Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Dec 22, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #196 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my eagerness to get this amp has kinda died out now after waiting for a month.
frown.gif

Just to add another data point. Bravo indicated mine was shipped on Nov 29, so a bit over 3 weeks and it still hasn't arrived to Vancouver, Canada.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #197 of 2,720
Oh so I have company !
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully it is as they have said - holiday rush and hopefully we both will get it in a few days.

Also I dont think that customs will clear the amp quickly seeing how the amp looks a lot like a bomb with its open design showing wires and stuff !
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #198 of 2,720
Mine just arrived! Was shipped November 26th, picked it up 20 minutes ago. The amp is very tiny but looks nice with the blue LED lighting the tube.

I just connected my ipod to it via the LOD and had a quick listen with my Grundig magnetostats. I never heard those headphones sound so good, so this is promising. My DT770s will be back later tonight (wife borrowed them), and my AKG K701s should arrive some time between christmas and new year.

I'll post my initial impressions in a few days, as I suspect the tube and possibly other components will need some burn-in before the sound signature is settled.

It truly is the season to be jolly
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #199 of 2,720
^^ Oh its good to know you have received it already.
smily_headphones1.gif

A nice Christmas present and it seems you are getting a better New Years present as well (K701)
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to know you like it. Do let us know of your impressions after you have burned in the amp for 10 - 15 hours.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #200 of 2,720
Quote:

Originally Posted by tlau1125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add another data point. Bravo indicated mine was shipped on Nov 29, so a bit over 3 weeks and it still hasn't arrived to Vancouver, Canada.

Just received it today. It is smaller than I thought and quite cute. It is now connected to the tape out of my integrated amp (which does not have a headphone out) and the ms1i.

Surprisingly I find the sound a bit edgy. Perhaps it needs some breaking-in?

The second issue is with gain. Perhaps the ms1i is very efficient, or I tend to listen at low volume. By the time I turn the volume knob out of the "non-linear" area (that is, the area where the left-right balance changes) it is already too loud for me. Is there some way to reduce the gain so that I can use the more "linear" part of of the volume knob at my desired listening volume?

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #202 of 2,720
I got mine in a little over a week. Don't know what to tell you guys.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #203 of 2,720
Quote:

Just received it today. It is smaller than I thought and quite cute. It is now connected to the tape out of my integrated amp (which does not have a headphone out) and the ms1i.

Surprisingly I find the sound a bit edgy. Perhaps it needs some breaking-in?

The second issue is with gain. Perhaps the ms1i is very efficient, or I tend to listen at low volume. By the time I turn the volume knob out of the "non-linear" area (that is, the area where the left-right balance changes) it is already too loud for me. Is there some way to reduce the gain so that I can use the more "linear" part of of the volume knob at my desired listening volume?

Thanks!

Great now I am the only one left to get the darn amp.
frown.gif

But its surprising that it is sounding 'edgy'. From what I have read, this amp (on stock tubes) is rather mellow on treble leading to a smooth laid back sound.

Perhaps a 10 hour burn-in will smooth en out the sound so that you can enjoy the amp.
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #204 of 2,720
Quote:

frown.gif

But its surprising that it is sounding 'edgy'. From what I have read, this amp (on stock tubes) is rather mellow on treble leading to a smooth laid back sound.

Perhaps a 10 hour burn-in will smooth en out the sound so that you can enjoy the amp.
smile.gif

it does get better with burn in, so far i found an 1970s amperex bugle boy 6dj8 that im happy with. and refuse to keep spending money in tubes as that seems like a just digging a ditch with all the options, i tried two different brands and think this old tube sounds alot better then the newer tube that i bought.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #205 of 2,720
Quote:

frown.gif

smile.gif

I'm waiting. It was only posted on the 23rd of December so hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #206 of 2,720
Quote:

frown.gif

Don't worry, You are not alone.
smily_headphones1.gif
My was shipped 25th November and still not here.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #207 of 2,720
I ponied up and ordered one 2 days ago, I'll give it a month before I start worrying though.

Hopefully it will mate nicely with a MF V-DAC and flac source out of my computer,

Can wait, but hopefully it comes soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #208 of 2,720
Quote:

The second issue is with gain. Perhaps the ms1i is very efficient, or I tend to listen at low volume. By the time I turn the volume knob out of the "non-linear" area (that is, the area where the left-right balance changes) it is already too loud for me.

So, I have an unused cassette deck at home (for the mp3 generation, this one records and plays cassette tapes
regular_smile .gif
). I put the tape deck between my integrated amp and the Bravo headphone amp and use the tape deck's record level control as an extra attenuator. Now I can turn Bravo's volume control beyond the "non-linear" section and still have comfortable volume. SQ will suffer slightly I guess but I'll take this over channel imbalance any day.

Before today, I totally forgot about this unused tape deck and that it also has a headphone out! It'll be interesting to hear if there are differences between the tape deck headphone out and Bravo's.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #209 of 2,720
I ordered one a week ago and started buying tubes. I am new to the world of tubes. This should be a good way to start enjoying experimenting with tubes. So far, I picked up a couple of Telefunken/Seimens PCC88 and an Amperex 6922 PQ Orange label. I have a MB Quart QP85 to be paired with this amp. I hope this setup will sound good. It would be great if everyone lists their experiences with the tubes they tried.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #210 of 2,720
Quote:

So, I have an unused cassette deck at home (for the mp3 generation, this one records and plays cassette tapes
regular_smile .gif
). I put the tape deck between my integrated amp and the Bravo headphone amp and use the tape deck's record level control as an extra attenuator. Now I can turn Bravo's volume control beyond the "non-linear" section and still have comfortable volume. SQ will suffer slightly I guess but I'll take this over channel imbalance any day.

Before today, I totally forgot about this unused tape deck and that it also has a headphone out! It'll be interesting to hear if there are differences between the tape deck headphone out and Bravo's.

It sounds like you have a bad component. If one channel gets louder something is wrong. Are you kidding about putting an old tape deck in series?
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back