Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 2, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #721 of 6,668
I have tried the se846 with AK240, AK120II and I don't think that the difference is material enough for me to pay double the price. On a blind test I might not even be able to tell the difference listening to flac files

As for quality of an iPhone 5, the sound signature is less warm but still sounds great with my SE846. However it feels nice to use my AK120II. No distractions!!!

What differences between the 240 & the 120ii did you personally notice?

& how are you liking your se 846s with ur 120ii? Is it bad like the poster above said?

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #722 of 6,668
Hmmm that's interesting.
I suppose I'm looking to find my end game also & one of these daps will be it :p

My math is like this...

Even though I picked up the most expensive (or top model) gears, as long as it sounds good, for a long period of time there is no second thoughts as any new replacements would offer little improvements and thus invalidated the craving of buying (of course there are fellow headfiers have the habit of continuous shopping).

Should I choose the path of buying a lesser model at the beginning, there're always the "top model" around to tempt you for a better solution (for the short term).  Once your mind could not resist such temptations, you'd spend more money for choosing this route as you would make a lost for trading out the current gear.  

That's why my purchasing strategy always starts with the top models, regardless of the hobbies that I'm in.  

Cheers

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #723 of 6,668
Even without a chance in person audition the AK100ii, from what's been read and the spec would offer, 100ii has my vote as the best buy among all 3 [100ii, 120ii and 240], even I'm a 240 owner.

Congratulations.
Thanks. I also think it has the best price/performance ratio of the three. The AK120II is nearly 2 times the price of the AK100II, while the difference in SQ is almost not noticeable unless you do careful A/B.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #724 of 6,668
Thanks. I also think it has the best price/performance ratio of the three. The AK120II is nearly 2 times the price of the AK100II, while the difference in SQ is almost not noticeable unless you do careful A/B.

Yep.  

You have identical craftsmanship & UI, 1DAC (to which we won't see anyway), smaller size (than the 120ii), better looking shell, same balanced output...you have almost everything the other two models have and should fit most with more affordable price.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #725 of 6,668
  Another question that you might ask yourself is once you've got the 120ii and will some day your craving pushes you to the 240 upgrade?

If I can afford it, I would get 240.  However, I would have buyers remorse with AK-120II.  It's a kick as player and worth upgrading from AK120 or AK100 version one.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #726 of 6,668
Since all three models are available now, we should just get the one that sounds the best to our ears...if your ears are discerning enough and the manufacturer is delivering sonic value for their flagship model, your wallet is then sxxt out of luck.. LoL

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #727 of 6,668

If I can afford it, I would get 240.  However, I would have buyers remorse with AK-120II.  It's a kick as player and worth upgrading from AK120 or AK100 version one.

Yep, you are right.  The 100ii & 120ii, should they carry the similar SQ signature of the 240, represent an upgrade to the previous generation.  I've listened to both 100 (not mark2, but the original 100) & 120 and even though 120 was a better performer but it never impressed me at its time.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #728 of 6,668
This thread really tells me we all listen/view music differently:

1. For those particular and very discerning on the sound - you should try all the models and then choose what you like, irrespective of the cost. Forums give you a guide but you can't decide based on that. I still do not think the AK240 is a must-buy over the AK120II as the character is different to me (IMO only).

2. For those who have upgraditis or equipment envy easily and spend lots of time reading forum - buy the AK240.

3. For those who can't tell the difference and are convinced specs tell the picture - just buy the lowest model, or better yet, something like a DX90.. honestly, I think many people can't appreciate the differences enough to be worth the money.

Regardless of your choice, if you have strong reasons to justify why you made it, you won't be swayed easily.

Btw, at the risk of sounding like a nut, I feel a difference in instrumental resonance and openness when you remove the plastic film protection around the edges of the AK120II (around the micro usb port, headphone output, etc). It's a small difference (but important to people like me), and I'd recommend to remove it once you buy.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #729 of 6,668
Yep.  

You have identical craftsmanship & UI, 1DAC (to which we won't see anyway), smaller size (than the 120ii), better looking shell, same balanced output...you have almost everything the other two models have and should fit most with more affordable price.
For my SE846, the AK100II should suffice. Looks-wise, I prefer the AK100II. It has a shorter metal top than the AK120II and a better-looking case. Using the SE846, I think the benefits of Dual DAC are not enough to justify double price.

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #730 of 6,668
For my SE846, the AK100II should suffice. Looks-wise, I prefer the AK100II. It has a shorter metal top than the AK120II and a better-looking case. Using the SE846, I think the benefits of Dual DAC are not enough to justify double price.

But with old versions,differences are too much.AK100 and AK120.(old) 

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #731 of 6,668
For all AK100ii and 120ii owner, can you guys kindly tell me any SQ difference between them in optical output? From the specification it seems that the AK100ii will have the same output SQ as AK120ii. As they both have the same clock jitter...

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #733 of 6,668
I a
What differences between the 240 & the 120ii did you personally notice?

& how are you liking your se 846s with ur 120ii? Is it bad like the poster above said?

I am no expert but I found the AK240 to have a marginally larger soundstage over the AK120II, I think. And I say I think because the difference was so slight I wasn't sure if it was placebo (knowing I was using a more expensive machine). As it was not so clear cut to me using se846 I decided against the extra cost. On optical out, I haven't tried this so others might see a more obvious improvement

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #734 of 6,668
I a

I am no expert but I found the AK240 to have a marginally larger soundstage over the AK120II, I think. And I say I think because the difference was so slight I wasn't sure if it was placebo (knowing I was using a more expensive machine). As it was not so clear cut to me using se846 I decided against the extra cost. On optical out, I haven't tried this so others might see a more obvious improvement

I was initially looking at the AK120II too, but with the UERM deal dropping the 240 to $2135 with the dock (sell the dock to further reduce the 240 to $1900) and impulse starts to kick in before reason lol

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #735 of 6,668
I was initially looking at the AK120II too, but with the UERM deal dropping the 240 to $2135 with the dock (sell the dock to further reduce the 240 to $1900) and impulse starts to kick in before reason lol

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back