Jun 2, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #6,301 of 6,668
  what is an upgrade over ak100ii?

ak380cu 
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #6,304 of 6,668
im considering questyle qp1r and opus 1 as an ak100ii upgrade. pls advise
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #6,305 of 6,668
Good afternoon. Quick question, should I go with Astell & Kern AK 100II or Sony NW-ZX2? And why would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #6,306 of 6,668
Which amp works best with ak100ii? Cayin C5 + Ak100ii anyone

I own this combo and stack it together with 3m velcro. Still small enough I can carry it around (uneasily, the connector 3.5 to 3.5 sometimes just wont stay in C5 properly if its in my pocket) . I use it for everything but IEM's and it sounds great.

The best improvement came with my AKG702's. I was about to sell the headphones because I didn't really like them, until I plugged them into this combo and it just has a fuller richer sound, I feel like it really brings the instruments on the edge of the soundstage out. The next headphone I use it with is Denon mm400, which just gives it a nicer sound. Its hit or miss if I bring the C5 with me for these. Sometimes for portability I leave the c5 at home and Im still very happy. I also use it with my grado 325i's. Guitars and electronic music sound absolutely unbelievable with this combo, but I do get fatigued pretty quickly. Cant comment on if the C5 makes it worse or not because I dont use these headphones without it. I also own the FLC8s hybrid IEM. I do not like the alteration to the sound the C5 adds. I much prefer plugging straight into the AK. There is no hiss, and I cant quiet place why I dont like the combo, just dont.

I also line in this combo into my 2013 Rav4 SUV, and the C5 really widens the soundstage and sounds phenomenal. Forget replacing the deck, this combo is absolutely killer if your not a basshead.

I only currently own the ak100ii DAP, so I dont know if I dislike the bass boost of the C5, or just the synergy, but I never use the bass boost function, or even the high gain. Never found a use for either.

I should also note this is the only Amp I have ever owned, but I consider it an essential add on for my Ak100ii.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #6,307 of 6,668
Good afternoon. Quick question, should I go with Astell & Kern AK 100II or Sony NW-ZX2? And why would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Have the AK, had the Sony.

If you want all the details, and the words dry and neutral excite you, go AK.

If you want a warmer, smoother, and less exciting sound, go Sony.

Mojo kills them both because it is detailed yet fun.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #6,308 of 6,668
  im considering questyle qp1r and opus 1 as an ak100ii upgrade. pls advise
tongue_smile.gif

QP1R yes in SQ, and loads of power. But a step down in UI. Bcos yes. Dat clickwheel.

LP5 Pro is similar in the sense that it has loads of power but no balanced out. I heard it's a smoother and more "musical" compared to QP1R.

I also think the Onkyo DP-X1 is an upgrade. Very good value. Balanced out and streaming too. But again, a smaller step down in UI.

Sorry never heard of the Opus.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #6,309 of 6,668
Have the AK, had the Sony.

If you want all the details, and the words dry and neutral excite you, go AK.

If you want a warmer, smoother, and less exciting sound, go Sony.

Mojo kills them both because it is detailed yet fun.

Thank you for the information. How is the bass on the AK? Does it have an equalizer?

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #6,312 of 6,668
  Hi guys,
do you know if Sonos or something like Bose Soundtouch is compatible with AK100II via wifi?

thanks

Not sure but it should work via DLNA with AK Connect.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #6,313 of 6,668
Hi, anyone know the supported max sample rate of the optical line out of the AK100ii?

My external Mytek Brooklyn DAC seems to not want to play with it above 176.6kHZ, I cant find a spec online (for the AK) , wondered if the Hugo/Mojo folks had a different experience ?
The DAC itself supports up to 192K on optical. I did write to AK Support ...still waiting for a reply.

I'm assuming USB isn't an option

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #6,314 of 6,668
  Hi, anyone know the supported max sample rate of the optical line out of the AK100ii?

My external Mytek Brooklyn DAC seems to not want to play with it above 176.6kHZ, I cant find a spec online (for the AK) , wondered if the Hugo/Mojo folks had a different experience ?
The DAC itself supports up to 192K on optical. I did write to AK Support ...still waiting for a reply.

I'm assuming USB isn't an option

I can play 24/192 files using AK100ii as a source via optical connection to external DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back