Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Nov 22, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #5,116 of 6,668
Nov 22, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #5,117 of 6,668
I kinda like them.  My eyes are getting close to/are ready for needing new lenses (amazing, a 15-minute outpatient procedure) so the big buttons are actually nice for an old codger like me.  And my player is in a pouch while I walk, so album art really isn't an issue.  

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #5,118 of 6,668
The button's sizes are fine, just that a customization feature could be added so unused buttons do not have to populate the home page even if one never ever use them. The UI is based on Android, app icons can be removed on the home screen for Android, it should not be such a hard thing to implement. 

I have pasted my previous feedback to Alex's Facebook post where he announced the AK100ii & 120ii 1.28 firmware update, let's see if I can get anything.

BTW AK320 is being announced tomorrow lol.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #5,119 of 6,668
The US market is clearly treated as an afterthought by iRiver, which is rather unfortunate IMO, but it's their company.

I hear you olddude about tailoring their products to their primary markets, but I can't think of any reason the small improvements we've been discussing would be looked on differently depending on what part of the world you're in.  I'm sure it's just a routine matter of them having their own list of priorities on what to work on, and incremental improvements to usability just aren't on the list for now.

FWIW I don't think anyone here on head-fi has ever gotten a response from sending an email to support.  Use the USA contact phone numbers instead.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #5,120 of 6,668
Well, a list of priorities is probably determined by the market.  That was my point with my reference to Fiio, which I KNOW was aiming at China because of total number of sales there vs. the US or other Western countries.  Again, I can't speak to A&K as I've never seen any statements from it re what market(s) is/are primary for it.  But if the primary market is happy with big buttons, say, I don't see any reason why A&K would change the buttons for (as an example) the Western market.  

Couldn't hurt to contact the US office.  I'm sure if enough people did it might mention the issue(s) to the home office.  

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #5,122 of 6,668
Does anyone know what the Equalizer slides are set to for the AKT5p preset?

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #5,123 of 6,668
Nov 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #5,124 of 6,668
Does anyone know what the Equalizer slides are set to for the AKT5p preset?

The way that EQ expands the soundstage on some of my `phones, I`m convinced there`s something more than just frequency-band adjustment going on.  Maybe I`m becoming a conspiracy theorist.  Anyway, whatever is happening, I like it ! 

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #5,125 of 6,668
If you switch back and forth between the AKT5p and a custom EQ were all the sliders are flat across, there's almost no difference. So maybe it's just the extra juice you have to pump out to get the same listening level after the volume drop that comes from simply turning on EQ...?

However, there's a big change with the Pro setting, though I don't especially like it. That one fiddles with the sliders too much.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #5,126 of 6,668
AK320 has been officially announced... the price is about $1700 USD in South Korea... not sure how in the world I'm not getting this ROFL
evil_smiley.gif
(My wallet is hiding somehwere but I will hunt it down!)

*with the usual 15% discount at most dealers here... this is going to be a nice upgrade to the AK100ii at a nice price point. I wonder what that AK Amp will do for the Layla?

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #5,129 of 6,668
Well, if you rip a CD to a single file and include a Cue, the songs will play exactly as they would on the CD (spacing between songs, etc.). So in the folder there would be a single FLAC and a Cue.   I rip to individual tracks and include custom spacing, so have no need of a Cue.  Others may do it differently.  

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #5,130 of 6,668
  Well, if you rip a CD to a single file and include a Cue, the songs will play exactly as they would on the CD (spacing between songs, etc.). So in the folder there would be a single FLAC and a Cue.   I rip to individual tracks and include custom spacing, so have no need of a Cue.  Others may do it differently.  

Thanks for the explanation. That make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back