Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 4, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #766 of 6,668
The shape of 240 is pretty unique and with strong character.  It is a very well built machine and with good attention to details.  Agreed that other devices with more conventional look would attract more buyers though.

I agree. The ak240's look on photo didn't work for me one bit, but in fall in love with it design and craftsmanship once I get to hold it on my hands. Having said that, I have to say the ak120ii, with its case, is quite the looker also!

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #768 of 6,668
I picked it up after work. Lo and behold!

The device's actual color closely resembles these two photos:

The photos do not do the AK100II justice. It looks much better in real. Photos of this device usually make it look like silver-colored brushed aluminum. In real, it looks dark brown gun metal, like the last two photos. Not silver-aluminum. I really like the metallic finish. Trust me, the AK100II looks nowhere near as good in photos. In your hands it really impressed me. It makes my iPhone 5S Gold look cheap in comparison, go figure!

I applied the front and back shields. It was easy to apply. Bubbles and dust particles can be removed quickly during placement of the shields. I'm copying music at this moment. I'll give an impression of the audio quality soon. I have a busy evening and will be fully occupied with other things tomorrow.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #769 of 6,668
  I picked it up after work. Lo and behold!

The device's actual color closely resembles these two photos:

The photos do not do the AK100II justice. It looks much better in real. Photos of this device usually make it look like silver-colored brushed aluminum. In real, it looks dark brown gun metal, like the last two photos. Not silver-aluminum. I really like the metallic finish. Trust me, the AK100II looks nowhere near as good in photos. In your hands it really impressed me. It makes my iPhone 5S Gold look cheap in comparison, go figure!

I applied the front and back shields. It was easy to apply. Bubbles and dust particles can be removed quickly during placement of the shields. I'm copying music at this moment. I'll give an impression of the audio quality soon. I have a busy evening and will be fully occupied with other things tomorrow.

Beautiful

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #770 of 6,668
damnn... that's hot...
tempted to get it in the future just for the looks alone!

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #772 of 6,668
I really like the case that comes with the AK100II, I wish the AK120II came with the same one. I hope iRiver will make one available on their online store.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #773 of 6,668
Again, has anyone compared the optical out SQ in between AK100ii, AK120ii and AK240?? :)

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #774 of 6,668
The case is double layered on the front and rear. It has a very tight fit. It took quite some force to get the device out of the case once it's inserted.

There's a dilemma to this. The player looks good without case, but also good in the case. It's hard to choose.:D I think I'll keep it in the case to make it look extra special when I take it out once in a while.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #776 of 6,668
I'm still copying music, but I started listening to music that's been transferred. Since I'm not a musician, I just share my opinion as a consumer.

The sound quality is what I was hoping for. The iPhone 5S can't be compared to a device like this. It's a league of it's own. The music plays gapless. The difference between the iBasso HDP-R10 and AK100II is (to my ears) that the R10 sounds more 3D-like, but the AK100II is extremely accurate. You can feel drums and breathing tickle your ears. The instruments are very well separated. There is nothing wrong with AK100II's sound quality at all. I'm very pleased with the quality.

The user-interface is great. It's simple, elegant, straightforward and responsive. The button layout and menus are very intuitive and do not spam you with unnecessary features. The artwork shows up without problems. It's possible to drag the volume through the touch screen and the hardware volume knob. There's no need to wait for it to scan newly added songs. I used all 64 GB's and immediately played music while I copied more music to the MicroSD card in the AK100II.

build quality: 10/10
design: 10/10
sound quality: 9.5/10
UI: 9/10

Overall: 9.5/10

I did however find one bug. During a song, I powered on the screen. For no reason at all, the player went to the next song which played for a couple of seconds before going to the song after that and so on. It kept doing it until I manually selected a song. It happened once. I played the song that started it and continued playing several songs and it didn't happen again.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #778 of 6,668
  damnn... that's hot...
tempted to get it in the future just for the looks alone!

I want to make love to it(kidding).   Anyway, AK shows presentation means alot as those pictures clearly shows they know how to present their products well.  Until iriver comes back down to earth, I will never own a AK product.

s0ny, which sounds 10/10 to you?

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #779 of 6,668
These are my own photos, shot with my iPhone 5S :p

The AK100II is a very desirable unit. I saw a very hot girl in hot pants and tight shirt this afternoon, but I forgot about her when I opened the AK100II box.

I can't say which one is 10/10 because the R10 sounds different to AK100II. The AK100II has a very black background and great accuracy. The AK100II does not sound as colored and airy as the R10, but fierce when it has to. You'll hear everything very well. When a song has strong compression, you'll hear it. Analog recordings will sound very analog in a good way.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #780 of 6,668
Are you guys in Hong Kong seeing the AK100II in shops? We usually get the AK first...is the distro worried that people would not buy the AK120II after auditioning both new models? So force the impatient ppl to buy the expensive model first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back