Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Dec 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,476 of 6,668
UPDATE after some debugging .... MQS STREAMING:

** It only works if the SOURCE is also WiFi connected, so over WiFi.

** This means a NAS or other upnp / DLNA source does not work, even if physically (ethernet) connected
     to the same IP network as the AK over WiFi.

Example: NAS connected to network with cable, to a access point (or your internet router with WiFi),
     and your AK on that WiFi point does not work.

** Solutions:

* Get a NAS with native, built-in WiFi, or

* Get a USB WiFi device for your NAS (check compatibility)

* Have a small PC or any other upnp/DLNA device with WiFi running a compatible upnp / MQS compatible source
            and share your source (NAS, ...) via that device.

I hope this can help,
With kind regards,

CasperBxl

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,477 of 6,668

** This means a NAS or other upnp / DLNA source does not work, even if physically (ethernet) connected

Example: NAS connected to network with cable, to a access point (or your internet router with WiFi),

** Solutions:

* Have a small PC or any other upnp/DLNA device with WiFi running a compatible upnp / MQS compatible source

I hope this can help,
With kind regards,

CasperBxl

That's a little disappointing to hear, and I hope it's something they sort out soon (unless that's they way they intended it to work for some reason which would be a bit weird). The more I think about it as much as I'd like to be able to connect directly to my NAS for wireless streaming (once I finally decide to spend the money on an AK100 II that is), I have a Mac Mini that I leave running all the time as a Plex server anyways so I could just run the MQS server on there and point it to my NAS and still have access to my music collection all the time.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #2,478 of 6,668
I am really digging the new "AKT5P" EQ setting.
It is fuller, meatier and more low ends. It sounds sweeter and less digital.
I also hear more separation and depth. Excellent improvements.
This will be my default setting from now on. L O V E it !

Great job AK
beerchug.gif

So...when can we get Spotify ?

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #2,479 of 6,668
  I am really digging the new "AKT5P" EQ setting.
It is fuller, meatier and more low ends. It sounds sweeter and less digital.
I also hear more separation and depth. Excellent improvements.
This will be my default setting from now on. L O V E it !

Great job AK
beerchug.gif

So...when can we get Spotify ?

It has been made for the new to release AK headphone AKT5P, a colaboration with Beyerdynamic.

But if it sounds good, it sounds good!!!   :wink:

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,480 of 6,668
Well, finally got the update done.  It took well over 35 minutes to download the update.  Whilst my Internet connection isn't the best (5mbps), I can tell you that the sluggishness was at AK's end, not mine.  I purposely SSH to work and logged into our core router to check the flows.  The benefits of being a tech with access to your ISPs core router  :wink:

Quote:
I updated my 240 yesterday, went rather quickly a d fortunately smooth.

Dpastern, sorry for your troubles bro... Try and take a deep breath and relax.

I have heard the nightmare stories of dealing with AK, I totally understand your trepidation and angst. If for whatever reason you have an issue, deal with the company you purchased it from... That's what I did and no problems for me. Anyway, you aren't going to brick your device if it doesn't finish downloading. First it has to download the entire file, then it will verify it's md5 (which is like a digital signature making sure it grabbed the correct file and in its entirety), then it will flash. That's the only time you may brick your device, in which case most of those errors are probably user error, updating with a low battery. Regardless, other than the lag, you should be fine.

Trust me, I'm on your side and with you as a fellow consumer that paid a hefty price tag for their high end audio device. Just don't let it get the best of you bro!!

i was worried about a parital download of the firmware upgrade trying to initiate an upgrade to the system on reboot, thankfully it didn't.  It looks like the company that I bought the unit from no longer sells AK products.  I'll be contacting them today and having a wee bit of a chat.  Curious to see whether AK dropped them, or they dropped AK.  I'm suspecting the latter.  

Man, you`re having a world of trouble that I am not.  Sorry to hear it. 

I updated.  The update is only 133MB; it downloaded in one minute.  I then saw a confirmation screen, selected OK, the 120ii rebooted.   That took another minute.  

Zero problems.

I don`t see any visual changes.  I`m listening, and of course . . . 

I HEAR A WHOLE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE ! ! ! !

Just kidding.  I think.  I don`t know.  Placebo is amazing.  

Let`s not all get carried away, like with the DX50/90 threads.  

Does anyone have any commentary from AK on this update?  Is it just stability/maintenance package or is there any new functionality ? 

See above about my update.  Wasn't fast, but did work on the 2nd attempt.  I'd be curious to know the URL so that I can test it from within my work office 40/40 ethernet connection.  Without being able to traceroute and check ICMP latency, I can only guess, but my suspicion is that being Australia, really added to the latency big time...

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #2,481 of 6,668
I won't comment further on SQ changes until I've had a good chance to listen to the device with my 3 headphones (Sony MDR-V55, Audeze LCD2 and Sennheiser HD540 reference Gold).  I have a few suspicions but will keep them to myself until then.  

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,482 of 6,668
Where is the new FW for the AK100II? I don't see it on their site. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,483 of 6,668

Here it is,you can read with translatate.

http://www.iriver.jp/information/entry_775.php

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,484 of 6,668
The new EQ setting sounds very engaging to me, less forward more balance.
It might be designed specifically for Beyerdynamic but to me it works well with LCD 2.2. Try it and listen to it.

AK120II > Intruder balance out > Ted's sliver litz > LCD 2.2

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,487 of 6,668

** Solutions:

I hope this can help,
With kind regards,

CasperBxl

SO that is why a shop here is selling a bundled Wifi harddrive with the 240.  If they can get this optimized, it is quite the mindblowing feature.  

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #2,488 of 6,668

Go to 'Settings' on your AK100II to do the update from there.

Make sure you connect to Wifi and have sufficient battery life and storage space (more than 1GB) before performing the update.

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,490 of 6,668
As usual, I hear no difference in SQ. Doesn't surprise me, and I'm happy since I loved the sound prior to the update.

[@]Dpastern [/@] I wasn't trying imply it was in your end, just wanted to share my experience, which was a positive one. God only knows what was happening, nor does it really matter, as long as you are up and running and enjoying your device, that's all dat matters!!

Interested in your perceived changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back