the rca inputs (then replacing all the above mentioned RCA with 3.5mm)?

Apologies for the copious amounts of questions and thanks again,

Teo

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Those digital outputs are for feeding the digital inputs of other equipment.

3.5mm or RCA input on the Bravo, whichever should be fine.

You will plug the 3.5mm-female-to-1/4"-male adapter into one of the headphone outputs on the Saffire then plug the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable into that, then you plug the RCAs into the Bravo and enjoy your music.

For the TRS outputs...  You would ideally want a balanced amp and a pair of TRS-to-XLR cables.  I should have said that in my first post.  =\   Shoot me.
Alternatively, you would need a pair of TRS-to-RCA cables.

The 3.5mm input on the Bravo isn't balanced, balanced would be TRRS if just one jack.  (tip, ring, ring sleeve which is left+, right+, left-, right- if I am not mistaken)
The TRS outputs on the Saffire, like line-outs 3 & 4 for example, will be right+, right-, ground on one jack then left+, left-, ground on the other.  The Bravo's RCA inputs are each signal, ground then the 3.5mm TRS input is left (tip), right (ring), ground (sleeve).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back