Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Dec 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,716 of 6,668

IMO,A&K players for iems to use.

You can't feed your HD650 with AK100ii.HD650 needs much power.My RWAK240 can't ride HD650 without an amp too.

If you want to ride hard headphones like HD650,HD598,HD800 etc, you need an amp.

I kind of figured as much after getting my unit and listening to it. I think I jumped the gun when buying the AK100 II as it doesn't suit what I was trying to accomplish. I'm thinking I should return the unit and use the money for a setup that would more fit my desire to purchase the HD 650. I guess the other question I should ask before making any decision is how much money would I be looking at to amp something like the HD 650 from the AK100 II? Would something like the Schiit Magni 2 Uber work, or do I need to spend more money than that? I like the idea of having a portable player like the AK and would consider keeping it if I can amp it without breaking the bank. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #2,718 of 6,668

I kind of figured as much after getting my unit and listening to it. I think I jumped the gun when buying the AK100 II as it doesn't suit what I was trying to accomplish. I'm thinking I should return the unit and use the money for a setup that would more fit my desire to purchase the HD 650. I guess the other question I should ask before making any decision is how much money would I be looking at to amp something like the HD 650 from the AK100 II? Would something like the Schiit Magni 2 Uber work, or do I need to spend more money than that? I like the idea of having a portable player like the AK and would consider keeping it if I can amp it without breaking the bank. 

Your choice of course.I think you can use Schiits,yes.I tried Schiit Vali and it is good amp I think.You can use it.And it is not expensive.

You can use it with your AK100ii.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2,720 of 6,668
I made an adapter from the 2.5TRRS to the Hirose I use for all my phones. The 2.5 TRRS I posted earlier, it isn't the easiest to solder so if you happen to get them, use a magnifier, make sure you really have the solder flowing on the tabs and use a hot iron but fast. 3 times the solder didn't really flow so you would have a cold solder joint so you have to test it with a little pull, etc. The ones with tabs one after the other, in a line, would be easier and most likely, from the plating, flow better. But it works and is solid, at least the way I make them but it takes twice as long as usual to make for me. 

I have to add, to use 2.5 TRRS is really not smart but it is what we have. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,721 of 6,668
how many steps that the eq goes up and down in the new AK players ... i know that it is 10 band eq and people says it is implemented well but i want to know how much it is effective as i like playing with eq with some songs and genera ... and is it degrades the sound volume when on or not ?

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,722 of 6,668

Your choice of course.I think you can use Schiits,yes.I tried Schiit Vali and it is good amp I think.You can use it.And it is not expensive.

You can use it with your AK100ii.

I strongly disagree with this, AK100ii does awesome job with HD-650. I was using HD-650 with Lyr for more than two years and does not have any hesitation in saying AK100ii does better job.

HD-650 sound more impact-full than IE800, it sounds fuller, does not suffer on soundstage or timber, bass is impactful. I am very happy with this pair. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,723 of 6,668
Anyone get the Van Halen Jump album, I only ask cause all the track are wrong,in the pic is playing Panama but all the tracks on display are listed wrong? Acoustic Sounds.com is were I get mines and never had a problem till now..

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2,724 of 6,668

Haven`t we had the exact same discussion before, high-fidelity?  
Anyway, I`ll say the same thing I said before : Got the Shakes, maybe you should trade your 100ii for the 120ii.  My 120ii drives my HD800 well and my T5P really really well (max volume used so far is 50; regular volume is around 40.  Out of possible 75).  The T5P is balanced; the HD800 single ended.  They have the exact same sensitivity (102db, HD650 is 103db)
I think the 120ii will drive my HD800 beautifully once I get a balanced adaptor sorted out.  

I demo`d the Z7 yesterday here in Bangkok with my 120ii and it was amazing. 

One  full-size phone that I`ve tried with my 120ii that clearly needed amping was the Hifiman HE-560 - I had to max the volume. 

Got the Shakes I clearly undertstand your desire to simplify your portable system; it was also my goal to traide in my dx50 - ibasso DB2+PB2 stack for one light, elegant, awesome-sounding device.  But I have to ask, why are you focusing on an open headphone (HD650) for such a portable device ?  

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2,725 of 6,668

Haven`t we had the exact same discussion before, high-fidelity?  
Anyway, I`ll say the same thing I said before : Got the Shakes, maybe you should trade your 100ii for the 120ii.  My 120ii drives my HD800 well and my T5P really really well (max volume used so far is 50; regular volume is around 40.  Out of possible 75).  The T5P is balanced; the HD800 single ended.  They have the exact same sensitivity (102db, HD650 is 103db)
I think the 120ii will drive my HD800 beautifully once I get a balanced adaptor sorted out.  

I demo`d the Z7 yesterday here in Bangkok with my 120ii and it was amazing. 

One  full-size phone that I`ve tried with my 120ii that clearly needed amping was the Hifiman HE-560 - I had to max the volume. 

Got the Shakes I clearly undertstand your desire to simplify your portable system; it was also my goal to traide in my dx50 - ibasso DB2+PB2 stack for one light, elegant, awesome-sounding device.  But I have to ask, why are you focusing on an open headphone (HD650) for such a portable device ?  

I appreciate your response, you have brought up some info that I hadn't read before so thank you for that. I don't think I did a good job of conveying my point in earlier posts. I'm not looking to go portable with a pair of open headphones, I'm simply looking at finally buying a pair like the HD 650 and was hoping that the AK100 II would be enough to drive them without having to spend extra money on an amp. After some research and reading some posts here (including yours), I now have a better understanding of the AK and what I am looking to do. My plan of attack is to buy the HD 650 after Christmas and try them with the AK100 II and see how they work. If I feel they aren't driven well, I will most likely purchase a Schiit Magna 2 amp for them which will make the AK100 II + HD 650 + Schiit Magna 2 my home rig, and the AK100 II + UE 900s my portable rig. I was focusing on an open headphone because it's the last thing in my audio setup I want to buy, and I thought the AK100 II would be the perfect device to drive them. If not, then I am now fine with buying a desktop amp to power them.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,727 of 6,668
  Im trying to get an android app called BubbleUPnp working with my ak player. Have any of you guys had success? 

Works fine for me.

Bubbleupnp is running on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (use the wizard to setup), the AK 100 II sees it no problem.
(or used to my MQS on my AK II is crashing all the time now   :frowning2:   )

For testing, also try with another source like MQS or another upnp server.
This way you can establish if it is the Bubbleupnp or something else.

Greetings,

CasperBxl

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2,728 of 6,668

Works fine for me.

Bubbleupnp is running on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (use the wizard to setup), the AK 100 II sees it no problem.
(or used to my MQS on my AK II is crashing all the time now   :frowning2:   )

For testing, also try with another source like MQS or another upnp server.
This way you can establish if it is the Bubbleupnp or something else.

Greetings,

CasperBxl

Thanks so much dude! yes i tried it on the xbox and it worked, so i figured it was the player. So yours used to work but it currently crashes? Mine crashes too. Hopefully A&K can fix this soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back