Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 30, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #4,516 of 6,668
  Which AK device are you using?  This isn't how it works for me.  The one and only way I can see files from the server are with AK Connect turned on, and through the menu structure I described above.

I could swear it worked that way before, but I can only get it to work in the way you describe now.
I have edited my post accordingly to avoid any further confusion.
The best set up is to leave AK Connect active and turn WiFi on and off as required.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #4,517 of 6,668

Which AK device are you using?  This isn't how it works for me.  The one and only way I can see files from the server are with AK Connect turned on, and through the menu structure I described above.

I could swear it worked that way before, but I can only get it to work in the way you describe now.
I have edited my post accordingly to avoid any further confusion.
The best set up is to leave AK Connect active and turn WiFi on and off as required.

Now if only they would clear up all the silly bugs in it, we'd have something.  After a little bit of experimenting regarding the album track order problem I mentioned, I've discovered that the AK removes track numbers from file names when it downloads them through the server!  So it must also be snipping them off when scanning the original folders on my PC.  I use the common method of starting all file names with track number, and they magically disappear from the downloaded copies.  The track number tag is still there, and also not being used.  That's all so stupid I can't wrap my head around it.  Someone had to actively include code to do that, instead of just leaving the file name alone.  Why?

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #4,518 of 6,668
  Now if only they would clear up all the silly bugs in it, we'd have something.  After a little bit of experimenting regarding the album track order problem I mentioned, I've discovered that the AK removes track numbers from file names when it downloads them through the server!  So it must also be snipping them off when scanning the original folders on my PC.  I use the common method of starting all file names with track number, and they magically disappear from the downloaded copies.  The track number tag is still there, and also not being used.  That's all so stupid I can't wrap my head around it.  Someone had to actively include code to do that, instead of just leaving the file name alone.  Why?

It is the server software that is to blame. It is very much Song rather than Album based and will deliver items file by file acoording to the tag name rather than the file name, ignoring the all important Track No. tag. So whilst the file handling has been very much improved on the player with the new fimware, it is still useless for downloading on a folder basis.

Wouldn't it have been nice if iRiver had provided some documentation with the update? The changes are significant enough to also require a rewrite of the manuals.

Edit: It is better for downloading folders from my NAS as it uses the filename and keeps the folder structure intact, but it leaves the cover art behind
mad.gif

Edit2: You don't need to use AK's MQS Streaming Server now - any DLNA server will be recognised by AK Connect, so you could look for a replacement, which will be a bit better behaved - there's even one built into Windows.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #4,521 of 6,668

It is the server software that is to blame. It is very much Song rather than Album based and will deliver items file by file acoording to the tag name rather than the file name, ignoring the all important Track No. tag. So whilst the file handling has been very much improved on the player with the new fimware, it is still useless for downloading on a folder basis.

Wouldn't it have been nice if iRiver had provided some documentation with the update? The changes are significant enough to also require a rewrite of the manuals.

Edit: It is better for downloading folders from my NAS as it uses the filename and keeps the folder structure intact, but it leaves the cover art behind
mad.gif

Edit2: You don't need to use AK's MQS Streaming Server now - any DLNA server will be recognised by AK Connect, so you could look for a replacement, which will be a bit better behaved - there's even one built into Windows.

Good advice uzi2, I don't have much use to stream music at this point but it's good to know there's an easy alternative.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #4,523 of 6,668
I really hope they would fix that and fast!

I didn't spend 1700$ to have these kind of issues

so was that issue not in the previous firmware ?

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #4,525 of 6,668

I just want to give you a double-thanks for cluing me in to this.  With about five or six clicks on my computer, I've just enabled the DLNA server in JRiver Media Center (which is what I use to manage my library--highly recommended) and it's working great!  It totally blows the AK MSS out of the water.  You were also right that what you see on the device is dependent on whatever the server sends it, so I'm also able to use JMC's excellent browsing structure.  All the file names and track orders are preserved correctly.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,526 of 6,668
Update on Taobao:

Both work perfectly, and the cable is quite a thick gauge silver cable, and incidentally, the 2.5mm connector is a higher quality than the connector that I got from Null Audio in Singapore.

The 2.5mm female jack seems a bit fragile, and the 3.5mm male jack is a bit bent, but working perfectly.

Very high quality build, similar to previous ALO interconnects I have seen. Cable is stiffer than normal, but still flexible enough.

US$11 each! wow!

links:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-10383102313.58.7sODPT&id=40663429058

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.1998246701.2.fVKnOf&scm=1007.10152.7196.0i40663429058&id=44196435966&pvid=1dd44286-a65d-4088-8023-1dc47f026469

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #4,527 of 6,668
  Update on Taobao:

Both work perfectly, and the cable is quite a thick gauge silver cable, and incidentally, the 2.5mm connector is a higher quality than the connector that I got from Null Audio in Singapore.

The 2.5mm female jack seems a bit fragile, and the 3.5mm male jack is a bit bent, but working perfectly.

Very high quality build, similar to previous ALO interconnects I have seen. Cable is stiffer than normal, but still flexible enough.

US$11 each! wow!

Please give me the link
ok thanks

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #4,529 of 6,668
Does anyone remember what the line out volume used to be? The new max volume is terribly distorted

how can you know its distorted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back