Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
May 24, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #302 of 6,668
anyone know the battery life of the 100ii and 120ii that's the only thing keeping me from buying this device. I assume its going to be the same as the 240 which is downright horrible but I would like for someone to prove me wrong and tell me it has 10+ hours on use.

If not that is one thing ak needs to fix I liked having 14 hours on the ak120 and not worrying about charging it every three days compared to feeling the need to charge the 240 after one session. I think that wifi was a hindering feature as we really don't need access to 1tb+ music as most people don't listen that long and it kills the battery faster.

That or release a 120 titan shaped device with 14 hours no wifi and 256gb of storage + a micro sd slot.

May 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #303 of 6,668
The AK240 has a four core XMOS processor, the AK100II and AK120II do not.  Should impact the battery life.

May 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #304 of 6,668
  The AK240 has a four core XMOS processor, the AK100II and AK120II do not.  Should impact the battery life.

very unfortunate as I still don't understand why A&K is aiming for less battery life and more useless features I would think one would buy a portable device for listening to music on the go rather than trying to use it as a streaming device which would not be used very often.

May 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #305 of 6,668
Streaming capabilities you say?

Good. This is one dang good reason to remain interested in the original AK120. :)

May 25, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #306 of 6,668
Streaming capability is one of the main reason I'm getting pulled back to AK after selling my 1st gen..

May 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #307 of 6,668
  I would think one would buy a portable device for listening to music on the go rather than trying to use it as a streaming device which would not be used very often.

The XMOS processor has nothing to do with streaming.  It is for DSD and USB DAC functionality.  Ie you could use the AK240 and nothing else if you wanted at home, road and office.

May 25, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #308 of 6,668

very unfortunate as I still don't understand why A&K is aiming for less battery life and more useless features I would think one would buy a portable device for listening to music on the go rather than trying to use it as a streaming device which would not be used very often.

It has nothing to do with the functionality and is about the resolution of the files that you run.  

You may try the same on your computer comparing the same...playback hi-res files will drain your computer batteries much faster than low res.  You would also observe that your computer would generate higher heat dissipation like the AK240 when playing those high res when compared to normal CD res files.

May 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #309 of 6,668
I'm hoping to go to the Headphonium next weekend and will report back. I was able to resist the AK240 @ $2k out the door last month at the So-Cal meet up, only because I HAD to have the Hugo and couldn't justify both. 
To be completely honest I'm only slightly miffed about all of the updates. High end DAP's are going to be like Pentium Processors in the '90ies for a while. The best won't stay best for very long. My AK120 still does what it did the day I bought it. It certainly has AK240 SQ through the Hugo. And with a 256GB SD card taped to it's back, and 128GB MicroSD, it has more capacity (448GB!) than just about anything else out there. I can always tape another 256GB card to the back when I run out of space (576GB!).
Even with high end CIEM's, I don't really think I can hear much difference between an AK120 and an AK240 while riding my bike because of the wind noise. 
For those of us with not-unlimited disposable income I think we'll have to resign ourselves to skipping a few generations of AK products for the foreseeable future. I think if they'd paced themselves they would have done better. 
If the margins are as good as many say, they would have an easy remedy for buyer remorse: Offer full value trade-ins for existing customers. I bet they wouldn't loose money if they let me trade in my AK120 for an AK240 for ~ $1200, I would be a customer for life. This would also give them a huge stock of refurbished units that they could sell to bring in customers that can't afford their products now.

May 26, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #313 of 6,668
LOL! What an outrageously misleading topology description of competitors DAPs!:

Really? REALLY?!

Funny how iBasso's topology looks absolutely NOTHING LIKE that, even though the DX90 is less than one fifth the price. Even the cheaper DX50, at less than one ninth the price, doesn't resemble that B$ topology schematic:

May 27, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #315 of 6,668
  Feel better, I filled in the missing piece for you :p

LOL! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back