Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 11, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #4,141 of 6,668
The guy is correct, there is no support for Android apps. You're limited to what iriver defines in the os. They have an implementation to stream your own music across a local network called mqs. The os is based on Android but very limited in what you can do.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #4,142 of 6,668
The guy is correct, there is no support for Android apps. You're limited to what iriver defines in the os. They have an implementation to stream your own music across a local network called mqs. The os is based on Android but very limited in what you can do.

Yea I see.  But damn, for that much money, I would assumed they would have a fully working Android OS.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #4,143 of 6,668
  You are correct. I just tried my SanDisk 200GB FAT32 formatted card in my AK120 II and it couldn't see all of the folders and then the music player app crashed.  Works fine on the AK Jr.

Tried another 200GB card on the AK120 II. This time, I didn't reformat it to FAT32 and it works fine.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4,144 of 6,668
AK100ii - Balanced vs. SE, SQ Test:
I had to know, so already having my Headphonelounge Reference Silver Litz to AK balanced cable, I ordered the matching AK balanced to 3.5 SE adaptor from Ted to A/B both outputs. I listened using both the H8P tour demo and my NT6pro CIEM. Here is what I found:
  1. Power Difference: The SE clearly has more power. To volume match - by ear, nothing fancy - I found that the H8P SE at 45 had to be turned up to 50 on the balanced output to match. I had similar results with the NT6pro requiring lower volume levels of 40 SE matched at 45 on balanced. So initial thoughts were that the SE sounded more dynamic until it is volume matched to make things equivalent. Remember, the CIEMs are very efficient, but the lowered power doesn't work very well with full sized or inefficient HPs which probably would do better with SE. But they would probably do better with an external amp as well.
  2. SQ Difference: Here we are splitting hairs so it is easy to declare it a tie and tell you to save your money. However, given the top notch performance and transparency of my customs, I could definitely tell a small difference. So the bottom line is that there are small gains to be had from the balanced setup that you will only achieve with the best equipment - so only invest if you care enough about the best possible SQ to pay the entry fee and have the HPs to hear it.
    1. Signature Change: While very similar, the balanced out had a smoother more analog quality and better sound staging while the SE seemed more digital and etched. But we are splitting hairs as it is only a small increase in SQ based on the following.
    2. Black Background: Splitting hairs again, but the etching may have been background noise that was bothering me in the SE. The lack of noise in the balanced output made it seem more pleasing and analog smooth, not to be confused with smooth as smeared.
    3. Transparent: The lack of noise allowed me to focus more on the details with the balanced option while the SE seemed more aggressive.
    4. Sound Stage: Balanced seemed a little wider and deeper and much more 3D and layered, probably again due to the lack of noise or digititis. But this is the biggest difference that I am hearing going back and forth.
    5. Coherent: The placement and direction clues seemed a little more coherent with the balanced setup adding to the improved 3D nature.

Noise may not be the right term here, but I went with it. The bottom line is that they both sound great and ignorance is bliss. But having both options, I will go with the less powered balanced option for all the reasons above. The combination of small gains mentioned provide a more pleasing listening option for long term listening. However, both options work well.

To put this into prospective, I also got an AK balanced to XLR 4pin adaptor to plug into my desktop setup which is a completely different league scaling my NT6pro to the LCD-X and HD800 levels of performance. Comparing the AK100ii performance to my desktop is like comparing a high school sports team to a professional sports team, but we would expect that. If only we could package that desktop sound into the very portable AK100ii format.

Remember, this is one person's opinion and YMMV.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #4,145 of 6,668
^^

Excellent comments! I agree with your asssessments. The differences aren't night and day, but I do prefer the smoother sound of the AK100II balanced overall. But again, both are fairly similar as you noted.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #4,147 of 6,668
- Does it support single FLAC files with CUE sheets?

I can say that cue sheets are not supported on my AK100II. I am actually very disappointed about this. 

It also scans automatically when you insert a new microSD card, which takes quite a lot of time and is completely unnecessary for me.

