Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Feb 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #3,422 of 6,668
I just got my AK120II yesterday. Have been loving it on my Westone W60s (with new Double Helix cable!).

I have an observation and a question: 

First, I am unexpectedly pleased at the fine-grained volume control. Upgrading from iPhone as source, I love how the AK lets you adjust the volume in such minute gradations to get that perfect listening level where all the detail is revealed without straining your ears. 

As for the question: Most of my music is CDs ripped to Apple Lossless format. I'm not particularly knowledgable about various encoding schemes and effects of bit rates, but do you all think this is sufficiently high-resolution to get the most out of my gear? 

Thanks. 

(I read recently that a normal person uses his audio system to listen to music, but an audiophile uses his music to listen to his audio system. With this new gear, I confess I have fallen into the second category. To me, now, the pure texture of the sound itself is almost more important than the context of the music in which it's played.)

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #3,423 of 6,668
^^^ 90% of my music is ALAC & I honestly cannot tell a difference between any of the formats (e.g., ALAC vs. FLAC vs. WAV vs. AIFF), but I suppose there are those who (think they) can (& no, I'm not being glib by saying that).  I'm not sure what you think can be attained by utilizing anything other than ALAC for 16/44 files.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #3,424 of 6,668

I don't really have an opinion either way. It's not something I have much knowledge about. I'm glad to hear what you say, though, because the CDs are ripped and tossed! And I sure as heck am not going to be rebuilding my music collection....

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #3,425 of 6,668

I don't really have an opinion either way. It's not something I have much knowledge about. I'm glad to hear what you say, though, because the CDs are ripped and tossed! And I sure as heck am not going to be rebuilding my music collection....

As long as it's lossless, there's no problem. Most devices play ALAC these days anyway, so don't worry about it. 95% of my music is FLAC cd rips or downloads with the rest being high-res downloads (From Quboz & HDTracks) and a few BD rips.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #3,426 of 6,668
  Care to share your source? Can't seem to find good 2.5mm TRRS connectors up here...

I got them from lunashops.com and while I like them, they`re not optimal.  The narrow bit between the carbon body and the 2.5 trrs post bugs me, triggers my OCD. I want the full diameter of the shell bracing against the top of the AK.  I have seen a Japan-local builder`s 2.5trrs plug that is hella-fat; it must be a full centimeter in diameter... I have seen it on his cables but I can`t find any source for just the connector, yet.  The Norne/ Double Helix one is nice and wide, but this one here is even wider. . .  

d

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #3,427 of 6,668

I got them from lunashops.com and while I like them, they`re not optimal.  The narrow bit between the carbon body and the 2.5 trrs post bugs me, triggers my OCD. I want the full diameter of the shell bracing against the top of the AK.  I have seen a Japan-local builder`s 2.5trrs plug that is hella-fat; it must be a full centimeter in diameter... I have seen it on his cables but I can`t find any source for just the connector, yet.  The Norne/ Double Helix one is nice and wide, but this one here is even wider. . .  

d

Not that it's an issue for the stock AK120II case, but if you had a case on it like what I have on my iPhone, you'd be real thankful for that narrow section.  I had to make sure I ordered a 3.5mm plug on my 2.5mmtrrs to 3.5mmtrs cable from Ted so it will plug in through the case.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,429 of 6,668
  anyone tried OTG storage on this thing, I'd love to do an mSata SSD drive in a usb case ?

And the topic of using a wireless drive has been touched on in the past.  Pretty much dream set up would be a wireless SSD. . . . 

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,431 of 6,668
How do you get the files in a folder to sort by track number instead of alphabetically?

Sounds like you might need to use a music library program to set tags.  It's common to name files to start with the two-digit track number, eg. "01 Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.flac".  Then set the "name" tag to the song name, and "track" to track number, so they will sort, display, and play back in the correct order within albums.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #3,432 of 6,668
Hey guys I`m selling a rather beautiful 2.5 TRRS MMCX cable that you all need: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755935/astell-kern-2-5mm-trrs-mmcx-cable-by-bispa

d

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,433 of 6,668
I received my other AK120II case yesterday from Dopaminer. Just wanted to post some pictures as the blue is gorgeous. I like it a lot better than the stock blue case. Also the pattern is starting to grow on me. Thanks again d!
Also pictured is my lowepro case I got after suggestions on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back