Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Dec 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,741 of 2,720
Holy Crap!
I don't remember this song sounding like THIS before?!!!
Mshenay, if you like sexy sounding female vocals, check out the very atmospheric "The Only Hand to Hold" by Prefuse 73. Love, LOVE her voice on this track, the b-DUN-duh of the bass, but WOAH! Listen with your amp, and tell me if you hear a Saran-Wrap sheen that lays over the track... Sounds very unique! This new tube REALLY digs into the textures of audio. The Amperex I started with (and used for most of December) is kinda smooth and weighty, what I would imagine an HD650 sound signature to sound like, but this Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 sounds like what I expect a $400 sound system to sound like compared to what I had before. Both tubes are of good quality, but I'm loving this one right now!

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #1,742 of 2,720
After a long period of inactivity, I decided to hook my Bravo Audio V2 back up and give it a listen, using my Fiio E10 as my DAC.

I haven't modded it at all (beyond switching the stock tube for an RCA tube I bought off eBay) and, even with my HD600s, it sounds absolutely incredible. Great warmth, detail retrieval and balance that really makes the HD600s a pleasure to listen to.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,744 of 2,720
I need some help!

I bought a Bravo V2, finally came after nearly a month of waiting. I got it for my xbox, to plug my rca into, then Sennheiser HD555's for the goodness. I used it for a game of call of duty, then had to go do whatever. I was busy for 5 days so it was just sitting there, plugged in but not on on my desk. Today I tried to use it, it wouldn't come on. The red power light wasn't working, tube didn't have the blue glow to it, it was dead. I tried plugging it in again, nothing. It was weird though, I had it plugged in, unplugged it from the outlet but left it plugged into the preamp and the power light/tube were on for a few seconds and slowly faded. I'm just wondering what the problem is. Is it the power unit? 

Any ideas would be fantastic, thank you very much!

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,745 of 2,720
Statutory,
Sounds like the LED lights came on for a sec just from some residual power flowing from the capacitors, but the amp wasn't receiving more power from the wall. It could be many things, but if I was you I'd first make sure both ends of the power cord were plugged in securely. You may even have looseness in the amp's power jack, so you have to move the power cable around until it rests just so in the power socket that your amp comes back to life. Please, be careful not to shock yourself while trying this.
Good luck & happy new year!

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,746 of 2,720
Quote:
I need some help!

I bought a Bravo V2, finally came after nearly a month of waiting. I got it for my xbox, to plug my rca into, then Sennheiser HD555's for the goodness. I used it for a game of call of duty, then had to go do whatever. I was busy for 5 days so it was just sitting there, plugged in but not on on my desk. Today I tried to use it, it wouldn't come on. The red power light wasn't working, tube didn't have the blue glow to it, it was dead. I tried plugging it in again, nothing. It was weird though, I had it plugged in, unplugged it from the outlet but left it plugged into the preamp and the power light/tube were on for a few seconds and slowly faded. I'm just wondering what the problem is. Is it the power unit? 

Any ideas would be fantastic, thank you very much!

Sounds like you have a power switch problem with the DPT switch. Myself and other's on Rockgrotto board that has a Bravo recommend to get rid of that switch and buy a better quality one. I had this problem myself way back when I first bought mine, but if you push the switch knob inwards a bit while moving it to on position, the switch itself should click back into position.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,747 of 2,720
I tried pushing the knob in, didn't work. What switch would you recommend me getting. I'm not super great at soldering, I have the solder sucker thing and a soldering iron, I don't think I have the proper solder though. Links? :) Thank you for your responses!

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #1,748 of 2,720
Quote:
Sounds like you have a power switch problem with the DPT switch. Myself and other's on Rockgrotto board that has a Bravo recommend to get rid of that switch and buy a better quality one. I had this problem myself way back when I first bought mine, but if you push the switch knob inwards a bit while moving it to on position, the switch itself should click back into position.

An this is why I own an Ideed G3 and not a Bravo <3

But the Bravo is about $50 cheap so... you get what you pay for :[ (not sound wise, but I was told the Bravo is GREAT for people who enjoy modding... since it benifits so much from a number of inexpensive mods] But I think that applies to a lot of the Sub $100 Tube Hybrids

Non the less, you might try going to the for sale boards and seeing if you can find some one who would be nice enough to do a little work on it for you. I'm also pretty bad at soddering [thankfully my amp can Pre Modded from it's first owner] In addition while your getting it fixed you could maybe spend $30 or so dollars and get some mods done to it. Does the Bravo come with the "better" mofsets? Non the less I'd check out the Bravo mod forum and again, fix and it improve it all at once. And sorry to hear that it's not working :[

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,749 of 2,720
Hey I'm looking for tube rolling recommendations for the v2 - Some things I had my eyes on are

Tung Sol 6189s
RCA 5963 (has a grey top)
GE 5963
Brimar 12au7
Sylvania Baldwin 12au7 (1961)
1960 GE 12AU7
1961 RCA Clear Tops

Looking for 3-4 of these to select. Any tips? I'm looking for different sorts of sound sigs from each set

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #1,753 of 2,720
Hey DefQon,
Tube choice, especially considering an AKG Q701 and a love for texture and musicality (there's a vague term!):

Red letter RCA (supposedly similar to Amperex orange globe)
Reflector Military 6N23P EV

price is about the same... Your thoughts/opinions would be nice :) I currently enjoy a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 a lot, though I'm still curious.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #1,754 of 2,720
Just ordered an Bravo Audio Ocean for fun, not been very interested into the tube amps. But might aswell give it a shot is so cheap and it just looksso cute
tongue.gif

Anyone who know what is a good tube for this one that would match some Beyerdynamic DT880 or a Mad Dog?

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,755 of 2,720
Quote:
Hey DefQon,
Tube choice, especially considering an AKG Q701 and a love for texture and musicality (there's a vague term!):

Red letter RCA (supposedly similar to Amperex orange globe)
Reflector Military 6N23P EV

price is about the same... Your thoughts/opinions would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif
I currently enjoy a Sylvania JAN 6DJ8 a lot, though I'm still curious.

The RCA (regardless of grade, production spec military or mass production model's) will provide a bit more bass and is slightly laid-back sounding (sort of warmish and dark). I would only imagine it would suit your Q701's brighter sound sig very well, balancing it out.  Haven't heard much of the Amperex Orange globes but a quick search returns them being around the same price as the Holland 1951-54 "flashers" (around $15-30) on fleabay. You can get Bugleboys for around the same price sometimes which is better than the red, white, silver and green letter RCA's. Other options you can consider that pair well with the Q701 sound wise, are Mullards CV4003's usually $30-40 a pop.

Have not heard and or used the Reflector Military 6N23P- EV's, I have limited experience when it comes to 6922 variants, only have more experience with 300b, KT66/88, 6SN7/6AS7, 12XX7 and 6NP/6AQB tubes.

Also I might try some 12BH7's soon which should work well as a substitute for the 12AU7 in the Bravo circuit. Biasing will be a pain, subjectively speaking a 12BH7 drop in replacement should blow the 12AU7 out of the water in every way sound production wise possible. We'll see.

Btw are you tube rolling in an Indeed/Bravo v3 amp? The Bravo v2 does not take 6v tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back