And finally, play through folder feature on the Fiio X1 is excellent. You can do the same here by adding them to the playlist manually, which is ok.

Coming from a Fiio X1, these are what is missing for me. Of course, anything I don't mention here is an improvement over X1. Especially the sound and the volume knob.

FWIW, thanks.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,148 of 6,668
  Tried another 200GB card on the AK120 II. This time, I didn't reformat it to FAT32 and it works fine.

Whoa.  This is huge news.  I wish I hadn`t just bought this 128gb card . . .   

On another topic, to avoid the SD-scan on every start up, I simply stopped shutting my AK120ii down.  In power control, I set it to `always on`.  So, it`s always on.  I still goes to sleep, but it doesn`t shut down and so never needs to re-scan the card.  And it`s always instant-on, ready to play. 

On yet another topic, my optical out seems to have stopped working.  Does anyone else have this problem?  

d

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #4,149 of 6,668
For a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm interconnect, can I just buy something like this from eBay? Considering both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm are four pole/TRRS? 

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #4,150 of 6,668
I'm also interested to know if that adapter can work with AK120 II. (2,5 mm TRSS Female to 3,5 mm Male) 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Plated-2-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Female-to-3-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Plug-Converter-Adapter-/290990429201

I think it is the same as jjacq

sam

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #4,151 of 6,668
  I'm also interested to know if that adapter can work with AK120 II. (2,5 mm TRSS Female to 3,5 mm Male) 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Plated-2-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Female-to-3-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Plug-Converter-Adapter-/290990429201

sam

Thats a 3.5 male, the AK120ii needs 2.5mm male TRRS. 

What do you mean by work? If you have a AK120ii balanced terminated cable and want it to be 3.5mm TRRS, then yes, but, I believe the pinout for 3.5mm TRRS balanced items is different from the TRRS pinout of the AK devices. So you would need to have an adapter that also switches up the pins for you properly for whatever the device is.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #4,152 of 6,668
  For a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm interconnect, can I just buy something like this from eBay? Considering both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm are four pole/TRRS? 

sam

Those are sold in electronics shops here for around $2.  I bought one (2.5mm female, 3.5mm male; both TRRS) for my 2.5mm TRRS balanced IEM cables, to use from regular 3.5mm TRS outputs.  It does not work : there is only audio from one channel.  I don`t have a 3.5TRRS output device at the moment (like Sony ZX2 or Hifiman`s) so I can`t confirm if they work or not (but I just realized that it is something I should check out ASAP.  However, as kenman345 pointed out, the wiring pattern for AKs is unusual and therefore may not align with the ZX2 output.   

I`ll check it out with a ZX2 in the next couple of days and report back.

d

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #4,154 of 6,668
  Thats a 3.5 male, the AK120ii needs 2.5mm male TRRS. 

What do you mean by work? If you have a AK120ii balanced terminated cable and want it to be 3.5mm TRRS, then yes, but, I believe the pinout for 3.5mm TRRS balanced items is different from the TRRS pinout of the AK devices. So you would need to have an adapter that also switches up the pins for you properly for whatever the device is.

THANKS, the termination of my earphone cable (SE846) is already 2,5 mm TRS. so if i want to use the earphone on the 3,5 mm port, i should get adaptor.
But i understand, this adapter is not the correct one to be use.
It would be very strange because of the price (very low).

Does someone have a good plan to get (with link) to get these adaptor : 2,5 mm TRS female to 3,5 mm male ?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #4,155 of 6,668

THANKS, the termination of my earphone cable (SE846) is already 2,5 mm TRS. so if i want to use the earphone on the 3,5 mm port, i should get adaptor.
But i understand, this adapter is not the correct one to be use.
It would be very strange because of the price (very low).

Does someone have a good plan to get (with link) to get these adaptor : 2,5 mm TRS female to 3,5 mm male ?

Thanks

Eh....no....So i am not 100% sure that that connector is meant to have a 2.5mm TRS, it definitely can take in a 2.5mm TRRS. but read the fine print, maybe it does say

Users who are viewing this thread

Back