Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Mar 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,471 of 2,720
replacing the adapter is the best choice or a power cable upgrade.

for now, i was able to ever-so slightly bend the center pin down in the power inlet.  
since the power adapter only has two bars of contacts inside, just line them up top to bottom and it works better.  power cable fits a bit more snug now too.

Quote:
I haven't found a solution yet. I just angle it right and then try to keep it balanced without touching it. :) Ridiculous actually... 

I received a nice package from Garage1217 with his spare parts! Now all I need is some DIY skills to let the modding commence! 

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #1,472 of 2,720
Welcome to the DIY club! 

These Chinese amps are an excellent start to learn soldering. The parts and joints are nice and big, the mods are very well documented and the circuit is relatively simple to understand. 
You'll really be surprised by how fast you'll become skilled at this 
smile.gif

I'm currently working on an AMB M^3 amp myself, based on OPA627s and with an extra bass boost pot 
L3000.gif

Never soldered in my life until I started modding my Indeed G2 3 months ago!

PS In Benelux I find ordering at Farnell to be great for small quantities (shipping is always free and delivered the next day), Mouser is cheaper for large orders (free shipping > 75 EUR) and usually has more choice but takes 3 to 5 days to arrive as they ship from the US.
Also, make sure to check out the 'make presents' videos on youtube, very helpful to learn the role of various components on a PCB.

Quote:
I haven't found a solution yet. I just angle it right and then try to keep it balanced without touching it. :) Ridiculous actually... 

I received a nice package from Garage1217 with his spare parts! Now all I need is some DIY skills to let the modding commence! 

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #1,473 of 2,720
Hello!
I got this cute amp yesterday and am satisfied with the soud. But there is loud buzzing, probably from WiFi, driving me crazy!. I can even change the character and volume of the buzzing by moving RCA and (which I find strange) by moving the headphones cable too. Only solution I was able to find is to find silent spot on my desk. Well, here I have failed and need some more advice. Should I shield the unit somehow?

My setup: laptop PC -> Pro-ject USB Box DAC -> Bravo amp -> Shure SRH240

Thanks for any input!

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #1,475 of 2,720

Quote:
Hello!
I got this cute amp yesterday and am satisfied with the soud. But there is loud buzzing, probably from WiFi, driving me crazy!. I can even change the character and volume of the buzzing by moving RCA and (which I find strange) by moving the headphones cable too. Only solution I was able to find is to find silent spot on my desk. Well, here I have failed and need some more advice. Should I shield the unit somehow?

My setup: laptop PC -> Pro-ject USB Box DAC -> Bravo amp -> Shure SRH240

Thanks for any input!

You could put it in a metal case connected to the ground plane to solve the interference problem. You would need to replace the RCA jacks and power switch with panel mounted ones (unless you can find a case with exactly the Bravo's dimensions). Shouldn't cost more than a few dollars, add another 20$ or so for a Hammond case or similar. Making a nice top cover with enough air flow for the LM's and MOSFETs will require some dremel work.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,476 of 2,720
whoa, slow down my friend! I'm not skilled nor equipped enough to replace any components, so I guess I'll give it few more hours of playing time and see if the same happens as did to Negakinu.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #1,477 of 2,720
whoa, slow down my friend! I'm not skilled nor equipped enough to replace any components, so I guess I'll give it few more hours of playing time and see if the same happens as did to Negakinu.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #1,478 of 2,720
I was doing some thinking, and I think there is no use trying to keep Bravo amp at all costs, considering there is huge WiFi/GSM router on the building next door. I'm thinking of letting go both the Bravo amp and Pro-ject USB box and replacing it with uDAC. That will provide for both my Shure 240s and my active speakers in one gadget. Do you think this is good idea? Will uDAC pick the same buzzing from the WiFi mess I seem to have in my room?

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #1,479 of 2,720
Some progress in the case, maybe? I hooked up my old cheap Philips headphones and they produce silent to none buzzing when connected to the amp. Volume needs to be turned way up to achieve the same sound volume as with Shure, so I guess there is big difference in impedance between these two. This might also be the reason why the Shures are such a good WiFi signal receiver :)  I thought headphones at this level would be shielded in some way, but i was obviously wrong. What can I do to help it?

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #1,480 of 2,720

Quote:
Some progress in the case, maybe? I hooked up my old cheap Philips headphones and they produce silent to none buzzing when connected to the amp. Volume needs to be turned way up to achieve the same sound volume as with Shure, so I guess there is big difference in impedance between these two. This might also be the reason why the Shures are such a good WiFi signal receiver :)  I thought headphones at this level would be shielded in some way, but i was obviously wrong. What can I do to help it?

I'm actually a little annoyed as well about not being able to have my mobile phone in proximity to my Indeed G2 amp. I also just want the look of the amp to match the rest of my gear so yesterday I ordered a small Hammond case (1455N1202BK - almost the right size!) and grabbed these from a Chinese supplier:

The tube will go on top of the case; power switch, DC socket and RCAs will be mounted on the back panel, I hope by using the case as heatsink for the LM's (insulated) I'll be able to get away with just a few ventilation holes for the mosfets. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,482 of 2,720
Quote:
funny thing is that I observed no interference with cellphone, even when it's few centimeters from the amp and phone call is going on.

GSM or CDMA?  I've heard GSM phones are the worse offenders.  Drives me nuts.  Happens with a lot of audio devices (general devices [that produce audio] included).  Wifi causes this as well but you have to be a lot closer to the source of the interference or have a powerful source of interference.  Other then a balanced setup end to end, better shielded cables or interference rejecting cables and shielded devices is the only real solution other than living with it.  Still there is only so much you can do other than shutting it off or putting it into airplane mode. 

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,483 of 2,720

Quote:
GSM or CDMA?  I've heard GSM phones are the worse offenders.  Drives me nuts.  Happens with a lot of audio devices (general devices [that produce audio] included).  Wifi causes this as well but you have to be a lot closer to the source of the interference or have a powerful source of interference.  Other then a balanced setup end to end, better shielded cables or interference rejecting cables and shielded devices is the only real solution other than living with it.  Still there is only so much you can do other than shutting it off or putting it into airplane mode. 

It's GSM phone, and as I said, it makes no interference at all. It's the large WiFi/GSM router on building next door that I suspect to be responsible.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #1,485 of 2,720
Quote:

It's GSM phone, and as I said, it makes no interference at all. It's the large WiFi/GSM router on building next door that I suspect to be responsible.

If it's constant chirping like sound it's wifi.  GSM is short burst when you get a message, phone call, or when it checks with the tower every 15-30mins or so [And when you turn your phone on or off].  If it's a cell phone transmitter it'll probably be transmitting constantly, never been close enough to one to have issues.  Can you not move away or file a complant about this annoyance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back