Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Dec 15, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #6,617 of 6,668
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to get digital audio out of usb to feed another DAC? I know it's possible through optical out but the DAC/amp i want to use only has usb inputs.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #6,618 of 6,668
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to get digital audio out of usb to feed another DAC? I know it's possible through optical out but the DAC/amp i want to use only has usb inputs.

Edit: Found the answer in the manual; the micro-USB is for connecting to a computer to be used as a DAC or for charging, therefore digital audio out is not possible through USB.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #6,620 of 6,668
Is anyone here using the Mojo via optical with their ak1xxii DAP? If so i would like to know if (aside from the extra power the Mojo delivers) it is a worthwile improvement purely from a SQ perspective. Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #6,621 of 6,668
I recently picked up a used Mojo, and use it with my old AK 100 II. While it doesn't sound bad, in general I'd say it sounds a bit less clear and refined, and bass can be a bit rolled off, compared with using it with the Mojo. The extra bit of "air" around instruments and subtle details go missing with the AK alone. The only slight drawback for me is that some more sensitive iems may have a bit of hiss with the Mojo.

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #6,622 of 6,668
I recently picked up a used Mojo, and use it with my old AK 100 II. While it doesn't sound bad, in general I'd say it sounds a bit less clear and refined, and bass can be a bit rolled off, compared with using it with the Mojo. The extra bit of "air" around instruments and subtle details go missing with the AK alone. The only slight drawback for me is that some more sensitive iems may have a bit of hiss with the Mojo.

When you say less clear and refined, and bass can be a bit rolled off; are you describing the ak or the mojo? Reason i ask is because the mojo is often described as rolled off and also with a somewhat narrow soundstage, just want to make sure i understand your description.
Also, knowing what you know would you buy it again?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #6,623 of 6,668
Yes, the comments about the lack of clarity and bass roll off were for using the AK without Mojo. It's not a huge difference as some posts might have you believe, but overall I prefer the sound signature of the Mojo.

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #6,624 of 6,668
Yes, the comments about the lack of clarity and bass roll off were for using the AK without Mojo. It's not a huge difference as some posts might have you believe, but overall I prefer the sound signature of the Mojo.

Good enough, thank you.

Dec 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #6,625 of 6,668
Keep in mind that my past few posts are just my general impressions and not formed through any semi-methodical "testing". Mostly I've been using the AK Mojo combination to drive my Noble Katana iems, but I hope to have some time this weekend to try with my Mr. Speaker Aeons (closed back).

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #6,626 of 6,668
Keep in mind that my past few posts are just my general impressions and not formed through any semi-methodical "testing". Mostly I've been using the AK Mojo combination to drive my Noble Katana iems, but I hope to have some time this weekend to try with my Mr. Speaker Aeons (closed back).

Understood and looking forward to more of your impressions, thank you.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #6,628 of 6,668
^^I've been kind of looking around for a battery replacement service too. So far, no luck finding any method I trust (I'm all thumbs, so a self tear-down/install is not a route I want to go).

3 years with my AK120ii and it's still going strong. These days, in our throw-away culture, that's a long time with a DAP, LOL.

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #6,630 of 6,668
For all AK100II/120II owner, could you please tell how's the performance of optical out? I gonna get a ak120/120II to pair with my Chord Hugo. Does the AK120II optical out sounds better than the old AK120? How does it compare with AK240 as well? :)

Thanks
Hi,
Have you had a chance to compare the AK100II vs AK240 through optical out?
I have the same question.
I've heard the Opus#1 optical out against AK240 and can say that AK240 sounds WAY better.
I've been told the difference is due to the unit's DDC (digital to digital converter, which converts the bits/bytes to optical signal).
Anyone know if there's a difference within AK players (on optical)?
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back