Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jan 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,411 of 2,720

Quote:
Quote:
Ipod, or macbook.
I assume that both of these have DACs in them, but an external DAC is proverbially 'better'?

Yes, of course they have DACs in them. Ok the basic test of whether something has a DAC is: with just the device and your headphones or speakers, can you play music files? If so, then it definitely has a DAC (well, and an amp).

External DACs are reputed to be better. I don't know for sure, but that's not my decision to make. I would, however, like to warn you that bypassing the DAC on an iPod is trickier than a MacBook, but that discussion can be found in a number of other threads on Head-Fi.

The short of it is: try using the amp with the iPod or MacBook first, before you decide to add any other components to the chain.

Great, thanks for the info!

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,412 of 2,720
You just agreed with me, a DAC is a source.

Quote:
Quote:
A DAC IS a source...

That's not true. Most sources (iPods, CD players) do have DACs inside them, but a source is the device that reads the data. 
Sources that only read but don't convert digital data into analogue signals are transports. For example, this can be a CD player without a DAC, or it can be a laptop connected to an external DAC, bypassing the laptops internal one.

Quote:
Is it necessary to have a DAC between your source and this amp?

For digital files, a DAC is always necessary. An amp is also always necessary. In sequence, here's what's happening every time you want to play music in a digital format (e.g.: a MP3 file):
  • The file needs to be read
  • The file needs to be converted from a digital to an analogue signal
  • The analogue signal needs to be amplified for your earphones/speakers

As I said, most sources have DACs inside them. So the most accurate way to answer your question, is if you tell us what your source is?

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,413 of 2,720
Avro_Arrow: no, I didn't. I said a source reads, and in many sources today, sources have DACs inside them as well. That's like saying many business shoes are black, but not all black shoes are business shoes. 
Analogies aside, please name me a DAC that can play a digital music file. Similarly, explain to me how a transport is not a source. This is a CD transport: http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=823
It is a source, is it not? How is it a DAC?

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,415 of 2,720
Ok did a lot of research and after talking with the guys on Rock Grotto, I have ordered my mod list prior to my bravo V2 showing up :)

The mods are as follows and all available at mouser for a small amount of coin. I did not go for any fancy caps as they were out of stock, but these will do fine and are of appropriate value from rock grott's member Solder Dude which seems pretty spot on with his knowledge and modifications...

1qty 4700uF
647-UVZ1V472MHD

2qty IRL530PBF
844-IRL530PBF

2qty 2200uF caps
647-UVY1E222MHD

2qty 1/4" SQ 5K Trimpot
652-3362P-1-502TLF

Another recommended mod was to remove the two caps just above the volume knob and run jumpers without caps instead!

Here is the actual post with the good mod info...
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=m&action=display&thread=5297&page=1

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #1,416 of 2,720
awesome.  i might have to copy you.  are you going to try a different tube as well?

when did you order yours?

Quote:
Ok did a lot of research and after talking with the guys on Rock Grotto, I have ordered my mod list prior to my bravo V2 showing up :)

The mods are as follows and all available at mouser for a small amount of coin. I did not go for any fancy caps as they were out of stock, but these will do fine and are of appropriate value from rock grott's member Solder Dude which seems pretty spot on with his knowledge and modifications...

1qty 4700uF
647-UVZ1V472MHD

2qty IRL530PBF
844-IRL530PBF

2qty 2200uF caps
647-UVY1E222MHD

2qty 1/4" SQ 5K Trimpot
652-3362P-1-502TLF

Another recommended mod was to remove the two caps just above the volume knob and run jumpers without caps instead!

Here is the actual post with the good mod info...
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=m&action=display&thread=5297&page=1

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #1,419 of 2,720
A bit teaser... did some of the rockgrotto's mods
rolleyes.gif

Still waiting for some IRF510s, and Bourns 3386 5K trimpots...

sorry for bad quality pic though
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #1,420 of 2,720

Quote:
A bit teaser... did some of the rockgrotto's mods
rolleyes.gif

Still waiting for some IRF510s, and Bourns 3386 5K trimpots...

sorry for bad quality pic though
frown.gif

Nice! I'm waiting for my parts to do the final and most difficult mod, a separate heater power circuit.
The thing's either going to sound amazing or be ready for the trash. 
As per usual I shall plug it in outside first, until it is reasonably established that it's not going to set my house alight :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,421 of 2,720
Well I just bought one on Ebay. They won't ship it until after Chinese New Year though. 

So, I got this as my first mod project. Ideally, it would make my HD580 sing tubey magic to me. If it won't, than that's alright too since I'm actually not expecting much. Anyone got some easy advice for a total DIY-noob to increase the potential of this little gadget? I'm in The Netherlands before everyone goes "get capacitor X from this American store, get cap Y from..." etc. I don't even know what a capacitor is. I'm a quick learner though. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,422 of 2,720
How do you replace the mofset with the IRF510? It looks like it would just pop right in/out after taking out the screw but is any soldering or special tools needed? Also where's a good place to get a IRF510? 

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,423 of 2,720
Yes, you have to desolder the old one and solder in the new one.
As for "special tools", all you need is a soldering iron and some
desoldering braid or maybe a solder solder sucker and a bit of solder.

As for a "good place", that depends on where you are...

Quote:
How do you replace the mofset with the IRF510? It looks like it would just pop right in/out after taking out the screw but is any soldering or special tools needed? Also where's a good place to get a IRF510? 

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,425 of 2,720
I've read through most of these pages at one point or another and don't remember if anyone has dealt with upgrading the volume knob. I remember reading about issues regarding it and commenting about it, but it has really started to bug me. Its less an issue via MP3 player where I can adjust things with the players volume more, but listening to vinyl, I have volume balance issues and just plain noise if I don't get the pot to the right place.

Is there a cheap, easy to install upgrade to replace the volume pot with something better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back