Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Sep 7, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #4,591 of 6,668
  this stack is so minimal as if the 5tx is not there, and in return you get an amp that rivals anything i had, its miles better than my alo rx mk3B

Interesting. I have the Rx Mk3-B+ myself, and I've found them fantastic at providing greater body and punchier lows to some of my favorite IEMs. As I've never tried a Headstage Arrow before, could you elaborate on your opinion concerning the 2? Thanks! 
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #4,592 of 6,668

Interesting. I have the Rx Mk3-B+ myself, and I've found them fantastic at providing greater body and punchier lows to some of my favorite IEMs. As I've never tried a Headstage Arrow before, could you elaborate on your opinion concerning the 2? Thanks! 
smile.gif

well let me tell you one thing the 5tx is a beast in a tiny package, the bass is something that is so well done that it makes me wonder of how great it is made, you have various settings that you can go from regular bass to basshead dream level, also the treble is amazing as well

you have so many configurations to play with 

the sounstage is amazing

its the best amp i ever got to listen to

mk3 might have a bigger soundstage, but it hisses with shure 846 even at low setting and it has less bass than 5tx, somehow i find the 5tx much more enjoyable to listen to than my mk3

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #4,593 of 6,668
  well let me tell you one thing the 5tx is a beast in a tiny package, the bass is something that is so well done that it makes me wonder of how great it is made, you have various settings that you can go from regular bass to basshead dream level, also the treble is amazing as well

you have so many configurations to play with 

the sounstage is amazing

its the best amp i ever got to listen to

mk3 might have a bigger soundstage, but it hisses with shure 846 even at low setting and it has less bass than 5tx, somehow i find the 5tx much more enjoyable to listen to than my mk3

Yeah, the Mk3-B+ does introduce a lot of hiss. Fortunately, once the music starts playing, its positive qualities shine through and through. It enhances roundness and body, and its bass dial, while mild by basshead standards, does add a palpable boost to mid-bass quantity, increasing punch and improving texture.

Anyway, the Headstage Arrow is an amp that has always piqued my interest. For someone to compare it so favorably to the Rx Mk3-B simply adds to its mystique. Thanks for your opinions!

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #4,594 of 6,668
Has anyone done a side-by-side SQ comparison of the AK100II/AK120II and a current gen iOS device paired with a quality portable dac/amp combo such as the OPPO HA-2 or Headstage Arrow 5tx?

I love the sound quality out of the AK100II paired with my OPPO PM-3 (and even my HE-560 at low-mid volume) but find aspects of the UI layout, UI lag, etc. a bit lacking and frankly frustrating.

With an iPod touch for example, a 3rd party app w/ native FLAC/DSD playback could be used and output to the dac/amp at 24/96 (most of my music is 24/96 or less anyway). Also, for music discovery, etc. Spotify and Tidal would be available right alongside the FLAC player.

Thoughts? As SQ is the most important variable I'd like to hear opinions on the 2x solutions.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #4,595 of 6,668
  Has anyone done a side-by-side SQ comparison of the AK100II/AK120II and a current gen iOS device paired with a quality portable dac/amp combo such as the OPPO HA-2 or Headstage Arrow 5tx?

I love the sound quality out of the AK100II paired with my OPPO PM-3 (and even my HE-560 at low-mid volume) but find aspects of the UI layout, UI lag, etc. a bit lacking and frankly frustrating.

With an iPod touch for example, a 3rd party app w/ native FLAC/DSD playback could be used and output to the dac/amp at 24/96 (most of my music is 24/96 or less anyway). Also, for music discovery, etc. Spotify and Tidal would be available right alongside the FLAC player.

Thoughts? As SQ is the most important variable I'd like to hear opinions on the 2x solutions.

As far as I know the output will always be 16/44.1 from an iOS device

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,597 of 6,668

Yeah, the Mk3-B+ does introduce a lot of hiss. Fortunately, once the music starts playing, its positive qualities shine through and through. It enhances roundness and body, and its bass dial, while mild by basshead standards, does add a palpable boost to mid-bass quantity, increasing punch and improving texture.

Anyway, the Headstage Arrow is an amp that has always piqued my interest. For someone to compare it so favorably to the Rx Mk3-B simply adds to its mystique. Thanks for your opinions!

yeah but pay attention this is only my feedback with iems, while with my audeze lcd2 its not applicable at all, and somehow i find my lcd2s distorts with bass settings, i do not know with other headphones as my lcd2 drove me crazy anyway with most portable amps

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #4,598 of 6,668
  As far as I know the output will always be 16/44.1 from an iOS device

That is incorrect. Third party apps like Onkyo HF can digital-out HI-RES files.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,600 of 6,668
He said digital out, not headphone out. The only limitations to USB out ought to be the DAC you're sending to.

Thats how it is for Android devices, at least. Apple shouldn't be any different.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,601 of 6,668

i did have many ios -- amp/dac configurations

chord hugo-- ios

ifi dsd micro - ios

the above of course are better with full side headphones

but for iems i prefer a single devcie and tiny amp like headstage arrrow 5tx than any ios dac/amp config

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4,602 of 6,668
  but for iems i prefer a single devcie and tiny amp like headstage arrrow 5tx than any ios dac/amp config

I see the 5tx is a dac/amp. Can you let us know, how do you like it as a DAC/AMP combo? 

- USB DAC for PC/MAC/Android
/
iPhone/iPad 
(i
Phone/iPad via Camera Con
nection Kit)

You can stack this with a iPod touch and stil
l have a pocketable stack

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,603 of 6,668

I see the 5tx is a dac/amp. Can you let us know, how do you like it as a DAC/AMP combo? 

- USB DAC for PC/MAC/Android
/
iPhone/iPad 
(i
Phone/iPad via Camera Con
nection Kit)

You can stack this with a iPod touch and stil
l have a pocketable stack

This is kind of what I'm curious to know, does a pocketable stack such as an iPod touch + 5tx (or Oppo HA-2) come close at all to the phenomenal SQ of the AK100II/AK120II DAPs?

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #4,604 of 6,668
So I was thinking of upgrading the AK240 for a while but I decided to just get a new portable DAC/AMP to use with my AK100ii. I figured I'd still need a portable amp if I go to the 240 for full sized cans so the amp was a more appealing option than the 240 alone. I got the RSA Intruder which is also a DAC and I do not regret my decision at all. I really enjoy it with both my headphones, the Ether and the LCD-X and when I get my JH13 back, I'm sure it'll be great with it too. The AK100ii amp wasn't the best so adding this onto the chain was definitely a worth it upgrade. I will continue to use the AK100ii alone though when it comes to my actual portable setup, the AK100ii + JH13 but I am quite pleased that my ideal transportable sound wasn't so far away after all.

I'm just letting you guys know this in case someone is considering the Intruder with the AK100ii. I will be reporting back as to how this fares with a stock AK240 or AK240 + Intruder if there's a noticeable difference. With the Intruder though, there is just so much depth when it comes to layering, instrument separation is also very well done. I guess one big downside is that the Intruder doesn't have some sort of battery indication so I'm not really sure if it's fully charged or low battery. Also add in the fact that it can only charge with its own power cord.

I'm currently waiting for my balanced headphone and interconnect cable as well. I will report back in case the sound improves. I doubt it but who knows.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4,605 of 6,668
Can I use any microUSB cable to charge my Astell & Kern?

I think I recall hearing about some incompatibilities. Is that only for data transfer, or also power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back