Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #601 of 6,668
For the ones iterested, I found the AK100II for 850euro!

http://www.hifi-stereo-shop.com/de/wta-shop/astell-kern/ak100-ii/
Also the AK120II is priced at a better level than those absurd Amazon prices!

Edit: Apparently the player is 930 euro when including the case.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #602 of 6,668
Wow thanks and lots of love Warren for that comparison! I'm assuming the 100 II will lose out in all the check box areas against the original 120?

And similar to 120II, the 100II is also on the micro analytical side and non musical.

Yup, the AK100II and AK120II share the same basic signature.  For the AK100II, I would say it compares to the AK120 in the same way as the AK120II, except that clarity would no longer be a tie.. the AK120 would win that category.  If you're trying to make a decision between the AK100II and AK120II, I would definitely go for the latter.  Sound-wise, the closer you come to the AK240, the happier you will be. 
smile.gif

so when you gonna teach me how to get all fancy with graphs and shizzle?? 
L3000.gif

Lol, it ain't no thang, just time-consuming is all.  Check out the button to the right of the embed video button above... that's the first step. 
smile.gif

STILL rockin the AK240!!
have gone from: Audeze LCD-2 w/ Fazor, LCD-X, LCD-XC, Alpha Dogs...
just blowin my brain - SO glad I get to live with it and do a follow-up review after my CES tease...

YES - this defies what I thought a portable unit could do - alone. with the 240 - haven't needed an amp yet!!

and I'm about to try it as source/DAC as well.
As @warrenpchi knows - I LIKE headroom - and I also like to get DOWN w/ my electronic music (as well as all sorts of other genres) and the AK240 is so wide-open, airy, dynamically charged and dimensional.
and BTW - 

running it in balanced mode right now w/ my Alpha Dogs thanks to @scootermafia DHC cables!!!!

I can't wait to get all of your impressions on the balanced out for the AK240.  @third_eye and I have already got ours... and without spoiling the review, all I can say is whoa, that's funky.

and, we got some cool stuff comin' with regard to further reporting!

Lol, I'm picturing you trying to drive the Abyss with the AK240. 
biggrin.gif
  Hey, you know what's odd?  In personal listening (i.e. not critical listening), I preferred the AK120 with the ProEQ on.  But with the AK240, it was exactly the opposite, and I did not like the ProEQ on.  I've spoken to a few people who feel the same.  Have you had a chance to check that out yet?

Very interesting stuff to read!!! Thanks to everyone that is contributing so much information. Just if applicable, I am very curious to see how the AK100II performs compared to the X5 and the Calyx M.

By judging impressions, the Calyx M is more musical and wam sounding while is the X5 is more neutral. Anybody heard 2 of 3 of these players to give a small comparison?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, I'm at a loss there mate.  But Currawong has a DAP-off thread going on... and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he gets his hands on the AK100II and AK120II.  In the meantime, I'm going to be spending more time with both players for a full review.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #603 of 6,668

Thanks Sam! 
smile.gif
  As a fellow AK120 owner, I too am pleased.  But I will admit that I was pretty shocked as well... especially given the ass kicking my AK120 received at the hands of the AK240.

You know, there's an inside joke that we have at 360, where I'm trying as hard as possible to NOT hear it.  It's because every maternal fornicator I know - who has heard a Hugo - has ended up buying it.  And since I'm saving up for a Cavalli Liquid Glass at the moment, I don't need that kind of anguish if you know what I mean. 
tongue.gif

That said... Ethan, Kevin and Frank are working on a triple review of it now.  Amos is working on a review as well, but I think his will be for Positive Feedback.

BTW, thanks man, I totally appreciate the offer.  But for the sake of my sanity, Ima have to decline. 
smile.gif

Oh, no, they're definitely doing that in the 360 review. 
smile.gif

Well Warren, I don't want to be included in the maternal fornicators, that's for sure! But the Hugo presents an interesting dilemma. I wouldn't slap down $2500 on a player if you haven't heard it...

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #604 of 6,668

You know, there's an inside joke that we have at 360, where I'm trying as hard as possible to NOT hear it.  It's because every maternal fornicator I know - who has heard a Hugo - has ended up buying it.  And since I'm saving up for a Cavalli Liquid Glass at the moment, I don't need that kind of anguish if you know what I mean. 
tongue.gif

Well Warren, I don't want to be included in the maternal fornicators, that's for sure! But the Hugo presents an interesting dilemma. I wouldn't slap down $2500 on a player if you haven't heard it...

Lol, I know, I'm gonna have to behold the splendor that is the Hugo eventually... but dayum, this schiit is getting expensive! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #605 of 6,668
I have been on the fence upgrading my AK120 to the AK240. While Cirrus Logic DACs have sometimes been considered fatiguing in contrast to the Wolfson's musical/comfortable to listen to for long periods, my personal preference is more in the Cirrus Logic camp (I also love the SR009 over the SR007 for similar reasons.) For portable DAPs, my favorite to-date has been the HM901's implementation of the ESS (Sabre) – too bad the HM901 is a brick.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #606 of 6,668
Oeh... I do not like the whole fatiguing thing... Are the Cirrus DAC's indeed fatiguing?

Ps. Is the leather case included?:) I would love to see an unboxing of one of the new models!

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #607 of 6,668
Oeh... I do not like the whole fatiguing thing... Are the Cirrus DAC's indeed fatiguing?

Ps. Is the leather case included?
smily_headphones1.gif
I would love to see an unboxing of one of the new models!

This was a generalization based on the Cirrus chip's DNA, but like others have previously noted, it's all in the implementation of the DAC. The new AK is not fatiguing, but people are indicating they are more revealing.  

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #608 of 6,668
This was a generalization based on the Cirrus chip's DNA, but like others have previously noted, it's all in the implementation of the DAC. The new AK is not fatiguing, but people are indicating they are more revealing.  

Thanks, :) I hope to be able to try one of the new players soon. Still, such a bummer that the AK240 is so darn expensive... If it would be around 1500€ which will be close to 2000$, I would def go for the AK240...

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #609 of 6,668
Thanks, :) I hope to be able to try one of the new players soon. Still, such a bummer that the AK240 is so darn expensive... If it would be around 1500€ which will be close to 2000$, I would def go for the AK240...

UE has a bundle which brings the price down to around $2150 including a dock if you share with someone for the customs.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #611 of 6,668
I know! I already send some pm's out... Would love to get it at this price!

I was lucky my friend wanted the UERM lol. Hope you managed to get into the deal too!

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #613 of 6,668
Thanks,
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope to be able to try one of the new players soon. Still, such a bummer that the AK240 is so darn expensive... If it would be around 1500€ which will be close to 2000$, I would def go for the AK240...

depending upon what you're looking for, buying a Hugo and using the X5's coaxial out to the Hugo may be money better spent than buying the AK240. Those who have heard both, prefer the Hugo.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #614 of 6,668
depending upon what you're looking for, buying a Hugo and using the X5's coaxial out to the Hugo may be money better spent than buying the AK240. Those who have heard both, prefer the Hugo.

This applies to all DAPs I assumed!

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #615 of 6,668
This applies to all DAPs I assumed!

Well I'm sure those who are looking at the 240 as a standalone DAP isn't interested in a transport, especially given the price of this thing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back