Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Oct 14, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #1,201 of 2,720
Probably, a bad on/off switch, mine has the same problem. Poor quality control, contact the seller and he will send you a bunch of switches, but you will have to remove the old one and install the new one. These little amps do put out a lot of volume and make an interesting desk item. They look cool, especially under dim lighting.

Quote:
My Bravo V2 has arrived now. I unboxed it, pluggd in and the red is always lighting. Why is that?!

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #1,202 of 2,720
Just got my Bravo V2 today. Obviously, I haven't been running it very long but I'm liking it as a dedicated desktop amp between my Playstation 1 CD player (SCPH-5501) and my ATH-M50s! Can't wait to see how it sounds after it's had time to burn in!
L3000.gif

Pics below.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,203 of 2,720
Alright guys, ive had a bravo v3 since july and i love it. today it started making a strange noise. Every few seconds it makes a noise which sort of sounds like "zzzf". its relay anoyng, sounds like an insect or some thing. any idea what could be causing it? 

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,204 of 2,720

Quote:

I have just completed revamping my Bravo V2 with almost completely new components :
(In the order of sound improvements, for my own taste, of course......)

8. The two small 1uF caps to Silmic caps (are those the coupling caps?) couldn't find WIMA caps....unfortunately....

It would be worth replacing the 2 input caps with non polarised MKT ones (should be able to find 1uF that are small enough to fit) - as there is not a large voltage difference for electrolytic caps to function as well as they can

Also try doing the crosstalk mod, and play around with the output resistor.. anywhere from 10r to 120r+, has subtle sound differences

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #1,205 of 2,720

Quote:
It would be worth replacing the 2 input caps with non polarised MKT ones (should be able to find 1uF that are small enough to fit) - as there is not a large voltage difference for electrolytic caps to function as well as they can

Also try doing the crosstalk mod, and play around with the output resistor.. anywhere from 10r to 120r+, has subtle sound differences

Well, yes, I may try, but I probably will buy another one, as you all know, the PCB is so fragile, I fear that if I am doing
all the soldering de-soldering, everything will come off in time.

I am happy with the 68R output resistor at the moment, as for the non-polarised caps, I just couldn't get hold of them unless
I buy them in bulk in the UK, which means, 10 or 20..... I decided that I am not going to splash out 20pounds just to get them after all.

But the change to better quality resistors does indeed reduce the background hiss a lot. It may not be a problem for the Indeed amps,
but for the Bravos, the resistors are just crap.....

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #1,207 of 2,720
Man after my own heart. I've been running a Little Dot mk III at my office as a pre from my PS 1.

My Bravo V2 is at home doing headphone duty but I've been thinking about switching things up.

Please report more once you have a little time in.

s.

Quote:
Just got my Bravo V2 today. Obviously, I haven't been running it very long but I'm liking it as a dedicated desktop amp between my Playstation 1 CD player (SCPH-5501) and my ATH-M50s! Can't wait to see how it sounds after it's had time to burn in!
L3000.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #1,209 of 2,720
Good question swbf2cheater, something I wondered about myself.

Is it the cheap stock 12AU7 tube or just regular tube characteristics that the highs seem really really rolled off? For now it seems like the headphone jack in my laptop can deliver crisper highs than the headphone jack through the Indeed G2. That's funny because initially the G2 sounded sharper, now after two weeks of listening it's a tad muddy, to be honest. Should get me some Amperex Bugleboy tubes, but shipping cost to Finland is a tad high usually (then again the govt might not be sponsoring my job training place so the tubes are the last thing I should be worried about).

Okay the condolences about my wallet were spot on, damn my fetish for buying all sorts of crap.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #1,212 of 2,720
I have bought several 12AU7A tubes and here is my conclusions using Sennheiser HD595 (in the order I got them):

1. Mullard Webcor tube: Is the most expensive tube purchased (paid 25USD for it) and is really not my favorite. Too muddy, not good soundstage and have some hiss when I approach my hand to raise or lower the volume 
mad.gif

2. RCA BlackPlates tube: Paid 9.99USD for it and has the best soundstage. Pity it has a little volume imbalance in the left channel so I have to use software volume to balance the channels
frown.gif

3. RCA ClearTop: Paid 7.95USD for it and has the best balance of all. Very good yet not fatiguing highs, detailed midrange and deep bass.

4. Amperex Bugle Boy: Should arrive tomorrow 
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #1,213 of 2,720
I agree, the Mullard that I've got is (was) slight muddy when compared to the other tubes that I've got. Even the stock Chinese 12AU7 tube sounded a bit cleaner with less hiss.
The tube that suits my taste most is the Siemens Chrome plate. The bargain tubes that I've got are the Baldwin/Sylvania tubes, I think I paid less than USD25 for 4of them.
3 out of 4 are very balanced, and they sound very warm and very quiet indeed.

But after playing about with the bias settings and upgrading some of the components of my Bravo, I found that the Mullard actually doesn't sound too bad when
you set the correct voltage. You may want to try fiddling your amp a bit.

Quote:
I have bought several 12AU7A tubes and here is my conclusions using Sennheiser HD595 (in the order I got them):

1. Mullard Webcor tube: Is the most expensive tube purchased (paid 25USD for it) and is really not my favorite. Too muddy, not good soundstage and have some hiss when I approach my hand to raise or lower the volume 
mad.gif

2. RCA BlackPlates tube: Paid 9.99USD for it and has the best soundstage. Pity it has a little volume imbalance in the left channel so I have to use software volume to balance the channels
frown.gif

3. RCA ClearTop: Paid 7.95USD for it and has the best balance of all. Very good yet not fatiguing highs, detailed midrange and deep bass.

4. Amperex Bugle Boy: Should arrive tomorrow 
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #1,215 of 2,720
Well, I offered an eBay seller $17 for a pair of RCA BlackPlates and they accepted. The seller is nearby so I should receive them soon. Looking forward to testing them in my Bravo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back