Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #4,187 of 6,668
I tried with an LG G3, Sony Z1 Compact - both international versions, it worked flawlessly.
Make sure your device supports USB audio out. Before 4.4 usb audio was a hit and miss with manufacturers.

I have a OnePlus One running CM12/Android 5.0 and it doesn't work. That kinda sucks. Maybe when 5.1 update comes out... It'd be great to listen to Pandora this way.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #4,188 of 6,668
Hi Guys, did you find any information about A&K releasing an app for high res music streaming (e.g. Tidal)?

I tried to google it but couldn't find any good source.

Thanks.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4,191 of 6,668
It's a variable headphone/IEM out, just like the 3.5mm out

If I use the AK 100II 2.5 balanced out with an external portable amp, it means I will have 2 volume controls? One in the AK 100II and one in the portable amp?

Thank you for your help akhyar!!

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,192 of 6,668
I does not own AK100II yet. A good but pricy option.

Anaway, when you switch to line out, you use volume on the amp. At least, it is what I do on my current rig.
Amping balanced out needs balanced amp. Which one do you target? For which headphone that AK100II doesnot drive properly?

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,193 of 6,668
  I does not own AK100II yet. A good but pricy option.

Anaway, when you switch to line out, you use volume on the amp. At least, it is what I do on my current rig.
Amping balanced out needs balanced amp. Which one do you target? For which headphone that AK100II doesnot drive properly?

The AK100II doesnt have a fixed volume line out. The balanced 2.5 out is like the 3.5. I think the volume is always controled by the ak100II.
I love the sound of Ray Samuels SR 71B, so i thought pairing the ak100II with it.
My headphones and IEMs have balanced RSA/ALO terminations because I currently use a Cypherlabs Theorem 720 and use the balanced out.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #4,195 of 6,668
  Hi I have a Pono Player and although I love the sound I can't stand its usability. I am contemplating splurging for an AK100 2 . I just wanted to put it out there, does anyone know how the sound of the Pono and AK par up against each other ? I would be interested to hear opinions if people think it would be a good upgrade sound wise and usability wise.

Hello- I owned a Pono player for 4 months and liked it a lot, great sound easy to use. I sold  the the Pono on Ebay and bought a AK 100II from a fellow headfi-er around April. I like the AK 100II better, the sound of the AK100II is more refined, but the Pono is a tad warmer or musical sounding, the battery life on the AK  100II is much better, also I use my AK 100II with the AK bluetooth remote on my DiamondBox speaker box and when I'm out walking the dogs with headphones. I need a DAP with a remote. Hope that helps. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #4,196 of 6,668
A few nice features I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere 
* When plugging the headphones out of its socket, the music stops (just like in an iPod)
* Also, when plugging out headphones while in line out mode the the volume is back to a normal mode (many times I blew my ears out on the DX90 when forget I have the volume all the way up after using it in my car)
* When in Artists -> Albums, albums are sorted by year
* You can use the player while it's plugged into a computer as a storage 

Hope that will help future buyers

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #4,197 of 6,668
  A few nice features I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere 
* When plugging the headphones out of its socket, the music stops (just like in an iPod)
* Also, when plugging out headphones while in line out mode the the volume is back to a normal mode (many times I blew my ears out on the DX90 when forget I have the volume all the way up after using it in my car)
* When in Artists -> Albums, albums are sorted by year
* You can use the player while it's plugged into a computer as a storage 

Hope that will help future buyers

Albums are sorted by year? I just thought they didn't know how to sort alphabetically. :)

If you're on a Mac, you can't really use it as storage. You're stuck with that hideous, buggy monstrosity called Android File Transfer. If you run that, make sure you save all your files first, because it has an excellent chance of freezing your computer and requiring a restart.

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #4,198 of 6,668
  Noob question, it seems that the only difference between AK100II and AK120II is the single DAC vs dual DAC. So what are the advantages of this? Does it effect the sound quality at all?

I've owned both, and to my ears the dual dac does give the 120II an edge.  It has slightly greater detail, with a slightly lower noise floor.  The difference isn't huge, but it is noticeable.  The dual dac is also supposed to give better performance in balanced mode, but as I don't have any balanced cables to give it a try, I can't attest to it.

The 120II also has double the on-board memory of the 100II, 128GB vs 64GB.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #4,199 of 6,668
I've owned both, and to my ears the dual dac does give the 120II an edge.  It has slightly greater detail, with a slightly lower noise floor.  The difference isn't huge, but it is noticeable.  The dual dac is also supposed to give better performance in unbalanced mode, but as I don't have any unbalanced cables to give it a try, I can't attest to it.

Hi, I think you mean better performance in balanced mode, right?

CJ

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #4,200 of 6,668

I've owned both, and to my ears the dual dac does give the 120II an edge.  It has slightly greater detail, with a slightly lower noise floor.  The difference isn't huge, but it is noticeable.  The dual dac is also supposed to give better performance in unbalanced mode, but as I don't have any unbalanced cables to give it a try, I can't attest to it.

Hi, I think you mean better performance in balanced mode, right?

CJ

D'oh!  Indeed.  I'll edit the original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back