Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #4,998 of 6,668
This is a Facebook post a while back by Alex An, a marketing manager at AK: 

So, does this mean my Motorola Nexus 6 Turbo Charger cannot be used to charge the AK120ii? 

I have actually used this to charge the 120ii for around three months before Alex posted the Facebook warning. The 120ii charges very fast (just like the Nexus 6 this charger was designed for) but gets quite hot. Some comments following the Facebook post have said that if the device it is charging does not even support adaptive turbo charging, it will never engage the 9V higher outputs on the power supply, so the AK will still just use the 5V and be safe. Does anyone know which is true? Am I frying all the circuitry and doing irreparable damage to my AK?  

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #5,001 of 6,668
Do I read correctly?

I see "Output Turbo 1 - 9V"
"Turbo 2 - 12V"

It is silly to use that kind of charger with a device accepting only 5V input.
Perhaps the charger is clever enough to detect that the device is "turbo compliant" but I would not bet on that.
Better safe that sorry, it applies there.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #5,002 of 6,668
I don't know what makes AK give that statement, since quick charging should only works with Qualcomm chip that supports quick charging, other than that it would be just same as regular charging.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,003 of 6,668

I have actually used this to charge the 120ii for around three months before Alex posted the Facebook warning. The 120ii charges very fast (just like the Nexus 6 this charger was designed for) but gets quite hot. Some comments following the Facebook post have said that if the device it is charging does not even support adaptive turbo charging, it will never engage the 9V higher outputs on the power supply, so the AK will still just use the 5V and be safe. Does anyone know which is true? Am I frying all the circuitry and doing irreparable damage to my AK?  

i would still continue to use it as the charger has adaptive output and should be smart enough to detect if the device connected to it supports turbo charging. your 120ii should be fine.

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,004 of 6,668
  Do I read correctly?

I see "Output Turbo 1 - 9V"
"Turbo 2 - 12V"

It is silly to use that kind of charger with a device accepting only 5V input.
Perhaps the charger is clever enough to detect that the device is "turbo compliant" but I would not bet on that.
Better safe that sorry, it applies there.

Agreed with you. Whenever your AK gets really warm or even hot after and during charging, its not good. I would rather keep 0.5 amp slow charge even though it takes about 8 hours to fully charge.

Nov 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,005 of 6,668
I think if the manufacturer recommends something, there may be a reason. Why does this require any more analysis? As always use what you want to charge, you know what AK says.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #5,006 of 6,668
Hmm the stances are really split even currently, it does get very hot and charges very fast from the adaptive quick charger, the high temperature of the unit makes one ponder whether things are exploding inside, although the battery is drained so fast it is very tempting to just use the adaptive charger instead of wait 8 hours. 

If this was a real serious issue, why wasn't this written in the manual or announced 1.x years ago when the 100II and 120II were first launched, it seems terribly unofficial and delayed to announce important information via the personal Facebook account of an isolated employee after the product has been out on the market for more than a year (where many users will surely have missed). You'd think that at least there would be something more pronounced on official AK channels. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #5,007 of 6,668
I would recommend everyone to not take chances with their battery and err on the side of caution.  Some of you may remember my 120ii battery suddenly got extremely hot while charging, the AK would not start up, and after I disconnected it, it stayed extremely hot for approx. 2 hours (not powered up and not connected to the charging cable) and then went cold, never to regain life again.  AK repaired it under warranty (within 5 working days) but they had to replace a substantial amount of internals, not just the battery.  They weren`t specific, but I got the idea I received back a brand new 120ii in the old case.  

I baby my battery now.  

This is actually a common weakness in a lot of tech devices, and I assume that AK, like other smart-gadget makers, have to rely on various battery providers and various quality-control regimes.  

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #5,008 of 6,668
So the choices are to be careful and do as an AK engineer suggests or to ignore what he says and risk cooking your device.  Hmmmmm.  What to do, what to do?

Personally, I use a 6 plug USB strip that also has a couple of dedicated charging plugs on it that determine how much power is needed to run through to a charging device.  Or I leave it plugged in to my computer.  Even when the device is at half-charge it doesn't take ALL that long to recharge it.  

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #5,009 of 6,668
I use my AK120ii throughout the day, and just use the supplied cable to a USB port on my PC for some overnight charging. Works a treat.

It does take forever to charge, but if you do it while you're sleeping, who cares.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #5,010 of 6,668
USB charging with the 120II is excruciatingly slow, but the unit stays very cool. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back