Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,562 of 2,720
Quote:
Tube won't matter that much with this amp unmodified. You should first make it better by at least changing the output FETs for better treble, the old FETs rolled the frequency at 10KHz.

That's not true.  My amp isn't modified and a better quality tube than the 6N11 make a noticeable difference.  Just because the frequency is rolled off at 10kHz doesn't mean a tube cannot improve the sound and change a bit of the sound signature.  I would recommend changing the tube first as it's a cheap and easy to replace item on the amp.  So what if it rolls off at 10kHz not everyone can hear to 20kHz anyway.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,563 of 2,720
I didn't say it won't matter at all. It will of course make a different but not worth the money. A good 6N11 in my country will cost me 30-40 euro, same price as the amp.

Quote:

That's not true.  My amp isn't modified and a better quality tube than the 6N11 make a noticeable difference.  Just because the frequency is rolled off at 10kHz doesn't mean a tube cannot improve the sound and change a bit of the sound signature.  I would recommend changing the tube first as it's a cheap and easy to replace item on the amp.  So what if it rolls off at 10kHz not everyone can hear to 20kHz anyway.

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,564 of 2,720
Quote:
I didn't say it won't matter at all. It will of course make a different but not worth the money. A good 6N11 in my country will cost me 30-40 euro, same price as the amp.

In North America tubes are a lot cheaper.  You can get good ECC88, E88CC, and 6DJ8's for under half the cost of the amp or more (depending on where you look for your tubes, the brand, and where and when they were made by who).  [And stay away from tubes labeled 6N11 on the tube, or Russian equivalents [unless you've done your research] (most are not worth wild (sound wise), and some even have different pinouts)].

If you don't live in Europe or any other place where where you are being overcharged for everything, it's cost effective.

swbf2cheater doesn't have a tube and will require one, might as well make it a quality one.  Early in this thread I think there was lot of talk about good tubes (pre-page 70ish), JAN Sylvania, JAN Philips, Siemens, and a list of others [research where they where made before you buy.  There was a lot of relabeling at that time.  Even if it's a relabeled as one of the above brands (by the above companies but where made somewhere other than the above ones where made it doesn't mean they are bad, just a little different. Quality relabeled tubes still would be better than the Chinese 6N11)].

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,566 of 2,720
Not sure how a Raytheon ECC88 sounds.  Never heard anyone who has tried one.  If it's been tested and it's still with in spec and at a good price worth a shot if you feel like it.  Raytheon is a good name.

Personally I'd go for one of these sales:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Amperex-made-6DJ8-ECC88-Globe-close-match-tubes-/130503757698?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e62a14f82#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Amperex-made-6DJ8-ECC88-Globe-close-match-tubes-/220762909490?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item33667eab32#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/Matched-Quad-Amperex-6DJ8-ECC88-Holland-/320679475461?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aa9fc7905#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Tubes-6DJ8-ECC88-Sylvania-JAN-/350428185863?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item519725c507#ht_720wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/3x-SYLVANIA-6922-6DJ8-AUDIO-TUBES-GREEN-LABLE-/290553094056?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43a6505fa8#ht_616wt_1139

Amperex makes some good tubes.  Description of the sound: "Warm, vibrant, lively, grainless, transparent" "large soundstage & with ambience"

I couldn't find the description for the Sylvania sound, but a lot of people would say it's one of the better bang for the buck for 6DJ8's tube at it's price.  You probably can find a description here or elsewhere online.  I think those are the Sylvania JAN (USA).

Those are the only tubes I found for a cheap price that wasn't the German RCA (anyone know what these where before they where rebranded RCA)? At the moment on eBay.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,567 of 2,720
hey thanks for all that info

I did already purchase the Raytheon Ecc88 but if you feel the Amperex is better, odds are strong I'll pick that up as well.  Thankfully they are all relatively cheap heh

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,568 of 2,720
The Sylvania's were one of the ones I was debating when I was picking tubes.  I'm sure the Amperex are as good as people say but I don't like warm sound as much as others do (maybe you do that's why I brought them up.  I other then being warm it's description appeals to me (and maybe you)).  I happened to be the winning bidder of 2 Siemens ECC88's in my tube search and I was happy enough with the sound I didn't get anymore tubes after them.  You can do some tube rolling, to see which one you like the best and sell the rest or maybe you'll find you enjoy the sound of the Raytheon and decide you're happy as is.

Yah that's the good thing, there is a good number of good ones for relatively cheap.  Then there is some highly desirable ECC88 tubes that go for $140-$200 (but doesn't take more than $5-$25 to beat the 6N11 that comes with the amp if you go with a good one made in America or Europe).

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #1,570 of 2,720
Ok, so I just got my amp and I'm going to break it in in just a few minutes.. I do wonder if I got my tube inserted the correct way, It seems very loose, I'd guess half an inch of the "pins" are showing above the tube socket and some of the pics I've seen on the eBay listing has them almost level to the socket. Is that how they should be?
Because they take quite alot force to get down lower than this.

Cheers

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,571 of 2,720

Quote:
Ok, so I just got my amp and I'm going to break it in in just a few minutes.. I do wonder if I got my tube inserted the correct way, It seems very loose, I'd guess half an inch of the "pins" are showing above the tube socket and some of the pics I've seen on the eBay listing has them almost level to the socket. Is that how they should be?
Because they take quite alot force to get down lower than this.

Cheers

The tube bottom should be at the tube socket. The pins should not be above the socket. The tube has nine pins with a larger space between pins 1 and 9, which matches up with the same space on the socket. If you have the pins in the holes and it lined up as I mentioned, you should be able to push the tube into place. Do you have an image?

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #1,572 of 2,720

Quote:
The tube bottom should be at the tube socket. The pins should not be above the socket. The tube has nine pins with a larger space between pins 1 and 9, which matches up with the same space on the socket. If you have the pins in the holes and it lined up as I mentioned, you should be able to push the tube into place. Do you have an image?

Yup:

edit: Definately not right as it will move when I'm moving the amp. Will try to re-seat it once again.
edit: didn't work too well, just won't go down the whole way, not too sure if any of the pins may be crooked causing this..

edit2: Fixt with a pair o' pliers and it def. helped getting some pressure under it using a better workspace

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,573 of 2,720
Got the little Valve amp a week ago, been listening to it since. In comparison with the little Fiio E5 I have, I prefer the sound of the Fiio E5 but just experimenting and just plonking both of them together sounds great, good enough for me despite the cables everywhere. Love the glow and the burning hot sides, but I had some crackling sound trouble from the amp but after speaking to Bravodeal (the most genuine looking account out of all the ebay ones) they offered to ship another straight away. They have rather good customer service :p So with all this loose tube things, I'm sure if you contact them they'll be more than happy to sort it out :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back