Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 17, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #4,156 of 6,668

THANKS, the termination of my earphone cable (SE846) is already 2,5 mm TRS. so if i want to use the earphone on the 3,5 mm port, i should get adaptor.
But i understand, this adapter is not the correct one to be use.
It would be very strange because of the price (very low).

Does someone have a good plan to get (with link) to get these adaptor : 2,5 mm TRS female to 3,5 mm male ?

Thanks

I bought these 2 weeks back, just to try with HUGO. Like Dopaminer said, AK uses a different layout for the 2.5mm TRRS (2nd picture), R- R+ L+ L- (TRRS). Using this 3.5mm adapter you're grounding the left side of your iem/headphone. That's why we hear only the right side. 

Conventional ->  AK -> 

The solution is to have cable makers make the adapter for you. Norne audio also a ultra short adapter, that is wired correctly.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #4,157 of 6,668
  Why do I have to turn the screen on to be able to use the volume knob when in DAC mode?

There's a lock function which controls whether the volume knob works when the screen is off... if enabled, there will be a lock icon on the top status banner.  To change it, swipe down from the top of the screen to pull up the quick function menu, and tap the lock symbol.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #4,159 of 6,668
  There's a lock function which controls whether the volume knob works when the screen is off... if enabled, there will be a lock icon on the top status banner.  To change it, swipe down from the top of the screen to pull up the quick function menu, and tap the lock symbol.

I have the lock already off, so in normal playback the volume knob works when the screen is off, but when using as a dac, I have to turn the screen on to use the volume knob.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #4,160 of 6,668

I have the lock already off, so in normal playback the volume knob works when the screen is off, but when using as a dac, I have to turn the screen on to use the volume knob.

My 120ii behaves the same as yours.  

Did you notice the EQ still functions in DAC mode?  

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #4,162 of 6,668
  My 120ii behaves the same as yours.  

Did you notice the EQ still functions in DAC mode?  

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

No, I did not. I tried, yes it really does. Gotta be careful not to double-EQ.

It was mentioned in the AK manual that volume knob does not work during DAC operation :frowning2: 

It does work, but only when the screen is on. I think they were confused here. In my opinion, this is a UI design error. In DAC mode I don't need such a locking mechanism as my player is sitting on the table.

Edit: Maybe that's referring to the volume on your computer, that does not work. As a result, the mute button on your keyboard does not work. This is really a trouble when someone is saying something to me at the office. I wish the pause button on the side would mute in DAC mode. I've more than once pressed this button as a reflex.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,163 of 6,668
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted. I am in the market for a nice set of over the ear headphones. All I've ever had were IEMs and wanted to venture into the headphone side of things. I have my AK120II and was wondering what cans pair well with the AK. I listen to just about anything but and like a nice wide soundstage. I am more a neutral listener but do like a little bass added. And the ability to balance the headphones from the 2.5mm jack. Looking in the up to $500 range. Currently I've looked at the HiFiman HE400i and the Philips Fidelio X1. Just curious to what opinions some of you have. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #4,164 of 6,668
I can't speak to the X1 but have the 400i and use it with my 100ii. Wonderful phones. Rich and textured bass with clear hifghs and superb mids. Easily driven from the DAP. Makes me smile every time I use it. Extremely comfortable. No problem wearring for several hours...no fatigue. I highly recommend. Fits into your budget.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,165 of 6,668
I can't speak to the X1 but have the 400i and use it with my 100ii. Wonderful phones. Rich and textured bass with clear hifghs and superb mids. Easily driven from the DAP. Makes me smile every time I use it. Extremely comfortable. No problem wearring for several hours...no fatigue. I highly recommend. Fits into your budget.

Thanks!
That's great to hear. I wasn't sure how well the AK would drive them because I just got away from the amp setups for keeping it more portable and didn't want to go back to amps. Every time I keep looking up cans I keep coming back to the 400i. I think this is what I'm going to head towards, just wanted to get some insight from an owner of the 400i. Thanks again!

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,166 of 6,668
Beauty of the 400i is that you can get a balanced cable for it and drive them even better from the 120ii. I'm in love with these phones....

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #4,167 of 6,668
  Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted. I am in the market for a nice set of over the ear headphones. All I've ever had were IEMs and wanted to venture into the headphone side of things. I have my AK120II and was wondering what cans pair well with the AK. I listen to just about anything but and like a nice wide soundstage. I am more a neutral listener but do like a little bass added. And the ability to balance the headphones from the 2.5mm jack. Looking in the up to $500 range. Currently I've looked at the HiFiman HE400i and the Philips Fidelio X1. Just curious to what opinions some of you have. Thanks!

I can't recommend the HD700 enough and it seems to tick your boxes. It's very efficient, and the 120II drives it very well.  I stay between volume levels 55-60.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #4,168 of 6,668
If anyone is interested in how the new generation FiiO X5ii compares to the AK100ii, here is my review. I also compare the DX90, the old X5 and the iPhone 6. There is even a naked beauty contest between the contestants for your viewing pleasure so be warned when you open the review in public.
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13401

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,169 of 6,668
  If anyone is interested in how the new generation FiiO X5ii compares to the AK100ii, here is my review. I also compare the DX90, the old X5 and the iPhone 6. There is even a naked beauty contest between the contestants for your viewing pleasure so be warned when you open the review in public.
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13401

Nice review.  I am not surprised that you enjoy your AK100II more than both versions of the X5 since it really is a polished product and great sounding product.  I am still curious to see how it sounds even though I found the original X5 to be very fatiguing to listen to.

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4,170 of 6,668
If anyone is interested in how the new generation FiiO X5ii compares to the AK100ii, here is my review. I also compare the DX90, the old X5 and the iPhone 6. There is even a [COLOR=B22222]naked beauty contest[/COLOR] between the contestants for your viewing pleasure so be warned when you open the review in public. :wink_face:

[COLOR=0066CC]http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13401[/COLOR]

Great review bro, as always. My findings were identical between the AK series. No difference besides power between the ak100ii and ak120ii, and no difference between the ak120ii and AK240. Zero. Nothing. Nada. Great, honest review my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back